remove laptop battery for always on?

Corson

Limp Gawd
i recently got a laptop and was wondering, if i am going to keep it on 24/7, should i leave the battery out of it when im at an ac outlet area? i usually keep it in one room and dont use the battery much. the reason im wondering is that when i bought this laptop used from a friend, the battery was completely ruined, and i have a feeling it may have been from leaving it on 24/7. i think that leaving it in all the time may mess with the battery's memory or something.

thanks

that can definately ruin the battery (happend to me as well)...however, some laptop models will not work with out the battery (even when on AC)....but definately worth giving a shot...

well the only problem with it is that there must be somethign wrong with the ac outlet jack on my laptop, because once in a while it loses the connection, usually just when im moving around with it plugged in, so without the battery its going to shut off... so i guess thats better than ruining my brand new 90 dollar battery...

my college campus is big on laptops, thousands of people have them, and lots of people ruin their batteries like that. it would be a very good idea to keep the battery out while plugged, except when you are charging obviously. :)

that one thing i was wondering
my laptop is in my sig, and most laptops have a automatic shutoff when it gets fully charged, but i dont know if mine does, does anyone else know?

I thought Lithium Ion batteries automatically shut off when they are fully charged. Dont know how that would effect it though.

Why does everybody bring up the memory thing with batteries. Lithium ion batteries do not have this problem. They also benefit from shallow charges, which can actually extend the life of the battery.

Leaving your laptop running 24/7 w/ battery in is fine. I mean sure electronics are more likely to fail if they are used more, that is why they have a mtbf, but as long as your laptop has adequate cooling, i wouldn't worry about running it all the time. I run mine nearly 24/7 and have had zero problems with it. Of course you don't want the screen on all the time so I would suggest having it turn off after 5-10min of inactivity, because the life on the backlight is limited.

I have a 4 year old Inspiron 5000e Laptop that has three batteries. I ended up not using the thing at all for like a year and in that time all three batteries lost charge. I go back to using it again (i8200 had it's HDD die) and all three batteries took a charge and they kept it for quite a while, just like when they were new. I used the thing on my lap with two batteries connected for OVER 2 and a half hours and I had only dented the second battery. LiIon batteries just don't get battery memory. The most complaints I've ever got on Laptop batteries was NiMH or NiCd.

yes i work at radio shack so i know a bit about batteries, i was just wondering because li-ion arnt supposed to have memory and i guess cant, but i dont know why else the stock battery would have died other than because he had it always on. im sitll debating on whether i should leave it in or not, i dont feel like paying another 90 dollars in a year or so if i can avoid it...

Yea, it's an interesting debate. The owners manual for my laptop indicated that if you are using the laptop with AC power most of the time you should completely discharge the battery once per month to ensure there is no damage to the battery.

I have to admit it makes little sense to me but I've had my laptop for over a year now. I mostly use it on AC power but I use it with the battery on occasion and it's still holding the charge.

Batteries have a limited number of recharge cycles. LI-ION has a higher rating that other battery types but they still eventually wear out. I've heard many people saying they get 2-3 years of usage out of their laptop batteries.

LI-Ion in any notebook
they all have intelegent chips in them
when they are in a system
if the bat is below 97-98% charge is applied until the bat reaches 100%
if the bat is above 97-98% the bat does not get charged, trickle or full charge until it drops below the number again from self discharge

it does no harm to leave the bat in the system

i've been wondering about this too.

in the past, people have reported their li ion batteries dying even though their laptops were always connected to AC.

one of the suggested reasons is because older laptops created a lot of heat which eventually killed the battery.

i have a brand new centrino laptop and it stays super cool so heat isn't an issue. so far i've been leaving the battery inside all the time. i'm too lazy to remove it.

so you're saying that not even the heat of being in a running laptop 24/7 does damage to the battery? i'm not saying its memory or whatever killing the battery...but li-ion batteries still die

TheCzar said:
so you're saying that not even the heat of being in a running laptop 24/7 does damage to the battery? i'm not saying its memory or whatever killing the battery...but li-ion batteries still die

i'm saying heat probably plays a roll in killing the battery...

since my new centrino laptop doesnt get hot, i think the battery should have a longer lifetime. the new laptop doesnt heat up like my old ones.

Yea, I suppose that could play a role. I have to admit my Toshiba Tecra S1 gets quite warm on the underside but not hot near the battery, not even warm really. The battery is on the right side of the laptop and the only part that really gets hot is the left side.

In fact heat may shorten the life of the battery but the bigger thing they had to consider when designing the laptop would be the higher risk of explosion if the battery becomes heated, they had their reasons for keeping the battery away from the heat sources. :);)

Back