Released first, Llano or Sandy Bridge?

housecat

Gawd
I'm looking to pickup a laptop for light gaming (League of Legends and TF2), and interested in the new AMD and Intel platform with an integrated CPU/GPU.

Mainly interested in low heat and power requirements. Too many laptops (even slow ones) are very hot.. and I predict even Llano and SB will be a fireball when used for gaming so that's where I'm setting my limit on speed.

I believe the 1st iteration of SB will be DX10.1 and Llano is DX11. I see little reason to go with a 10.1 solution with AMD offering 11. But the CPU should be faster on the Intel solution, but the AMD should be fast enough for my uses. So whichever is released first is what I'll probably go with. I'd like one in a 14" 720P laptop...

Anyone heard any rumors when these will be released?

DX10.1 vs 11 is almost certain not to matter. DX11 features will be very unlikely to be usable in a low end GPU (and compared to discrete solutions both will be low ended); basic DX10 (DX9?) performance will be what makes the grade.

Performance being equal on older DX versions, I always go for the piece that supports the latest standard as well. I've always failed to see why that is a bad idea (one reason when I needed a new video card, why I got my 5870 instead of an Nvidia card that was pretty fast too, but had no DX11 support).

Back