Replaced PSU, lost RAID array

Murali

Limp Gawd
Anyone heard of this? I swapped out my Antec SmartPower 350w (or something like that, whatever comes with the SLK3700BQE stock).

I took out my HDDs and laid them aside as I was rewiring... As I plugged them in, I plugged the ICH5-R drives backwards, but I fixed that... I lost the array on my Western Digital drive though, with no rhyme or reason!

There goes 200 gig of data down the drain... Non-essential stuff though, thankfully... It my My Documets, Emails and stuff, but that gets backed up to a different computer at 4 AM every morning anyway... Only lost 12 hours of essential data... and nothing essential happened.

Did you plug each drive exactly where it was before? Like, beofre Drive 1 was in slot 1 and Drive 2 was in slot 2. Did you make sure you put them EXACTLY like they were before, and didn't accidentally put Drive 1 in slot 2, and Drive 2 in slot 1?

Where was the WD connected to? The ICH5R? And how did you have it RAIDed?
I did the same thing with my Raptors but I was able to go back into the RAID tools and have it readd the drive to the array with no loss.

The WD was by itself on the promise controller...

I flipped out the PSU with an OCZ ModStream 520w (the 350 wasn't cutting it with everything running (check sig))

It was no big loss, I don't really mind... I just wondered if anyone heard of this before?

I paired up the new 200 gb Maxtor with the 200 gb WD... so its big deal, just curious.

I will tell you a sad tale

once apon a time your moderator made the mistake of reading the RAID manual
thus he beleived the claims that his HDDs would be automatically re-recognized when attached
and failed to keep track of which drives went with which channels
unfortunately there was a BIOS issue with his card, and it didnt re-recognize the drives

Dual Channel RAID
AB BA

Tri Channel RAID
ABC ACB BAC
BCA CBA CAB

Quad Channel RAID
ABCD ABDC ACBD ACDB ADCB ADBC
BACD BADC BCDA BCAD BDCA BDAC
CABD CADB CBDA CBAD CDAB CDBA
DACB DABC DBCA DBAC DCBA DCAB

and alas what your poor narrator had
a six channel RAID :rolleyes:

back on topic
Im not sure what you maen when you say the WD was by itself?

The Promise controller has 2 SATA ports and a ATA port. All I had plugged into the PROMISE controller before I put in the OCZ powersupply was the WD SATA drive.

After I put in the OCZ powersupply, I had 1 (of the 2) SATA ports taken, and a Maxtor ATA plugged into the ATA. It recognized the ATA drive as having an array (I put an array on there when I had my Antec SmartPower in, until I realized I didn't have enough power for it and unplugged it), but now came up as my WD being "Free" to use.

Need to add this:

The WD drive wasn't a true array... I just set it up as a 0+1 array (I think thats what it was) so I could use it... I didn't want to set the Promise controller as an ATA controller, I let it do the RAID thing.

So basically the WD drive was an array on its own.

well it doesnt sound like a power problem,
rather a configuration issue
since there was no really array (no stripe set) that all the data is still there to recover
provided its not been overwritten

PS sigs need to be 10 lines or less
better fix that before a mod sees it :p

Wasn't findable through windows, would have to use a utility to recover it...

I did consider grabbing the data off, but nothing was vital so I just made it a true array with the Maxtor...

I was just curious as to why it occurred, maybe avoid it in the future.

Thanks for the warning :)

Taking out sharpie and shutting down PC slowly.

Ice Czar said:
I will tell you a sad tale

once apon a time your moderator made the mistake of reading the RAID manual
thus he beleived the claims that his HDDs would be automatically re-recognized when attached
and failed to keep track of which drives went with which channels
unfortunately there was a BIOS issue with his card, and it didnt re-recognize the drives

Dual Channel RAID
AB BA

Tri Channel RAID
ABC ACB BAC
BCA CBA CAB

Quad Channel RAID
ABCD ABDC ACBD ACDB ADCB ADBC
BACD BADC BCDA BCAD BDCA BDAC
CABD CADB CBDA CBAD CDAB CDBA
DACB DABC DBCA DBAC DCBA DCAB

and alas what your poor narrator had
a six channel RAID :rolleyes:

back on topic
Im not sure what you maen when you say the WD was by itself?

new sig? :p

a wise decision there are three million, six hundred twenty eight thousand and eight hundred possible permutations to a 10 channel RAID array ;)

(10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1=3,628,800)
you could hire a hundred monkeys to sit and type gibberish at keyboards
and theyd recreate your data before youd be halfway through trying the possible permutations :p

2 HDDs..........2
3 HDDs..........6
4 HDDs..........24
5 HDDs..........120
6 HDDs..........720
7 HDDs..........5040
8 HDDs..........40320
9 HDDs..........362880
10 HDDs.........3628800
11 HDDs.........39916800
12 HDDs.........479001600

Ice Czar said:
new sig? :p

a wise decision there are three million, six hundred twenty eight thousand and eight hundred possible permutations to a 10 channel RAID array ;)

(10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1=3,628,800)
you could hire a hundred monkeys to sit and type gibberish at keyboards
and theyd recreate your data before youd be halfway through trying the possible permutations :p

2 HDDs..........2
3 HDDs..........6
4 HDDs..........24
5 HDDs..........120
6 HDDs..........720
7 HDDs..........5040
8 HDDs..........40320
9 HDDs..........362880
10 HDDs.........3628800
11 HDDs.........39916800
12 HDDs.........479001600

Would it be possible for me to get a group of monkeys to recreate future data for me?

Now THAT would be fun. I could have the monkeys program me Windows XP+++ or something.

Back