Remote Access

Matty2d

Weaksauce
I'm Using WindowsXP Remote Desktop, i have 3 computers connected through a router, if i want to remote desktop to #1 it's fine using the ip of the machine (still behind a router & firewall). The problem is when i'am outside of that network, using another internet connection, i don't know what IP to use? i know i have to configure the ports and probably use them in trying to remotly access those other computer probably as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:port , would it be like? , if so how would i do this?

Thanks
Matt

to find the external ip of your router, you want to type the internal one into a web browser inside your network (it should be something like 192.168.0.1).

this should bring up some sort of web page which lets you adjust the settings on the router... and amongst the settings there should be listed your external ip address. edit: bear in mind that depending on how your isp operates, this external ip *could* change over time at which point it may pay to have a look at a service like no-ip

bear in mind, that for this to work, you will have to also setup port forwarding to the machine on you network that you wish to access. according to the microsoft website the port number that you need to forward is 3389, using udp.

Ok i have followed all the instructions, i have port forwarded that port both UDP and TCP. In the remote desktop terminal Window i type the gateway IP address (the one being sent to the router), and i will not let me connect. It say it's not found. Again if i use the IP Created by the router it works fine.

Back