Repair corrupt files?

rapid

Limp Gawd
I recently managed to recover the data from a crashed hard drive, but unfortunately a lot of the files seem to be corrupt as when opened they only display a bunch of nonsense characters (its mostly .doc's and other office files).
I've tried a few 'file repair' utilities but none of them managed to fix anything (couple of them said the file headers were corrupt). Before I give up I thought I'd ask if any of the techies here have had any experience with this before, maybe with repairing file headers or something?

The unsuccessful apps were: Ontrack Easy Recovery, Nucleus Kernel Word, 'Recovery for Word', WordFIX, R-Word

Thanks, the files are probably hosed, but one can only ask :(

Heya, just tried them both but you're right they only recover stuff thats deleted rather than corrupt, thanks though. hmm looks like I've found everyone at a loss about this o_O

When my harddrive went nuts and my files got corrupted, I merely did a scandisk and enabled "Automatically fix file system error" and "Scan for bad sectors" and then rebooted.. it did more than that. It repaired all of my files that got trashed when the harddrive went apeshit.

All my file names got chopped into 8 characters DOS types, but scandisk put it back to the way I had it.

I'm not sure what happened to my drive. The file table probably got trashed. It's working just fine right now.

Anyways, give scandisk a try. That might be all you need.

Back