Resistance: Fall of Man review @ IGN

deathBOB said:
I don't know. I personally only trust Gamespot, Gaming Steve, Ars Technica, Bit-Tech, and personal accounts found on forums like this one.
Odd. I find many of those sites biased. (Not necessarily in regards to consoles but other things ex. Ars = very Mac biased)

dotK said:
No game is worth $660+... publications just want to ride the hype train in order to sell more magazines or get more hits.
There's threads on this site saying that GoW is worth $460+...

I personally don't feel either is worth more than the game itself just pointing out that it was getting great reviews.

VoodooChi|d said:
Odd. I find many of those sites biased. (Not necessarily in regards to consoles but other things ex. Ars = very Mac biased)

Eh, they are all at least fairly free from advertiser influence (gamespot not as much, but they have a nice layout and don't stick ads directly into the review).

Darakian said:
No but you did say that the GI comment was a "stamp of approval". I'm just saying that that particular source is part of a business model that revolves around selling goods. Trust them if you like but I don't ;)
Every gaming site relies on people buying the consoles and games. If they didn't then the sites would cease to exist.

VoodooChi|d said:
Every gaming site relies on people buying the consoles and games. If they didn't then the sites would cease to exist.
Yes... I guess you could look at it that way, but, my point was that Gameinformer is gamestop. Thus they make profit when you actually make the purchase. Other sites do not make a profit when you buy a console or whatever.

Darakian said:
Yes... I guess you could look at it that way, but, my point was that Gameinformer is gamestop. Thus they make profit when you actually make the purchase. Other sites do not make a profit when you buy a console or whatever.
Every site "profits" when you buy the console as well just in a different way: Advertising dollars.

VoodooChi|d said:
Every site "profits" when you buy the console as well just in a different way: Advertising dollars.
Ummmm no.
Hardocp make $0.00 when you buy a ps3/wii/360
gamespot makes $0.00 when you buy a ps3/wii/360
etc...

Gameinformer makes money the MOMENT you buy your console of choice. Of course they will tell you every system has at least one game worth buying the system over it makes them money! It is true that game review sites like gamespot exist because we buy games but they do not make their money off our purchasing of products.

As I said in one of the previous posts, if you don't buy the products, you don't come to the sites to read the reviews, and they don't make money from ad revenue. If they don't make money from ad revenue the site ceases to be profitable.

Also, most of the ads are paid for by Sony, Nintendo, MS, or various game publishers. One of these companies isn't going to be too fond of paying advertising dollars to a site that criticizes their product too much.

Thirdly, the system will have no problem selling itself for a while and by that point there would be plenty of other "system selling apps" they could label.

sigh...
Ok I am not trying to argue that other sources get money from advertisements nor am I trying to argue that resistance is not a good game. What I am trying to say is that game informer is trying to sell you a product BEFORE anything else. They will tell you everything is great save for the most utter crap you can find.

Proof said:
The fact that other sites exist due to nothing more than our buying these devices does not change the fact that gameinformer is a branch of a retail chain. Would you trust the guy trying to sell you a used car? How about the guy selling you cigarettes? How about AMD or intel? nVidia or ATi? I know I would look to unbais parties. Other sites exist and make profit as a result of market activity, however, they do not make profit ON market activity. It is a different business.

On a side note nearly every EA sports game scored a 9.5 from the site... I dare say I found their target audience >_>

On the wiki article that you posted it said a Batman game got a .07...

Even IGN never gives scores that low so why aren't they trying to sell that game?

Darakian said:
Ummmm no.
Hardocp make $0.00 when you buy a ps3/wii/360
gamespot makes $0.00 when you buy a ps3/wii/360
etc...

Gameinformer makes money the MOMENT you buy your console of choice. Of course they will tell you every system has at least one game worth buying the system over it makes them money! It is true that game review sites like gamespot exist because we buy games but they do not make their money off our purchasing of products.
All gaming related websites indirectly make money with every console and game sold. More consoles and games out there leads to more people wanting information, which leads to more hits, and thus more money through ads.

VoodooChi|d said:
On the wiki article that you posted it said a Batman game got a .07...

Even IGN never gives scores that low so why aren't they trying to sell that game?
Oddly that review is not present in their database. Regardless, batman is a niche and fairly inelastic market they can slam it all they want because they know that sales will not be affected. This is the same for franchises such as zelda. I still got windwaker when it came out and will be getting the next one regardless of any score it gets.

@ dotK
I would argue that your reasoning is flawed. First and foremost you must already be viewing their site for them to have any sway over you. Thus if they try push console sales they will have the same market they had before. Gamespot gets readership by having reviews, commentary, coverage, media, etc... on things people want to hear about. This readership leads to ads which lead to money. This is why they have the multitude of media on their site, it draws clicks. An extra ps3 here or wii there do so little for gamespot that it would be counter productive to push consoles at the cost of readership (being called bias or whatever). Gameinformer on the other hand has readership that essentially given to gamestop customers and thus does not have to worry about readership. If some one reads a gameinformer and sees that resistance is something to buy a console over then gamestop corp. has made the margin on a game and a console. Now for that same game and console sold gamespot may have gained a reader but odds are it did not affect readership.

Gameinformer makes money the MOMENT you buy your console of choice.
IF you buy from GAMESTOP.

Didn't someone say R:FOM slipped launch? But I see that it's coming out on the 17th.

Darakian said:
Oddly that review is not present in their database. Regardless, batman is a niche and fairly inelastic market they can slam it all they want because they know that sales will not be affected. This is the same for franchises such as zelda. I still got windwaker when it came out and will be getting the next one regardless of any score it gets.

It sounds like you are grasping at straws if you have to discount a certain game because it's a niche market game according to you. If you say they are in it to sell a product then why would they bash something that they sell. Gamestop isn't making any money by that Batman game sitting on the shelf.

VoodooChi|d said:
It sounds like you are grasping at straws if you have to discount a certain game because it's a niche market game according to you. If you say they are in it to sell a product then why would they bash something that they sell. Gamestop isn't making any money by that Batman game sitting on the shelf.
Could be that It is just return on investment. Say they give the game a good score, how many people will care? Perhaps it is simply an exception to the rule, I don't truly know. I do however find it interesting that you grasp onto a single title and discount all other evidence that has come to the table; brittany's dance beat getting an 8 out of 10, nearly all sports games getting 9.5s, mario sunshine getting a better score than splinter cell, halo, or knights of the old republic, etc...

Why does this matter so much? Is it that hard to see that a magazine that is owned and operated by gamestop would have a vested interest in hardware sales?

Back