Recommended budget xeon & mobo for video encoding and gaming

Sender007

n00b
Hey dudes!

I'm looking at potentially upgrading my cpu and mobo to help speed up some video encoding if i can do it on the cheap.

I currently have an FX 9370 and it's ok but encoding 4k video takes forever.

Anyone have any suggestions on cheap ebay xeons 8 core+ xeons + mobo that could do that faster? I'm not against spicy chips if the price is right.

I also do some gaming on this PC so ideally it would be something that would not game slower than my current AMD cpu.

Really Appreciate any suggestions.

Cheapest to dual 8 cores xeon for $450:

Refurbished S2600CP Server Motherboard with memory and CPU, Natex.us

should be very good for encoding or anything heavily multithread. Not as fast as the latest skylake in single core but should still be fast enough for gaming. the board is also limited to 8x pcie 2.0 but would still be good enough.

with PSU, case, coolers, sound card, usb 3.0 card should come to around $650-700 without video card.

Not really looking for a dual cpu system. Just looking for something to replace my current cpu and board.

Single cpu lga 2011 board is still so expensive....

its crazy but its cheaper actually to go with that MB/cpu combo and buy an eeb case for $80... price wise doesnt make sense to buy a single cpu lga 2011v1 MB...

For the price/core performance ratio you cant beat that combo...

Would it maybe make sense to go with a LGA2011-v3 cpu and board then? Since those boards are like half the price.

Would it maybe make sense to go with a LGA2011-v3 cpu and board then? Since those boards are like half the price.

Well, you just can't win with intel. The boards are cheaper but the chips are not discounted. Those newer chips are at least as expensive as the skylake 6700k. There's no getting around to budgeting at least $400 for MB/cpu when you are dealing with xeon. For shear thread counts, the natex deal above are nearly unbeatable when you calculate price per thread/ghz. They do have combos with 64gb that are slightly cheaper with the e5-2650 but those are significantly slower so i don't recommend getting them.

Also keep in mind the x79 2011 board sometimes can be bought for 100-150. People have sold them right here and on ebay...but people jump on them quick. Since your a gamer the dual cpu boards are usually not the best route. If your in a hurry just buy a brand new 2001-v3 board and a 300 dollar 6 core and over clock it. On one hand theres the much newer tech, but the other maybe saving a couple hundred. Some of those newer 2001-v3 boards also run 400-500 bucks.....I kinda wonder just how great those newer value 150 dollar boards are TBH....even my board was 320 when i bought it years ago..it makes me wonder.

Personally i want my MB to be built like a TANK lol. (but i keep them a while)

Pure video encoding....No question! Gaming changes things slightly since theres no over clocking and thats going to hurt

i havent had too much issue with it paired with a 980 ti granted i overclocked them abit. but either way it beats a stock 9370 so it wouldnt be a bad choice

just for clarification witch 8 core xeons have you been looking at? those 4 extra threads could be beneficial imo

of course anytime you can get gpu help it would be better than using cpu. that goes for both games and video encoding. have to pick and choose your application.

That's a good video pendragon1.

I was looking at a 10,000$ xeon dual cpu setup.....but I'm not so sure now.....maybe I do just want a 6950.
It would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

=D

or it might be worth waiting for socket 3467 with a tdp of 260w and above they will be BEAST cpus. til then if you dont want to stick with your curent setup i would pick up a cheap i7 4790k and overclock it abit. that should be a decent boast on conformance for a small amount.

Gotta keep the OP topic in mind...."budget xeon for video and game" not "xeon set up at used car price".

I just bought an e31245 v5 (skylake) and an MSI c236 motherboard. The combo was about $450 if I remember correctly.
The biggest downside to the Xeon required c236 chipset is that it is limited to 2133 mhz ddr4. I was running ddr3 faster than that!
Still, it is a Xeon and should hold up better to 24/7 use that I will require from it.

Back