Refresh rates?

I currently have a sony GDM FW900 24" CRT that is starting to get the jitters, so I am thinking about going to a Dell 24 or 27 incher LCD. However, I noticed the refresh rates at the rez i like (1280x1024) is only 60hrz? ....60hrz on the Sony shows terrrible flickering, and gives me a headache ...is the LCD going to give me the same problem?

No, LCD's don't refresh the same way CRT's do, there is no flickering even at 60hz.

But why the heck do you use a 5:4 resolution on a 16:10 monitor?? Also keep in mind that LCD's look best at their native resolution, so reducng it to 1280x1024 is not going to be very pleasing to the eye.

What Toompra said. LCD pixels stay at whatever state they are in til told to change. So, flickering is not an issue. Gaming on an lcd is a bit of an adjustment from a high end crt like yours. Be prepared for fast paced games to just feel off timing wise. If possible picking up another crt like yours would be what I would try to do.

Do you run at 1280x1024 centered/cropped or stretched on your FW900. Just curious, I could never stand stretched mode when I had a wide screen monitor.

The reason I run it @ 1280x1024 is because at 1600x1200 the text is pretty small and it will only stay stable/doesn't vibrate at 60hrz, having a 8800GT card doesn't seem to make any difference either. ....at the larger rez i can run it at 100hrz so I get no flicker = no migrains.

I stretch it but it doesn't look stretched to me ...it looks normal.

I got this monitor shipped two years ago for $400.00 so I pretty much got my moneys worth out of it IMO

Try a resolution like 1440x900 or something like that, the text should be fine then, dunno if it will jitter but its worth a try. You might have to create it as a custom res in your vidcard settings or use Pwerstrip.

Why not change the text size (or are you referring to text that is essentially a graphic)?

Back