Red Dead Redemption 2

I keep putting off starting this game because it sounds too immersive...realism is great but in a video game there needs to be more game-ey elements otherwise it'll get very boring/tedious...
Everything feels very slow with long drawn out animations. Stuff like skinning animals is so tedious after you do it dozens of times.
You'll also spend about 90% of your time just riding your horse everywhere because fast traveling is extremely limited.

I gave up at chapter 3.

Everything feels very slow with long drawn out animations. Stuff like skinning animals is so tedious after you do it dozens of times.
You'll also spend about 90% of your time just riding your horse everywhere because fast traveling is extremely limited.

I gave up at chapter 3.

yup, I keep hearing the same...I do want to try it one day as it gets mostly excellent reviews but I might never get around to it

I tried to get into this game but the story starts so slow. I don’t like slogging around in the snow with these people I don’t care about and the whole premise just feels so contrived.

How do I just go off and go exploring on my own?

I never finish the game myself, but I did have a good time getting caught up stealing carriages and playing poker with the NPCs. Sometimes if I lost the poker game i'd shoot the winner in the head and steal the money.

I am surprised because I was instantly hooked and played straight through. In my opinion, this was the best single player game I played since the original COD and Star Trek: Bridge Commander

There was an episode recently, Sheldon is playing rdr2 and now Lenard tells him do you know you can take a horse, Sheldon says the horse was run over by a train and now he's mourning Quincey lol
:LOL:
I also had one horse killed by a train without the possibility of being revived, but I have already said that before.

Agreed. Occasionally TrentSix found it necessary to leave the safety of the brush and kiss a train. Which leads me to emptying a revolver into the carcass and reloading.

Other amusing things - interrupting a ram headbutting contest, or this gem. Out super north hunting moose and this 3-star bald eagle straight up dove and picked up his rabbit friend for an adventure. Animation for the little event was on par with what one would see in a nature documentary.

Fly high friends, fly high!

20230702122530_1.jpg

I am surprised because I was instantly hooked and played straight through. In my opinion, this was the best single player game I played since the original COD and Star Trek: Bridge Commander
Agreed and I've made comments on this board about RDR2. It's hands down the best SP ever. Strong words I know, and just my opinion. Maybe because i'm older now but the slow paced of the game works for me. Somebody mentioned the beginning is slow and how to get to the open world. Get passed the first few missions and it opens up.
Since RDR2 released, other open world SP's aren't as appealing. Metro Exodus while good, didn't hold my attention like RDR2, and Cyberpunk is underwhelming in every way compared to this gem. I'm sure there will be some SP game that topples RD2 in the future , but for now, on with my 4th playthrough! :)

Finally got the skin deep achievement.

1688863028575.png

The panther about broke my soul. The south 'Fen' one, at least for me in the epilogue, never ever EVER spawned. Reloaded 50+ times, left the area to sleep three days and do other things, etc. Never.

The Lakay one only spawned once as a Florida panther.

I was off to steal some cowhide and ran into one just outside the swamp. I'll be marking that to get back to scanning it for the zoologist achievement.

I f'n hate that panther.

I didn't even realize that I still have a lot of those ester eggs to solve, I still have undiscovered places, including the ghost train and aliens.

Finally got the skin deep achievement.

View attachment 582199

The panther about broke my soul. The south 'Fen' one, at least for me in the epilogue, never ever EVER spawned. Reloaded 50+ times, left the area to sleep three days and do other things, etc. Never.

The Lakay one only spawned once as a Florida panther.

I was off to steal some cowhide and ran into one just outside the swamp. I'll be marking that to get back to scanning it for the zoologist achievement.

I f'n hate that panther.
Which panther is that? That giaguaro panther?
I got rid of all the panthers and cougars.
But for one trinket, I think it's a panther's eye or something like that, you need a carcass, so not only the fur but also the carcass of that giaguaro panther.
I didn't know that, of course, and now I can't get it to show that I have that trinket, and I can't do it again.

I think the same is true for the lions paw trinket, as I have it, but in fact it is shown in the menu that I don't have it.
And I can't do it again, I solved all the legendary animals and everything else, I still have some hidden locations left, such as the fossil in the stone, crashed spacecraft and the like...(they call it easter eggs)
And normally I don't have anything older saved, I only save new ones, that's what rockstar did a bit stupidly, how will I hand over the legendary corpse of a panther if I kill her once and forget to take the corpse too.

I keep putting off starting this game because it sounds too immersive...realism is great but in a video game there needs to be more game-ey elements otherwise it'll get very boring/tedious...I keep hearing that it takes awhile for the story to get good, is extremely long and a lot of repetitive things to do, lots of walking back and forth etc...gorgeous graphics and a great story are impressive but the gameplay needs to be engaging throughout

I kinda' addressed this here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/red-dead-redemption-2.1962907/page-36#post-1045660753

SUMMARY:

"I can jump in for 30~40 minutes & "do the thing" (fish, hunt, rob, etc.) or sit down for 2 hours of story time & escape reality.

I ended up loving the game & it's in my top 10 all time favs."

It's like you are almost controlling a TV series...

*I wish DEADWOOD was a video game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
For me - it's kinda' like - SKYRIM / WITCHER 3 / GTA V = LONG STORY & I can play immersively or freely or murderously...

Damn it I'm really getting tempted to reinstall and replay this. I agree with a lot of the glowing comments. I think this game is one of the best of its kind. That doesn't mean it's perfect but it sure does a lot of things as well as can be done (to date.)

There seems to be quite the extreme yo-yo of difficulty with some of the challenges. Example - the gambler set.. ok.. win a few knifey-fingery games in three towns -done. Next - win three hands of blackjack with at least five cards. Hooooooly shit. Collectively nearing two hours of actual game play (in chunks) and only have two out of the three. It wouldn't be so bad if I could speed up the blackjack animation and movement..

Why else would they be adding that stuff to the site? "Rockstar Presents", are they turning into a movie or stage show? lol

That's a shame they didn't give it the full treatment but at least it makes it where it's not stuck in PS3 purgatory. It was a great game and I still think it's better than RDR2 but oh well.

Finally.. FINALLY.. cleared the stupid Gambler's challenge. Winning three domino games in a row was grueling and almost soul crushing. Thankfully got a 1v1 at Emerald and ground out that. Almost an hour of play, and only had to use the trick that if it's coming down to the opponent going to win a entire round of dominoes, breaking my two win streak, if it was on my turn I just left the table and rejoined a new game. This forfeited my entry fee but didn't count against my streak.

The win three poker hands was a bit more simple than I thought. Flatrock station, only three guys at the table, and at the fourth or fifth card flop I bet 2/3's of my money. Spooked most folk off to fold.

All I have left are five or so bandit, weapons expert, and two left in horse. Should 100% completionist it then. 98.8% done sucks.

The biggest problem with RDR2 is that it's not RDR1. RDR2 has a lot of stuff, no doubt, but it's missing the magic of the first game. RDR2 lacks the proper tone for a "badass" Western game. The game feels like it was designed by people who hate Westerns and those who enjoy them. On that note, American Krogan does a fantastic job dissecting the politics behind the game. Essential viewing for understanding Rockstar's political posturing with RDR2.

I never played RDR1, but if the remaster makes the rounds to Steam I'll give it a whirl.

I'll take a pass on the channel's point of view. I am fairly certain it wouldn't deviate too much from expectations.

Last edited:
I never played RDR1, but if the remaster makes the rounds to Steam I'll give it a whirl.

I'll take a pass on the channel's point of view. I am fairly certain it wouldn't deviate too much from expectations.
There is no remaster of RDR1. There's a PS4 and Nintendo Switch port.

There is no remaster of RDR1. There's a PS4 and Nintendo Switch port.
Well dang. I was under the impression it was a remaster. Since it's on platforms I don't play I guess nothing truly lost on my end. Ha!

The biggest problem with RDR2 is that it's not RDR1. RDR2 has a lot of stuff, no doubt, but it's missing the magic of the first game. RDR2 lacks the proper tone for a "badass" Western game. The game feels like it was designed by people who hate Westerns and those who enjoy them. On that note, American Krogan does a fantastic job dissecting the politics behind the game. Essential viewing for understanding Rockstar's political posturing with RDR2.
I respect your take, but will disagree. They do have different feels no doubt. Politics aside, I just somehow had a better overall experience with RDR2. That says alot since RDR1 was the best game up until that point. Amazing. Really in my eyes, Rockstar hit 2 grand slams. Very tough to do. OH and there's magic with RDR2 as well. lots of magic!

Finally got it done! Honestly after the gambler-dominoes roadblock the rest were massively more easy.

Seems grizzlies only need one poison knife in the face to kill without you taking damage.. assuming you don't care for the pelt.
Made the Vanhorn to Blackwater run in 13.5minutes on a non-arabian.
Wrangled all but two of horses in new Austin.
Cheesed the train robberies with tickets between Emerald and Valentine and swiping a can of food in the last compartment.

What a heck'n good game.

1693200157593.png

Back