Recommendations for a new modem/router please?

Shadowprice

2[H]4U
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm pretty novice and out of the loop when it comes to modems and routers. I feel like it's probably time to upgrade as I've been noticing significantly reduced quality in our internet connection at home.

Right now I'm using a motorola modem that I kid you not, is more then 10 years old. I remember receiving it in 2005. I don't even know the model to be honest with you, all I know is that it's probably ancient by today's standards.

I'm also using a Cisco Valet router I bought refurbished off Amazon about 6 years ago.

I have to constantly reset our internet, signal strength drops significant in certain parts of the house. We live in a 2400 square foot single story home, and if anyone is streaming pretty much anyone else that gets on the internet cannot get any decent speeds.

We primarily stream media content and game on the PS4. We don't use any extenders or anything, I just need a good modern setup that will be easy to use and configure for gaming and streaming.

I'm wondering if it's better to do with the modems with built in WiFi or still get a modem+router combo? Any pros or cons to this?

My budget is $200 max, of course maximizing quality for value is always desired. Total devices in the home:

1 laptop
2 iPads
3 smartphones
1 PS4

ISP package: 30 Mbps, 2 upload

Thanks for any suggestions.

Personally, I'd rather have completely separate devices; modem, firewall, switch, access points. But I can certainly understand people not wanting that complicated of a setup. That being said, of the major brands of consumer home routers I would stick with Linksys. I like the WRT series, and before I switched to using pfSense I was a big fan of DD-WRT. Plus Linksys hasn't been subject to security problems like other brands such as TP-Link or Netgear.

One thing I would suggest is check with your ISP as far as what they say are compatible modems. You might be renting/included in your bill already and can get a new one that way. As far as router I also prefer Linksys but have only owned maybe 3 routers over the years so have not had a chance to mess with many makes/models.

First question is, who is your Internet provider? Without that information, it is very hard to recommend any specific models.

Back