refurbished

Bling

Gawd
are apple refurbished products a good way to go? Or is it better to just buy new. for example a macbook pro 2.2ghz refurbishedd is 1699 whereas new is 1999. Do they hold up well ? I was thinking about waiting until the day after apple updates said product and then purchasing a refurb, good chance i would recieve a previous generationn item left in inventory and just not sold?

DO IT!

Not only are they a great value, but they're re-certified by hand... meaning all the possible kinks should already be worked out.

Expect to recieve them in a brown box, with no manuals or wahtnot though.

My refurbished MBP is awesome.

Refurbished Apple products look brand new and usually work fine (I've only heard about issues from a handful of people). Even if you do have a problem, they have the same warranty as retail products.

are apple refurbished products a good way to go? Or is it better to just buy new. for example a macbook pro 2.2ghz refurbishedd is 1699 whereas new is 1999. Do they hold up well ? I was thinking about waiting until the day after apple updates said product and then purchasing a refurb, good chance i would recieve a previous generationn item left in inventory and just not sold?

I just received a refurbished macbook pro 2.2ghz (which cost $1699 instead of $1999, as you mentioned above). It is flawless in appearance and everything works the way I expect it to.

As for what you would likely receive if Apple had just updated a product, it would be a previous generation, since refurbs are usually returns because of something wrong with the item. So you figure that the item is returned to Apple and it takes them one or two weeks to get it back to a condition at which it can be sold. And Apple seems to stockpile them until they can put a bunch of refurbs up for sale at the same time. Sometimes there are no refurbs to be sold and other times there are many.

But if you wait for a couple of months after an update, sometimes the previous model will sell for a bit less than if you bought it immediately after the update.

are they scratched or have any other significant visual blemishes?

Not only are they a great value, but they're re-certified by hand... meaning all the possible kinks should already be worked out.

While this is usually true, I've come across a few that have been missing parts and also in very poor condition. As a general rule, they are in good shape though.

In my experience, refurbs tend to have a higher failure rate out of the box than new product.

I work in the returns department at an Apple reseller, so I'm not just basing my opinion on a purchase or two.

That being said, if you end up with a bad computer, Apple will swap it out for you or repair it without much fuss.

with student discount a macbook comes out to 1,000. and 1,300 for the black one. might as well buy new then

are they scratched or have any other significant visual blemishes?

I'm on my second Apple refurb and both items I bought looked brand new. I bought a blackbook for my wife and a macbook pro for me.

Do it. I've bought several machines refurbed. They look brand new, come preloaded with the most recent OS and iLife, and carry a one year warranty. I don't even consider buying brand new anymore.

I bought an iPod refurb. And it was all great but the only problem I had was the battery life. So I returned and bought a new one.

Back