Red Hat 9 Video Problems

drgh0st

Limp Gawd
Well I got Red Hat 9 Installed without a problem for hte most part on my Dell Inspiron 8600 (laptop). But for some reason it's not detecting my video card (NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5650). When I originally installed it I set my vid card as Geforce FX (generic) and I don't think it's liking it because everytime it tries to start up the GUI it would crap out on me. I booted it level 3 and tried using "redhat-config-xfree86" but it's not working. I'm a linux noob and I was wondering if there's any way for me to change my video settings. Thanks

There have been a number of problems with the video card in your laptop, but there are new drivers out. This site helps me with my laptop and linux:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html

The top two entries for your laptop have solutions to the video problem and look like painless fixes.

Hope this helps :)

-JediGuy_bob

omg that helped alot. Even though I'm a linux noob, I can follow along for the most part what they are saying and all. Yeah I had no problem installing it on my tower ( but that one is at home ) and i know have a laptop and I need XP for the basic stuff (word, and the likes) until I totally figure out linux. Thanks a bunhc.

Back