Resident Evil 4 (remake)

I actually pre-bought this one (I wanted to support the project), so I'm glad it isn't a letdown. After playing the demo, I kinda figured they hadn't screwed the pooch.
Yeah the demo looks fantastic, I pre-ordered the deluxe edition just because, this is easily a top 5 game for me, may be number 1 tbh. Still not all that happy about the crosshair we're dealing with but there's an option for choosing the color of a laser sight so I'm guessing it'll come as an attachment later. One thing I was super impressed by was all the graphics configuration options, pretty immense.

Can't wait to go all in on this, pretty sure it'll run great right out of the box. If there's an option to start playing early by using a VPN for another country I'll be all over it.

Last edited:
Looks like Capcom is still doing regional launches (midnight in your area), so changing your region via VPN is probably possible.

Reactions: w35t
like this
6 minutes for the UK, got my CDkeys key earlier and activated on Steam. Let's go.... SHould have it downloaded in 20 minutes or so assuming it launched at midnight.

Looking forward to the flood of information on this over the next few days. Hopefully it runs well, enjoy everyone.

Runs great maxed out 3440x1440 (12700KF, 3080 Ti) - I did encounter a Fatal D3D error (25) CTD though which I did not in the demo. Lowered the Shadows setting from MAX to HIGH and didn't see the error since then. Looks like when everything is maxed, there is a VRAM spike that happens randomly casing the error. I noticed a couple of frametime spikes on RTSS just before the error and VRAM jumps to 10GB then CTD so am assuming the VRAM exceeded 12GB at some point before crashing and not using system RAM to cache or something.

Lowering the Shadows to High resulted in the menu showing 12GB VRAM use whereas it was showing it would use 14GB before (once in game the VRAM use shown is lower in the main menu).

Average fps is 80 outdoors, over 100 indoors with RT enabled.

Wondering if they put in their own DRM solution like they did with RE Village. That caused stuttering. Cracker removed it, as well as Denuvo, and it ran better. Capcom later removed their own DRM but kept Denuvo which as far as I understand ran fine.

Ah could be, I am on gsync ultimate and frame locked to 75fps out of practice.

HDR looks so good on QD-OLED on this game too.

KvzeyyT.jpg

YZwcl7o.jpg

Did play with HDR on too for a while, very nice use of HDR, although it is much brighter than SDR which takes away somewhat from the darker horror vibe of its original intended SDR grading, and yes it's calibrated all correctly:

xoUCA9G.jpg

Did play with HDR on too for a while, very nice use of HDR, although it is much brighter than SDR which takes away somewhat from the darker horror vibe of its original intended SDR grading, and yes it's calibrated all correctly:
I have a Samsung C32HG70 HDR monitor, Samsung provides a color profile (.icm file) that can be loaded into Windows and I've also used the Windows 11 HDR calibration tool, which creates its own color profile. I've not yet tested the W11 HDR calibration with RE4, but in RE8, I found that using the Windows 11 HDR calibration made the game unnaturally bright or maybe even washed out and I could never get the in-game HDR brightness setting low enough (the box within a white box). When I switched back to the Samsung color profile, the game's HDR looked more like what you would expect from HDR. For RE8, I compared the demo running on PS5 + LG G2 TV to my PC, HDR wasn't washy on PS5, so I assume the game doesn't work well with the W11 HDR calibration.

Hmm not sure if that's what I observed as the white box adjustment etc were all as they should be, so because of that result, the HDR min/max values are aligned with what they should be and the game is just brighter than expected in HDR - At least from what I can tell.

View attachment 558990

View attachment 558991

View attachment 558992
Looks fine to me. The game starts in the early morning, and when the sun cracks over the horizon you can get blinding glare like that. The timeline of the original game has it take Leon around 2 hours to reach Luis for the first time, and he is knocked out for around 5 hours when they infect him with the parasite. So figure he starts the game around 7AM, makes it to Luis around 10AM, and wakes up around 2PM. The game takes place in a timeline of 20-24 hours.

Looks fine to me. The game starts in the early morning, and when the sun cracks over the horizon you can get blinding glare like that. The timeline of the original game has it take Leon around 2 hours to reach Luis for the first time, and he is knocked out for around 5 hours when they infect him with the parasite. So figure he starts the game around 7AM, makes it to Luis around 10AM, and wakes up around 2PM. The game takes place in a timeline of 20-24 hours.
You are right it seems! Playing CH2 in HDR mode now and it looks bang on.

20230324_181546.jpg

I do everything with the mouse, inc gaming and have seen no real issues. The Options+ software is useful for remapping the buttons to do other things in various apps which I make heavy use of too from web browsing to gaming and Adobe apps etc!

Resident Evil 4- Launch Trailer

Resident Evil 4 remake free DLC ‘The Mercenaries’ launches April 7th...

Even though not really a Mercenaries fan, at least it comes with this as a side game this time instead of all the other bullshit they've been pumping out (REsistance, REverse)

Oh well

7fua81.jpg

I just completed Chapter 3 and I'm impressed. They really did capture RE4 in a more modern game. The parries (and breaking knife) really are kinda necessary based on the sheer volume of enemies they throw at you. The 2nd village area (with the multiple levels in the hilly area) is pretty damned challenging. The dynamite guys used to be bait for clearing crowds, but in this one they're a problem.

The hardest part for me in the original (maybe not in terms of difficulty and maybe me just being retarded) IIRC was the platforming up before the giant Salazar statue

Wonder how that is in the remake

14GB VRAM needed at 1440p?...I wonder how much system RAM the guy has...I have a 3080 10GB and 32GB DDR4 System RAM

I have 64GB RAM and I think this is the same thing I've been bitching about in RE2/RE3

Yeah it’s definitely a vram hog. If you turn the textures up too high you’re likely to get the fatal crash error. I’ve had it a couple times. I’ve been playing at 4K using a 3080 but can’t turn the textures above the 2gb setting, which is annoying, but with everything else cranked the game still runs great.

Yeah it’s definitely a vram hog. If you turn the textures up too high you’re likely to get the fatal crash error. I’ve had it a couple times. I’ve been playing at 4K using a 3080 but can’t turn the textures above the 2gb setting, which is annoying, but with everything else cranked the game still runs great.

The problem is it still crashes even when the game/game settings tell you you should be fine (based on how much vram it shows/guesses you're gonna be using in the settings) - they need to fix their shit IMO

The problem is it still crashes even when the game/game settings tell you you should be fine (based on how much vram it shows/guesses you're gonna be using in the settings) - they need to fix their shit IMO
It’s only happened to me when the settings turn orange, well except for once when I alt tabbed out to watch a video, happened then too.

But yeah it looks like you just need loads of vram to run max textures at 4K these days. I’m still happy with my 3080’s performance though.

I have 64GB RAM and I think this is the same thing I've been bitching about in RE2/RE3

do RE7 and Village also suffer from this?...I've never played any of the RE games and those are the only two I'm interested in picking up

do RE7 and Village also suffer from this?...I've never played any of the RE games and those are the only two I'm interested in picking up

Don't have Village yet and haven't played 7 (not going to - don't like the way it feels in FPS mode)

But it's happened in 2/3 and the 4 Demo

So chances are 'yes' I'm going to assume

Only started once they introduced ray tracing to 2 and 3 (and 7 presumably) - before that I played with everything max through the whole game (both 2 and 3) without crashes multiple times

Just do it already, both are fantastic and they run great. RE7 is scary as hell and has the best villains, doesn’t quite get the recognition it deserves imo.

Just do it already, both are fantastic and they run great. RE7 is scary as hell and has the best villains, doesn’t quite get the recognition it deserves imo.

yeah the new games are what I'm most interested in...RE4 sounds like a revolutionary game for its time but I don't think it's a game-changer in 2023...the remake sounds good but seems like the people that played the original RE4 will appreciate it more than newcomers

Nvidia's planned obsolescence working perfectly, 4070 ti owners are next, two years it'll be the same problem with 12 gb cards.

Back