Removing raid from HDD's

dockerthedog

Weaksauce
Ok, here is my situation. At my work, someone had setup an ICY Dock external 4 bay enclosure as a raid 1 back up for a Win server. The dock was replaced with a NAS and is no longer being used. The server it was attached to has long since been replaced. I've been tasked with putting the two 2TB drives in one of our workstations; i.e. the bosses computer. I am by no means an IT person, but I build PC's so thats the closest thing we have. Now, knowing how important it is to keep said boss happy, I can't get the drives to be recognized. One will occasionally show up dis management, but as 3.8TB when the drive is a 2TB and the array was a raid 1. I tried connecting them via sata to PC and breaking the array in bios but they don't show up. is there any way to remove the remnants of the raid array from within Win 10 or a bootable usb or disc?

Thanks for your help

use the oem's drive tool to redo the drive.

edit: or try diskpart via an admin command prompt/powershell.

diskpart <enter>
list disk <enter>
select disk ? <enter> (? = disk number you want to erase,..be sure!)
clean <enter>

shove it in to a windows pc command prompt -> diskpart -> list disk -> sel disk (number of disk) no parenthesis -> clean

done.

then use disk management to partition it.

just make sure you pick the disk you need to fix.

Well, I tried diskpart with no luck. I think they might just be bad. Thanks for the suggestions tho!

Check it using Crystal Disk Info if you think it's bad, if it doesn't even show up you know for sure.

Wipe out the labels. If you have a Linux machine drop it in an "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX obs=4096 count=10". Replace "sdX" with the correct drive name. This will write zeros over the first 10 sectors (assuming 4k sectors, of course). Should be enough to make the drive look wiped to any disk formatting software.

Back