Reddit Communities Go Private in Protest Over Policy Adjustments

At the very least, let them remove you, if you actually gave a shit you'd give up your "power" position as a mod. Who cares that site sucks anyway.

But then they would have to relinquish the imaginary power and imaginary purpose in life they get from being a mod. Now you can see the conundrum for such people.

Forums are a shit (ad) business model to begin with, Kyle can correct me if so.

As an overall class "user generated content" tends to generate far less cash per impression than non-user generated content. Thus, forums, social media, etc., all fall into that bucket. UGC gets further hit for brand safety in many cases.

However, Reddit likely makes it up on volume...

Their desperation at getting paid to be AI model data sets as evident by the API pricing leads me to think otherwise
The problem is the data is filled with a high percentage of garbage.

If I asked a question from a bot trained on Reddit I would not be confident in the answer.

The most upvoted replies on Reddit are often just the answers that people want to see, not the most accurate or best answers backed up by facts and real data.
Reddit is also plagued with tons of bot spam and voting, further polluting the data.
Also the average age of reddit is very young, especially for the active users doing most of the posting and voting.
Talking to an LLM trained on Reddit would be like talking to an average high schooler.

Garbage in garbage out.

If I asked a question from a bot trained on Reddit I would not be confident in the answer.

The most upvoted replies on Reddit are often just the answers that people want to see, not the most accurate or best answers backed up by facts and real data.
Reddit is also plagued with tons of bot spam and voting, further polluting the data.
Also the average age of reddit is very young, especially for the active users doing most of the posting and voting.
Talking to an LLM trained on Reddit would be like talking to an average high schooler.

Garbage in garbage out.

Which makes the desperation all that more hilarious

Reactions: erek
like this

Garbage in garbage out.
Agree

Quoted for truth.

Garbage in garbage out.
What about being able to coax gold Out of garbage tho-ough

Isn’t that the sign of a true leader? Anyone can manage a good situation: Good in good out 🔥

What about being able to coax gold Out of garbage tho-ough

Isn’t that the sign of a true leader? Anyone can manage a good situation: Good in good out 🔥
That requires critical thought. None of our AI systems are capable of critical thought. They're just glorified aggregators and correlators. It becomes up to the user to tinker with the AI to get the good out.

Garbage in garbage out.

too bad for you most of them use reddit as part of their training data pool.. either way reddit is an insanely useful site for data set training due to the fact that they have access to almost 18 years worth of scrapable data.

like this
They also use reddit as a way to choose which article to train on (so not necessarily training on reddit comments but using votes-comments sentiments about articles and train on the "best" ones), and those models are still being (at list until recently) train to read-write natural language, not just about knowledge, I am sure something moderated with point system was a gold mine for training models (and it often had someone asking a question with people answering, a model it was quite interesting in).

There rumors that google paid reddit for the access by upscoring reddit in search results.

That requires critical thought. None of our AI systems are capable of critical thought. They're just glorified aggregators and correlators. It becomes up to the user to tinker with the AI to get the good out.
Hmm, i'll research on it some regarding a Computational Model of Reasoning...

Critical Computation: Digital Automata and General Artificial Thinking https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0263276418818889

Towards an executive without a homunculus: computational models of the prefrontal cortex/basal ganglia system https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rstb.2007.2055

There rumors that google paid reddit for the access by upscoring reddit in search results.

have seen zero impact of that.. i still have to put reddit as a search term to even get it to suggest reddit links even though reddit is about 90% of my search quarries since it's the only usable source for 3D printing information.

Never in my life I found reddit useful in the slightest. If it disappeared completely overnight it would have zero impact on me.
It is home to the most toxic gatekeeping "communities" with moderators acting as lords and kings of their little lordships and kingdoms.
Even if in this one case they are right, I can not support them, because I know most of them are pos the other 364 days of the year.

have seen zero impact of that.. i still have to put reddit as a search term to even get it to suggest reddit links even though reddit is about 90% of my search quarries since it's the only usable source for 3D printing information.

Generally been my experience as well. Trying to search comparisons gives me loads of "Top ten" type sites with Reddit only appearing on the 4th page or later. Have to put in Reddit to get reddit specific posts.

Never in my life I found reddit useful in the slightest. If it disappeared completely overnight it would have zero impact on me.
It is home to the most toxic gatekeeping "communities" with moderators acting as lords and kings of their little lordships and kingdoms.
Even if in this one case they are right, I can not support them, because I know most of them are pos the other 364 days of the year.

I have found Reddit to be useful for finding real user experiences on things. Partly because google makes forums hard to find and partly because a large part of the internet population prefers Reddit over good old forums. I don't have a Reddit account and have no plans to make one (I prefer visiting Reddit through Teddit).

like this
Back