Removing heatsinks and voiding warranty question

n370zed

Limp Gawd
I have an MSI GTX 780 Ti Gaming coming in a few days along with some mx-4 thermal paste. Anyone with an MSI card or any other gpu knows which manufacturer that allows us to remove the heatsink to replace the tim underneath without voiding our warranty? I remember having 2 MSI 7950s and they both had the void if remove sticks on the screwheads but I didnt replace the Tims on those. I sold them due to the mining craze.

I bought 2 lightning 780. Both had the stickers. I called support and asked if installing water cooling would void the warranty. He said no unless I physically damaged the card by removing the stock heatsink or adding the water block.

there is not a single gpu maker that I know of(well except mobile) that places stickers over screws or whatever, the only way they know you did something, is if you tell them.

Asus, MSI and many of the others only care if you RMA it that you did not physically alter, or damage the card or cooling, so if all you did was change thermal paste, well that is not generally on their list of priorities (seeing as they usually slop that shit on anyways :)

MSI places 2 of those tiny round void if removed stickers on the 2 of the 4 screws on the bracket that holds the heatsink from the back. My 2 7950s and 780 Lightning both had those.

my MSI TFIII 7870 2 of them does not have said stickers over any part, nor did my 6870, nor did my 4870 both of them were Asus.

Most of the warranties I have heard is basically as long as you put the cooler back on so in essence they get the card back the way they sent it to you they don't care much, and again as long as you don't say "I overclocked and swapped the cooler for something better then your shitty one and the card blew up" they would not know any better, oh yeh, and swapping bios on the card is a no no of course.

Back