Removing the P4 Socket 478 Stock Heatsink

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hi guys, my CPU went up today (after two days of use), so I want to inspect the core to see if it's damaged. The one problem is how do I get the HSF out gently? I use the stock cooler that comes with the p4 2.4C, it has the 4 retention clips that snap into the 4 holes.

Sorry for noobness, but I haven't had to do much removal of HSF (and this one is a bitch).

Yeah I had to take mine out a while back, it's not too tough, just be careful not to break any capacitors. Take your time, and gently lift it out. You have to lift the two locks, then push the four clips and you can lift it right out.

You cant inspect the core IHS is covering it.

and you take the Heatsink off just by lifting the 2 retention arms. Not the whole assembly.

just a warning, im pretty sure if you take it off your going to have to put some new thermal junk on it.

and yah just pull the levers back and then the next part was kinda hard for me, but just work on it and you should get it out eventually hehe

I tried the whole pushing down on the retention hooks that hold the heatsink and fan in place so that they release from the holes, and it didn't really work for me, so I pushed down on it and used a small screwdriver to remove each one from the hooks.

It's okay about applying thermal stuff to it, the CPU's dead.

Thanks for the help guys.

Excuss my rudeness but how in the hell did you come to kill a p4 :eek: I thought they were supposed to throttle down when the hsf died on pentiums:confused:

I dunno how the CPU died. The temps were 40 C idle, 50 C under load, but after 6 hours of Prime95 a few days ago, I woke up to find that the CPU was pretty much dead, and only a few days after I installed it too.

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
I dunno how the CPU died. The temps were 40 C idle, 50 C under load, but after 6 hours of Prime95 a few days ago, I woke up to find that the CPU was pretty much dead, and only a few days after I installed it too.

Can you rma it?

Yeah, I requested an RMA from Newegg, so I'm gonna ship it back to them on the weekend when I can get the box it came in.

Back