Replacement Heatsink/fan for Northbridge on IC7-G?

bluesdoggy

Limp Gawd
Abit's blue funky looking fan thing that sat upon the northbridge in the IC-7 G (the version before the Max3) has went out on my board. What is a good replacement to use? I don't overclock (overclocking a 3ghz proc seems akin to putting an aftermarket spoiler on a Hummer), just need something quiet that will work at stock speeds.

Thanks for recommendations,

Allen

I had the same issue with the northbridge cooler on my IS7-G. I followed the advice of the Abit forum crew and bought a ThermalTakeTiger 1 (link:http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1163.htm). It was super easy to install and runs quieter and faster than the stock POS. Abit also sells a direct replacement through ExcaliburPC. It is the same cooler that now ships on the IS7 and IC7-G boards.

I had one of the direct replacements from excaliburpc, and I've had a lot of problems with the stock clips that it uses. I ended up having to epoxy the original clips to the board so that the heat sink would stay in place. If that doesn't work I will have to just use arctic silver epoxy to hold the thing down :)

Just a little info for you

thanks for the info.. i may have to get the replacmeent stock cooler for excal, since i can't seem to find the other one for sale anywhere.

Anyone not had trouble with replacing it?

I replaced mine with the one that A-Bit sent me and one day I noticed it sitting on top of my video card. It had pulled one of the clips off of the board. I replaced it with an Iceberg 4 VGA cooler. :cool:

Mine is also starting to die.. What would the best solution be? Should I just order another one off of excaliburpc? Deke, in terms of that Thermaltake.. it looks kind of weird to install. Does the IS7 have holes for those clips? I didnt really inspect the stock fan too well, are clips similar to those holding on the stock hsf also?

I replaced my original IC7-G fan with the newer Abit fan and mine ALSO pulled a retension clip out of the motherboard and fell on my video card (thank god for my clear sidepanel) --- so, I took the board out and resoldered the clip back on and reattached the fan.... no problems since, but Abit FanEQ doesn't like it because it mis-reads the NB fan speed

I think the main problem is that the first version of the IC7, IS7, and IC7-G were designed with a 4-prong retension mechanism in mind - thus the mobo clips aren't designed to withstand enough pulling force to hold the newer '2 prong' retension mechanisms

If you're not going to overclock, I'd almost recommend using the Zalman passive NB sink (ZMNB47J) and glue it on with some Artic Silver epoxy - that way, you won't ever have to worry about the fan failing - From what I've seen, it's essentially the same cooling you'll find on the stock Intel i875 boards
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-17.html

Otherwise, you'll probably get the best cooling out of the Swiftech cooler (MCX159-R)
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/vid-20.html

I got to thinking - it might be tough to epoxy the Zalman to the NB --
If I recall correctly, the i875 northbridge looks like a processor akin to the old PCGA PIIIs or an Athlon - Makes me wonder how the NB sink is attached to the Intel board

Wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have an IS7 and my replacement NB fan has also pulled out a retention mechanism. Thing is, I'm running now without any sort of NB cooling, OC'ing a 2.4Ghz P4 to 3Ghz, and the NB itself is always cool to the touch. During full cpu load it never gets hot, even with ambient temps from 70-80f.

Now I know that there must be a reason for cooling the NB, perhaps I've just been lucky so far. To everyone who has tried using epoxy to get the retention clips back onto the board, how is that working out for you?

tenken said:
Wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have an IS7 and my replacement NB fan has also pulled out a retention mechanism. Thing is, I'm running now without any sort of NB cooling, OC'ing a 2.4Ghz P4 to 3Ghz, and the NB itself is always cool to the touch. During full cpu load it never gets hot, even with ambient temps from 70-80f.

Now I know that there must be a reason for cooling the NB, perhaps I've just been lucky so far. To everyone who has tried using epoxy to get the retention clips back onto the board, how is that working out for you?

I highly doubt anything you just said is true. Nb's CAN NOT run without cooling no matter how "cool" they feel. You will destroy your board running with no cooling on the Nb

Well, Im in the same boat as half of you guys. My only concern is I have a Zalman CNPS 7000... you all know that shit is big. So, Im not quite sure what would fit on my IC-7 NB.... any suggestions?

Thanks.

Back