Reformat Question

-Ever-

Limp Gawd
I bought an external 80gig Maxtor hard drive (firewire) about 8 months ago for backing up my system during a complete reformat/system upgrade. Everything went smoothly. I got lucky though because briefly after I reloaded all of my backed-up files, the drive crashed and forced me to reformat it (the maxtor drive). I would reformat it over and over and it kept on failing. I forget now what would happen, maybe it wouldn't complete formatting, maybe it would and want to again when I tried to save new things.
I'm about to reload XP for music production optimization and I need to back things up. I pulled out the maxtor to see if it worked now (maybe it was clashing with old drivers or something.) It prompted me to format it so I selected Quick Format. Ater 20 seconds it was done and it now is working. I ran all of the disk checks it has (including Norton's) and everything is fine. I'm a little afraid though. I'm thinking about doing a complete (not quick) reformat and I'm wondering what Allocation Size Unit is. Is a certain unit size more likely to fail than another...? What about for optimizing simple backups?
Thanks guys
-Tim

Just visited the site and that program is just for IDE drives. I tried it anyways and sure enough it can't recognize a drive to check (and doesn't have a browse function)
Thanks though

Went ahead and began backing some files up. My computer froze so I restarted. Now it says that F: is corrupted and needs to be reformatted :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back