Red Orchestra....

Firewall

Gawd
So I saw teh hype about the game and got real excited seeings how I didn't really get into BF2 and css was getting stale. I pre-ordered is and waited patiently. Finally, on the release date, I fired up steam and started playing....

WOW, what a horribly, HORRIBLY, shitty game. Seriously, it sucks on so many levels I don't know where to start. In fact, I don't have to because I can sum it up like this: The whole game is just horrible.

No crosshairs? Are you even serisous? Also, you get killed and have no idea from where. Its even hard to tell who you teammates are.

So anyway, I play for a while and hate it. Low and behold, you cannot "return" the game for your money back. I can see why, but I still think it is BS.

I have two games in my steam account thaat I never play because I hate (red orchestra adn DODs). Nothing but wasted money.

So, the only thing I can do is to get the word out there and stop as many people as I can from giving thier hard earned money for this product. Play it before you buy it. Most likely, you'll hate it, trust me.

*keep in mind this isn't really a mad rant. I'm just informing all of you to try and play this game before you buy it because you might not like it*

Next time, why don't you do some research on a product before you buy it.

I love RO personally, played it since the 1.0beta of the mod version :)

I did research. Too bad I factored in the opinions of people like you who love it for some ungodly reason. No offense, I'm sure you do like it.

I guess it is just a lesson learned. No demo= no money from me.

I played this last night at my internet cafe..

never knew what it was.. and man, i'm glad I didnt buy it

I can definately see how it would be fun with a squad of tanks.. but i never saw the point of even trying to be an infantry man.

i took out one tank the entire time as a panzerfaust, it was insane trying to aim.

the cars are cool, very realistic (not that i'd know, never was a part of the Reich), but i like how many different views you can have in one position..

looks like it could be a great tankwar game, just needs work

and i didnt get why the LOD was SO low.. man, a car would be 5 feet away from me and be a complete blur on a 6800gt. i couldnt find any settings for it

you gotta turn off bloom and switch from DX9 to just DX in the graphics options

Yeah, if you're complaining about not having crosshairs just stick to games like Unreal Tournament, BF2, and your barbie dolls. Red Orchestra is about realism first and foremost.

Really dumb on your part to buy a game that is made for realism hoping for another ADHD kiddie FPS BTW.

I think it's one of the best FPS games to come out in a long time. If only more games has the same gameplay mechanics.

You should have known what you were getting yourself into a difficult game, not just another arcade game. It's a very good game, don't hate it because it has a learning curve/takes patience. Are you actually complaining about the lack of a crosshair? Try using the iron sights.

This game requires thought and skill, you can't just jump in and "pwn n00bs".

Maybe before you call infantry useless you should play an infantry oriented map... tanks dominate ground battles as they do in real life. This game goes for REALISM and does not make compromises. People don't have crosshairs in real life, we have to aim with gun sights unless you are an "ubar pwn soldier" with a camera on your gun like the Land Warrior system.

This game is not a shitty one at all, so if you didn't want your post to sound like a rant maybe you should have just said it didn't fit your taste instead of flat out saying it is a bad game. :rolleyes:

this game is shitty. im all for "realism" but not for games without fun, ie RO.

gurgle said:
this game is shitty. im all for "realism" but not for games without fun, ie RO.

There is nothing but fun about RO. It just feels right.

There are people out there who think that racing games are fun. I find them horribly boring... do you see me creating a new thread about how crappy PGR3 is because I didn't find it fun?
No.

Some folks out there like playing Halo 2 online... I find the players online to be immature and ruin the online experience. Do you see me making a thread bashing Halo and calling it's players morons and noobs?
No.

If you are going to make a thread about a game, and aren't going to offer any useful criticism in it... then perhaps you should rethink your decision. I'm sure everyone on the Xbox forums would be more than happy to agree with you, but the [H]ardforums are more of a level playing field. Regardless of what game you dislike, if you post how much you hate it, you WILL offend someone.

From reading your post, it sounds like you played one map and never really learned how to play the game how it was meant to be played. Give it a second chance... after about an hour's worth of playing, you'll start to see some of the subtleties of the game and learn what it means to use strategy. There is a HUGE learning curve compared to most shooters.

exactly

you need to play this game for at least 12 hours due to a steep learning curve

and keep in mind its on an old engine, so don't set your expectations high. many people were expecting it to be something it is not in the graphics dept. but it looks damn good for the age of the engine.

I think the infantry combat is awesome. Tanks are ok, nothing compared to battlefield.

Firewall said:
So I saw teh hype about the game and got real excited seeings how I didn't really get into BF2 and css was getting stale. I pre-ordered is and waited patiently. Finally, on the release date, I fired up steam and started playing....

WOW, what a horribly, HORRIBLY, shitty game. Seriously, it sucks on so many levels I don't know where to start. In fact, I don't have to because I can sum it up like this: The whole game is just horrible.

No crosshairs? Are you even serisous? Also, you get killed and have no idea from where. Its even hard to tell who you teammates are.

So anyway, I play for a while and hate it. Low and behold, you cannot "return" the game for your money back. I can see why, but I still think it is BS.

I have two games in my steam account thaat I never play because I hate (red orchestra adn DODs). Nothing but wasted money.

So, the only thing I can do is to get the word out there and stop as many people as I can from giving thier hard earned money for this product. Play it before you buy it. Most likely, you'll hate it, trust me.

*keep in mind this isn't really a mad rant. I'm just informing all of you to try and play this game before you buy it because you might not like it*

You bought a realistic FPS when you were expecting a totally unrealistic game like BF2 or COD2. Next time spend five second to research the thing. Uninformed rants are stupid.

It's good at what it does. What you are doing is like getting mad because you wanted RTS and you bought an Adventure game.

Firewall said:
I did research. Too bad I factored in the opinions of people like you who love it for some ungodly reason. No offense, I'm sure you do like it.

I guess it is just a lesson learned. No demo= no money from me.

If that were true you'd have downloaded the mod for UTK4. It looks like the research you did was read an ad for it.

RO is a great game. The realism is great. The guns are great....the blood is pretty good. The graphics could be much better and the movement of the characters could be much better. If RO had cod movement and graphics with RO gamestyle it would be the best FPS ever made. I know it uses Ut2k4 engine. Hopefully the next installment of RO will be with updated graphics.

I love RO.

You really sh ould have known about no crosshairs and stuff before you put money on it. Did you not watch any videos/read reviews?

RO is a realistic shooter, and for that it's a very good game. I'm a realism fan of course so I love it (that's not saying I don't like some arcadey shooters, but I tend to prefer more realism).

It's not a game for everyone of course, but for fans of games like Ghost recon/Operation flashpoint, etc IMO It's a very good game and can't be beat by many for that sort of gameplay.

WOW this sounds like my kind of game. The best multiplayer FPS I've played is Vietcong. It had no crosshair and a couple hits and you were gone. Some servers even faded the screen to black when you died and it stayed black until you respawned. RO seems to be the same kind of game.

Scream And Fly said:
You think DOD:S is a waste of money? Whoa....

considering that there were only 4 maps on release, no british, no MG34, no K43, no more buttsmack w/the rifels, crap iron sights for 2 guns only, how the enviroments look like perfect citys with just a broken tank thrown it so it gives the appeareance of "war" and lastly how all the solders uniforms look like they just came pressed from the dry cleaner, meaning they look brand new and should be war-torn and dirty...yeah i'd say its a waste

and on top of that it plays nothing like DOD 1.3....i mean, 1 garand shot to the chest, 80dmg? might as well just play CSS...

From the OP's description, it sounds just like the design of the mod on UT2004.

This is called realism.

Staples said:
From the OP's description, it sounds just like the design of the mod on UT2004.

This is called realism.

It's the same thing as the mod with a few enhancements like leaning, diving for cover and resting your gun on a surface.

This almost reminds me of America's Army.

If you run into that game expecting to go postal, owning everyone around you, you're going to get pwned on every level imaginable.

I tried it a few weeks ago, and it wasn't a very pretty sight at all... I got killed like 10 rounds in a row, and didn't even fire off a shot at anyone! I kept being shot from seemingly out of nowhere, so I eventually just gave up due to embarassment. :eek: :D

Definitely not my type of game! :(

133 said:
and on top of that it plays nothing like DOD 1.3....i mean, 1 garand shot to the chest, 80dmg? might as well just play CSS...

I haven't played DoD since 1.3b, but honestly I still have 1.3b. We get to together for LAN parties around here and play it all the time. 3.0beta changed the game completely and went on from there to turn it into everything else out there. A semi-realistic WW2 shooter. At least 1.3b was icredibly fast paced.

I'm sure 90% of people LOL'd when they read the crosshair thing. You preordered a game and you never played it's FREE mod predecessor. I mean, unless you've never had UT2004. :eek:

Hey all. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 bits about my recent experience with this game. I just downloaded on steam a few days ago and have been goofing around with it since then.

When I first started playing it after downloading it, I went in and started up one of the practice maps to see what it was all about before jumping into an online match. It doesn't have a single player campaign and unfortunately it doesn't have much of a tutorial either. It will give you some bots and some pop-up tool-tips while you play around on one of the practice maps though.

So I play around on the practice map for a bit and basically after about 30 or 40 mins I think to myself...this sucks...I wasted 25 bucks. Turn it off and go to bed.

The next night, I decide I'll give it another chance to grow on me. I jump straight into a multiplayer match and again I find myself pretty confused and not really enjoying it. Again I turn it off thinking I wasted 25 bucks.

The next day I read some reviews on the game and they're all ranting and raving about how realistic it is and what a great game it is. So...again I think I give it one final chance. But this time before playing I read through the online manual and even check out the RO forums a bit to get some tips for beginners.

I start playing online again that night at about 8pm, and what happens?...the next thing I know its 3:30 am and I still can't get enough of the game! I've never played a game that took that much getting used to to really get into it. But once you do, you really do see why so many people appreciate this game.

It is the most realistic FPS game I've played. When you get into a good online match it really can be fantastic. If you're into WW2 games and realistic FPS's, definately give this one a shot. The graphics are decent...definately not top up to Oblivion / Fear / Doom3 / HL2 but still decent. Its the gameplay that really makes this one shine.

It might just take a bit of playing around with it before it grows on you though.

Ok, that's my two bits... :D

Back