Red Dead Redemption for PC?

The one game holding up the sale of my last Xbox360. It really is my desert island game. Can't believe its already been 4 years since it came out.

I would gladly take a polished PC version over even GTA5 for PC if I had to choose. Unfortunately I'm taking this with a big grain of salt like every R* rumor, since most turn out to be bogus -- getting your hopes up will pretty much always backstop in disappointment when it comes to R*.

Also excited to see the Red Dead sequel that's supposedly in the works.

Last edited:
Nope. Its been long enough that they have little reason to both with what they are rumored to be working on. Makes more sense to port over the new GTA to next gen consoles and PC. RDR is a great game but interest in it has died out quite a bit.

As much as I'd love to see it... no way. Way too late. I'm not even sure GTA5 is coming to the PC at the rate things are going.

I'm not sure you're really understanding the point here. Its about RDR being spotted in Windows compatibility center. Not a debate on whether or not it should come to PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...Path=red+dead+redemption&TempOsid=Windows+8.1

Picture taken at 7:20:33 PM PST:

2014-05-12_19-20-33.png

That is either an error on Microsoft's part or a very bad joke on Rockstar's part.

If you can wait and are patient, a 360 emulator is in the works:
http://kotaku.com/ps3-xbox-360-emulation-is-coming-whether-you-like-it-1550715801

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7045037

The author is waiting on Mantle API to mature as it'll make emulating GPU calls easier. At this point, the emulator is at the same stage as the PCSX2 emulator was in the alpha stage-- gets to title screen but not much else.

I cannot begin to fathom the necessary CPU horsepower necessary to run either a PS3 or 360 emulator. However, with AMD's new X86 CPU coming in 2016-ish, and Excavator in 2015, and Intel's Skylake with DDR4 compatibility in 2015 or Haswell-E this summer, it may be "just enough" to fully emulate the consoles of the last generation.

Patience is key.

As much as I'd love to see it... no way. Way too late. I'm not even sure GTA5 is coming to the PC at the rate things are going.

Yep. Way too late, I was interested in playing it years ago. I don't even think i'd bother with GTA V if it came out for PC here soon.

4 years later??...better late then never...they better have added a whole bunch of PC exclusive bonus features

I cannot begin to fathom the necessary CPU horsepower necessary to run either a PS3 or 360 emulator. However, with AMD's new X86 CPU coming in 2016-ish, and Excavator in 2015, and Intel's Skylake with DDR4 compatibility in 2015 or Haswell-E this summer, it may be "just enough" to fully emulate the consoles of the last generation.

Patience is key.

And I can't fathom the lawsuit that would rain down on the head of anyone that released a 360/PS3 emulator - even for free. :) Especially when factoring 360's and PS3's are still being sold in stores.

No I would much prefer RDR sitting in my Steam library and moddable like GTAIV, than having to run an emulator.

Why would Microsoft know anything about red dead coming to pc? Their poorly maintained database gives little confidence that anything will come of this.

People will hype up anything.

And I can't fathom the lawsuit that would rain down on the head of anyone that released a 360/PS3 emulator - even for free. :) Especially when factoring 360's and PS3's are still being sold in stores.

No I would much prefer RDR sitting in my Steam library and moddable like GTAIV, than having to run an emulator.
Hence, better to just wait for a possible PC release over playing it in an emulator.

I tried playing RDR but like many games I got annoyed at the controls/UI and loading times because it was on console.

Even with the "bad" ports people complain about the loading times and m/kb controls would be better for me. Emulation also would not really solve these issues.

I tried playing RDR but like many games I got annoyed at the controls/UI and loading times because it was on console.

Even with the "bad" ports people complain about the loading times and m/kb controls would be better for me. Emulation also would not really solve these issues.

Loading times? I remember mostly the initial one. Unless you fast travel a ton or die a lot you shouldn't see many load screens. Even those weren't long.

Loading times? I remember mostly the initial one. Unless you fast travel a ton or die a lot you shouldn't see many load screens. Even those weren't long.

I think it was going to and from the menu? It might have been a combination of the controls and loading times. I don't mean level loading times. It was on the PS3 though which I heard might have ran worse than the 360 version? I'll be honest just navigating the PS3 menu itself to run games is frustrating :p

Not really a knock on the game itself but it just felt really slow overall in terms of actually playing it but it wasn't really game play related.

Also regarding the controls I have to admit at this point I'm just way more into and used to kb/m and not a controller. Even for many of the game types where it is common for people prefer controllers (for example Batman Arkham series) I still prefer kb/m way more. Really you can throw out every other console vs PC argument for me, just having kb/m support is a huge plus.

Funny this thread just came up...I just bought a used copy of RDR (which I haven't played yet) that will undoubleable be my last purchase for the Xbox 360

And no..its not coming for PC. Damn shame for sure but we will probably get some love at RDR2.

Funny this thread just came up...I just bought a used copy of RDR (which I haven't played yet) that will undoubleable be my last purchase for the Xbox 360

And no..its not coming for PC. Damn shame for sure but we will probably get some love at RDR2.

Don't forget RDR: Undead Nightmare :p

Well, I've always told rockstar that I would end the boycott and buy everything if they would just bring RDR to pc. I've heard it's such a great game. Until then though, they are dead to me.

Well, I've always told rockstar that I would end the boycott and buy everything if they would just bring RDR to pc. I've heard it's such a great game. Until then though, they are dead to me.

I'm sure they took your offer into serious consideration ;)

I wish these threads would die, simply because it makes me sad to be reminded that I'll never play RDR :(

I have to imagine there is a contractual reason why Rockstar never brought RDR to the PC; they know, as they have seen with GTA, that there are more than enough PC gamers who would buy the game day one. Financially it's in their interest to port the game, so there must be something else going on. Perhaps such an agreement has an expiry date on it?

Unless Rockstar officially comes out and says they are putting it out on PC, I don't think it will ever arrive.

The part I liked best about the game G4TV showed the hidden spots where gold was stashed in the game. Also liked the ragdoll drunk effect when you drank too much whiskey at the bar.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if GTA5 will even make it. If there's no announcement at E3, I'm just buying a used PS3/360 copy.

I wish these threads would die, simply because it makes me sad to be reminded that I'll never play RDR :(

I have to imagine there is a contractual reason why Rockstar never brought RDR to the PC; they know, as they have seen with GTA, that there are more than enough PC gamers who would buy the game day one. Financially it's in their interest to port the game, so there must be something else going on. Perhaps such an agreement has an expiry date on it?

Unless Rockstar officially comes out and says they are putting it out on PC, I don't think it will ever arrive.
An exclusivity agreement with Sony (GTA V) and Microsoft (GTA V, Red Dead Redemption) is common sometimes, especially for a year at most. However, if Microsoft made an exclusivity agreement with Rockstar on certain games that would last for let's say 6 or 8 years-- the typical life of a video game console-- then that would be rather unusual since I've never heard of an exclusivity agreement lasting that long. I would say it wouldn't surprise me, but at the same time these companies especially Microsoft would pay any amount to keep these games exclusive to their consoles for a set period of time especially to boost sales of their consoles. You have to remember the consoles make less money on ROI than the games themselves, even in the initial life of the console. If you just released a console and are selling it at a loss and wanted to get a ROI, then you want a game (or games) that are exclusive to your console to sell more of it over your competitor. You make money back on the games, not on the sales of the console.

Is it monopolistic or an act of collusion among the companies? Depends on your definition of those terms, especially if this was the case with RDR. We'll never know for sure, only Rockstar knows.

Could it have been the market conditions such as less (or declining) PC market than the console market that decided to keep these game(s) on the console than PC? Very likely, given companies crying declining PC market for the past several years. A case of crying wolf?

Maybe it was the costs of porting a game to the PC platform versus developing a newer game? Possible, since companies will always find a reason or scapegoat-- like piracy-- to not develop or port a game for the PC.

All of the above? Highly likely.

I've never played this game, but I would definitely buy it if it came out on PC. Dark Souls is another game I would have never experienced had it not been ported to PC. The best console games should always be released on PC.

Of course, exclusivity agreements for a particular console are common, and of course the groups make most of their money back on the games. The cost of porting such a critically acclaimed game is so small compared to the inevitable sales, it makes financial sense for them to bring it to PC (not that he is "the source", but I remember Michael Pachter detailing the cost of porting a long time ago). That's the only reason why I would have to imagine that there is something else holding them back; so far Rockstar have brought all of their other major titles to PC. Maybe they changed course after GTA 4...

Well, the dream is dead. Turned out to be a mistake.

The listing has been removed and my 360 gets another gasp of air.

Man Xbox360's and PS4's are still like $120 on craigslist. Got to wait another 2-3 years before I go back at play MGS4 and GTA5

If it was released on the PC I would get it. I absolutely loved RDR, I normally find anything related to the old west stupid.

But this game made it so entertaining and I loved every minute of it.

In related news, today Take Two announced a "new next-gen project due this fiscal year". Speculation is that its either GTA V, or the next Red Dead since the latter has been said to be a "permanent franchise" by Take Two. Whether it'll be for next-gen consoles only, or new consoles + PC, is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Glad to see so many of you still want a PC version.

Call me crazy, but I still haven't tried single player! I may have played the intro, but didn't touch it after that. It would be great to finally play it on PC (PS3 and games were stolen a few months back).

I absolutely loved the multiplayer. I spent an insane amount of hours on the PS3 version riding with the Borowski Brothers :cool:

The one game holding up the sale of my last Xbox360. It really is my desert island game. Can't believe its already been 4 years since it came out.

I would gladly take a polished PC version over even GTA5 for PC if I had to choose. Unfortunately I'm taking this with a big grain of salt like every R* rumor, since most turn out to be bogus -- getting your hopes up will pretty much always backstop in disappointment when it comes to R*.

Also excited to see the Red Dead sequel that's supposedly in the works.

I'd also take RDR on PC over GTAV...in a heartbeat. Played GTAV on PS3 for about 3 months and I was pretty much done with it, while I still enjoy playing RDR even today...it's just a superior game IMO. Then again, I also think the GTA series is seriously played out, especially on consoles.

I'd also take RDR on PC over GTAV...in a heartbeat. Played GTAV on PS3 for about 3 months and I was pretty much done with it, while I still enjoy playing RDR even today...it's just a superior game IMO. Then again, I also think the GTA series is seriously played out, especially on consoles.

I agree.

RDR is the best Rockstar game of its kind. This is their peak to date as far as I'm concerned.

RDR is the best Rockstar game of its kind. This is their peak to date as far as I'm concerned.

I definitely agree.

Strangely enough, it led me to meeting the greatest acoustic guitarist I've personally ever met. There was a short song that plays right when you enter Mexico for the first time. Unfortunately, this is the only time (that I'm aware of) that it plays.

I ended up on Google and found out it was by Jose Gonzalez. He even did a solo video for RockStar that's somewhere on YouTube currently (can't find it now, at work). Ended up with an IPod Playlist full of his songs and going to a few of his shows, even meeting the guy.

Strange how some games actually leave an impression on you, even when you're done playing them.

RDR is a game I played a lot on my 360. What a masterpiece. I would buy it in a hot second if they ever released a PC version. Alas, it will never happen.

I also think we can forget about another GTA past GTAIV on PC from here out.

I also think we can forget about another GTA past GTAIV on PC from here out.

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope for a PC version of GTAV to be announced at E3. I'll settle for a next-gen port, too...although I'd still very much prefer a PC version.
If we don't get an announcement at E3, it's never coming, though.

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope for a PC version of GTAV to be announced at E3. I'll settle for a next-gen port, too...although I'd still very much prefer a PC version.
If we don't get an announcement at E3, it's never coming, though.

I won't make any assumptions about what R* does or doesn't do at E3 -- they've historically never really attended .

Back