Recommendation for Webhost

Vashypooh

2[H]4U
I am trying to find a web host that doesn't suck. Currently on surpass hosting and they are probably the worst web hosting company I have ever had to be near. They disabled our website with zero notice claiming we were dragging the box down we were hosting on and made us remove all of the downloads for our clan. As well almost every day our website will just LAG terribly bad.

So, toss me a recommendation on what you would recommend. Thanks!

I had Lunarpages for years, they were very good (but I didn't have a lot of traffic). Switched when I got the ability to host from my home.

hostgator was pretty good when i had them, never noticed any downtime and the pricing was too bad, plus you can find coupons a lot of the time.

Last edited:
I used http://1and1.com/ for a couple years and never had any complaints with speed or poor service. Not sure how they are recently but they definitely get my vote if I ever need another website.

What are you really looking for in a webhost? There's a wide world of options out there - from dirt-cheap, static-only shared hosting up through dedicated, managed servers or flat-out colo service. Throw in some VPSes and the assorted flavors of 'cloud' service and it becomes nearly impossible to provide a good answer.

To find a good answer, you need to describe what it is you actually want to host (static files, PHP, Rails, Databases, etc?) and how many people you honestly think are going to look at it and how much you want to pay for it. Once you get some requirements & budget constraints down, you can start getting meaningful answers.

As ameoba pointed out, it really comes down to what you're looking for. More often than not, high quality, great service/support, and reliability comes with a decent cost. I highly recommend liquidweb, I've used them for about 2 years, and they're far better than any of the hosts I had to deal with previously.

http://www.liquidweb.com

We just run a phpnuke website, IPB, web hosting for files that may eventually be up to 1gb in size. (Mods for ArmA2) Just a basic clan website.

Wants:

1) Fast Website
2) Fast Support who I don't have to cry because they don't know what they are doing.
3) SSH Access
4) Won't just shut the damn website off because something bothers them, instead will contact us to let us know there is a problem so we can work it out. (IE too much bandwidth or resource usage)
5) Cpanel would be nice
6) If they would let me add a separate IP as a sub domain to my account. I would LOVE THEM FOREVER. We have a dedicated machine with 20ip block that I host some game server stuff off of. However this isn't mandatory, and just would be a real nice thing to have.

Off the top of my head thats it.

www.Site5.com should be able to fulfill all those. You can also directly edit the DNS zone file which will let you do what you like with the subdomain.

I really think they are one of the best shared hosts out there after using lots of other ones. They do partake in the "overselling" idea of saying things like "Unlimited" space and bandwidth, but they truly do keep most of their servers running smoothly and not overloaded from what I have seen. They also have a custom control panel built on top of cpanel which works really well and is updated often.

You actually can look through all their servers here to get an idea of their load/uptime/etc.:
http://www.site5.com/support/currentstatus/

You dont get to pick a server, but it still gives you an overall idea of what their service is like as a whole.

I will add a third suggestion for Site5. I've been with them for two years now and only suffered outages when The Planet's been down. They have a great forum with active management involvement including one of the owners.

You can get a dedicated IP for your account, but if you want more than one you need to have an SSL. Check them out i'm sure it will be well worth your time.

I am 99% sure Site5 is going to get our business, the ability to use the dns zones as well as how fast they were to respond to a sales question on a weekend when it said they don't even work em has me kind of sold. Thanks a ton all!

Yup, I recommend them all the time. I honestly do not get anything nor am connected to them besides being a satisfied customer :p

I like that they are a bit more technical, having their own forums even that they frequent regularly, and they seem to be pretty open to feedback and suggestions. Their custom cpanel skin/interface is one of the best I have seen as well.

Back