Red Orchestra on Steam!

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7297
http://www.steamreview.org/?p=25

Following hot on the heels of Darwinia, this month’s PC Gamer UK carries the news that the celebrated WWII UT2004 mod Red Orchestra, which won the ‘Make Something Unreal’ competition and with it an engine license, will be released standalone over Steam this January.

“And so another mod turns pro: Red Orchestra, despite making its reputation as a UT2004 total conversion, will be coming to us as a standalone game via Valve’s huge bandwidth.”

It seems that the Red Orchestra team have been working on their game for this standalone release, so expect some significant improvements over the current mod version

i think this is a good move...i just don't wanna have to buy the game again, being as i already have UT2004 and RO and i play it all the time and have been since V1.0 of ut2k3

discuss...

Maybe now more people will play it. The last time I played it there were like 3 servers.

pistol222 said:
So do you need UT2004 to play it?

the RO team won the rights to the UT2004 engine, so when its released on steam it will be standalone

That's pretty cool news. I've heard good things about Red Orchestra but I don't have UT2004 so I've never had a chance to play. If it's cheap I'll probably have to pick it up.

It looks like Valve's Steam system has started something big! They also have a few other games including a pinball game coming to the 'distribution system'. I'm definitely getting darwinia when it comes out on dec.14 - and I'll probably pick this up too.

Cool stuff, I'd really like to know how the profict margins are and everything. Considering there is no box/CD/manual that needs to be made.

steam already has a pretty good ww2 shooter in dod:s ... i guess they don't care if dod dies ... i don't understand why steam would do this ... dod:s has a good population base but this might thin it out ...

zacas said:
steam already has a pretty good ww2 shooter in dod:s ... i guess they don't care if dod dies ... i don't understand why steam would do this ... dod:s has a good population base but this might thin it out ...

dod:s sucks. I never play it. You can't hit anything with the recoil. I'd rather have the hitbox issue on css.

anyway, back on topic, I can't wait!

SWEET!

I'm really hoping this helps the RO team out.

I like both dod:s and RO, but I prefer RO's weapon models/iron sights/damage models.

I hope with this a lot more people will start playing RO.

Zzzzzzz... Eh, it's more of a victory for Steam than anything else, but it really doesn't make any sense. There's very little synergy here. It's like having C. Everett Koop selling skateboards. Hell, the Chewbacca defense makes more sense than this deal.

Back