Recommended Virtual Memmory Settings.

Slo Gun

Limp Gawd
What would you guys recommend as a good page file size, for a gaming machine using 2GB Ram.
Thanks

Thats probably the worst advice out there ^^

Definitately set a static page, either at 0, or at 1gb depending on your usage. The rule used to be page = double your memory, but that doesnt really come into play with 2gb. Personallly id probably go with no page file and force the OS to put the core in memory.

Don't use allow the computer auto select your page size.

Either force it to zero, or set it to a static value of 512 or 1024. With 2GB od RAM there is really no reason to have a HD base swap file.

If you are going to set up a swap file, put it on a separate drive than where your windows is installed (if you have a second drive) This little step will help out when it does use it. I've got mine set to 128 to 512 mb running with 2 GB of ram. Half tempted to just remove it all to gether. (windows thinks it need to be over 3 gb !)

Peace,
Tim

Interesting. I remember a thread not too long ago where the consensus was that setting the pagefile to 0 was one of the stupidest things to do, and that it would kill performance. In this thread, it seems to be endorsed.

Link to thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1011225

In my personal opinion, I think that setting the pagefile to 0 will hurt performance, but I've never actually tested it. Something tells me that Windows isn't smart enough to realize everything can fit in ram, even if you have enough of it.

Setting it to zero is not an option.
It seems to have some perculiar effect on my creative xfi.
Music and films play fine, but sounds in windows, such as the double click noises and pings, load up shut down etc. sound all fuzzy and distorted.
Not really sure why, but thats the case.
It was nice tho firefox loading up very quick etc.

Back