Recommendations for "Forum" Software ???

vilhiem

Weaksauce
I'm building my own forum for a group of us to share "stock tips" and was wondering what's the best/"easiest to set-up" software out there?

Anyone knows what HardForum uses?

What do you think of WordPress and using some kind of plug-in ...?

Thanks in advance!
Vilhiem

phpBB is another popular one...

I forget which one is free... and which one you have to pay for...

I visit several vBulletin sites, and I think they all look great. Clean, efficient, easy to navigate.

vBulletin is the best, but it isn't cheap. phpBB is free and can be made decent, although skinning and plugins are a bit messier with it.

I'm building my own forum for a group of us to share "stock tips" and was wondering what's the best/"easiest to set-up" software out there?
I'm going to assume that this is for a relatively small group. In that case, it's probably not worth it for you to invest in vBull.

phpBB is actually pretty robust, and you can't beat the price. :cool:

phpBB is EXCELLENT. Lots of add-ons and themes. It can also integrate with different CMS's out there, if you choose to do that.

Use Vanilla and Wordpress. Expect to write some php to get everything you really want.

I tried both SMF and phpBB... but I'll admit I knew nothing about what I was doing... I think SMF was easier to setup but an uglier setup and I didn't like it as much. But this was coming from someone who just read the tutorials and unzipped files on my server... at the time atleast. Now I would probably read a lot more and understand what's going on before I set something up so I could tweak it for whatever I need.

I think the most important point is to use a forum system that people are familiar with... I've been on forums that use vBulletin for a lot, so it's easy for me to find everything and I already know how it's all setup. So using something popular like either phpBB or vBulletin is probably the smarter route to go...

phpBB has a ton of user interaction, hacks, themes and everything else you'd possibly want.

Not to mention, 7,000 security holes, but I doubt you care about that aspect.

I used to hate running phpBB forums, have to constantly edit code to protect against the newest injection issues.

Granted, that may (and probably has) changed, and if thats the case, that really is the only fault I have with phpBB, its very robust, well supported, and basically it was the BB before others knew what BB's were.

If you're capable of editing text, fixing and modifying phpBB forums is pretty easy too. It doesn't require a TON of php knowledge as most everyone else has tackeled 99% of the issues you'd want to deal with anyone, and you just hack their code into your forums.

WOW ... you guys are the best !!! Probably why I like message forums so much :)

That said ... I'm working with phpBB right now ... had a few snags along the way ... but it's coming along.

I might like vBulletin better ... if it were only not so expensive.

Does anyone here know, if I use phpBB, is there a way to get the content of a new topic embedded into the notification e-mail ... similar to how it's done here?

Thanks again all !!!

Back