Replacement for Hydor L35 pump

My Hydor L35 pump has started making some annoying grating sounds and it has been suggested that the only way to fix this is to replace it, it is also a little too big for my case and i have a hard time forcing to fit somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement that has flow rates a least close to this pump, is a little bit smaller and is still quiet. I have been looking at the Danger Den DD-D5, does anyone know how this pump compares. Thanks for any help.

The D5 will outperform the L35 fairly substancially due to its head value. The pumps are fairly close sizewise as well so it shouldnt create too much of a problem. One pump I would consider going with is the DDC. Its smaller and should have as good or better performance than the L35 and is pretty danged quiet. If you are into it you can even do a mod to the DDC (voiding the warranty btw) which brings it up to near top of the line performance but it takes a more courageous man than me to start cutting and drilling on a $70 pump ;) The MCP600/AquaXtreme 50z is also a very nice pump which is just about a match sizewise for the D5 and would also be a good pump for your loop.

A much less expensive version (although with less performance) would be a Danner/Supreme Mag3. Make sure to do the simple sealing mod if you go this way. I have heard of many people who were extremely happy with theirs although I dont know how dependable they are long term.

All in all if the performance of the L35 was good for you and size is indeed a concern I would seriously look at the DDC.

Danger Den DDC-12V

MCP600/AquaXtreme 50z

The links are for informational purposes. Both of these pumps can be bought at multiple online vendors so if you are interested in one I would shop around a bit first to get the 'best ' price.

thanks for the suggestions, I think the DD-D5 is looking good. I have heard that a lot of people have had problems with their DDC not starting up all of the time, does anyone know if this is still a problem or if it is not something to worry about?

another option would be going with the mcp655 which is quieter than the 650 and has controls to slow down the flow rate to quiet it down some more when you're not doing anything super important. it's a good pump and has good flow rates/head at the same size i think. it also runs on 12v dc and is designed to be used all the time.

MCP655 = DD12-D5 = Laing D5.
MCP350 = DD12-DDC = Laing DDC.

DDC issues were mainly starting current / voltage not high enough at PSU output due to initial pull of system firing up. A second later and the pump starts fine... so a lot of the time it was folks using on a weak PSU.

Back