Recommendation for a SILENT P4 HSF unit...

br0adband

Limp Gawd
Anyone able to recommend a good SILENT HSF unit for a P4 3.0C running at stock speed with no overclocking planned?

I'm building an HTPC out of this hardware and I want it QUIET... as close to dead silent as possible. The most common thing I've read for this hardware would be a Zalman HSF of some kind but I can't seem to make a solid choice. When Zalman put out their "flower" coolers I thought that's the one, but these days they have so many to choose from I'm not sure which is the right one.

Any suggestions you fine folks can provide are most welcome.

The main goal, once again, is QUIET. I'd consider watercooling if I could find a setup that would fit inside my Antec V
Antec Overture QUIET PC case

Thanks again,
br0adband

Try an Alpha 8942 with a Vantec 80mm Stealth fan. This combo is dead silent and more than enough to keep your non-o'ced proc cool. Or go for the Zalman 7000AlCu and use the included fanmate to set rotational speed to its lowest setting.

You think the Zalman AlCu unit works better than the Cu ? Maybe the combination of Aluminum and Copper is better... Hmmmm... time for more research.

Thanks,
br0adband

AlCu works almost as well as the Cu, and it's cheaper. For a non-o'ced proc the AlCu is a better deal.

Originally posted by Lyle
AlCu works almost as well as the Cu, and it's cheaper. For a non-o'ced proc the AlCu is a better deal.
running AlCu in my dad's and my friend's PCs - they are both very happy, because it's silent. SILENT, i say. :) and if you use the included zalman fanmate, it will actually run quieter than silent. yes, it will make things around itself be silent too. like a singularity for sound - sucking noise in. :) yeah, it's pretty quiet. get it - you won't regret it.

I use the Zalman cnp7000a CU, and yeah, its super quiet, and the performance is incredible.

I'm running the alcu version on my overclocked 2.6c and it's been great. Quiet performer. :D

Originally posted by br0adband
You think the Zalman AlCu unit works better than the Cu ? Maybe the combination of Aluminum and Copper is better... Hmmmm... time for more research.

Thanks,
br0adband

I've used them both, and i also think the ALCU works better?? Makes no sense, but that's how all Alpha's are , Copper center to pull the heat away fast, and alum. pins to release the heat fast, Copper likes to hold heat.

I've been using the ALCU for customers OC'd rigs, on both AMD and intel. Quiet and cools better than the Hair dryers of a year ago you had to use.

Err, copper doesn't pull heat any differently than it dissipates heat, same for aluminum. What they both doing is conduct heat, and copper conducts heat better than aluminum whether absorbing or releasing heat.

Now having said that most indications are that copper is really only needed for the base of a well designed heatsink, as that is where the most heat needs to be transferred the quickest. As you get further away from the base and spread the heat over a larger area aluminum will work just as well as copper. The big thing here is the bond between the copper and aluminum must not interfere with transferring heat between the alloys. Alpha does this with their cold forging technique, Zalman has a bunch of seperate pieces pressed together regardless of full copper or al-cu combination so the bond is pretty much the same.

If that doesn't make enough sense, think about this. How does the copper that holds heat get a good heat transfer to the aluminum that is supposed to be good at releasing heat. It's all about thermal conductivity, no more, no less.

But, get the AlCu as it should perform the same, with variations for fan performance and heatsink workmanship that will make the real (and very small) difference. Due to the design, both have the middle fins that directly contact the core as copper, these should be transferring most of the heat. The outer fins which absorb heat from the inner copper fins end up transferring less heat do not need the efficiency of copper to dissipate the lesser amount of heat relative to their surface area.

Now you may notice I have the Cu all copper model, but that would be because it cost me $30 and I couldn't find an AlCu for less than that including shipping. :D

Originally posted by Talz
Err, copper doesn't pull heat any differently than it dissipates heat, same for aluminum. What they both doing is conduct heat, and copper conducts heat better than aluminum whether absorbing or releasing heat.

Now having said that most indications are that copper is really only needed for the base of a well designed heatsink, as that is where the most heat needs to be transferred the quickest. As you get further away from the base and spread the heat over a larger area aluminum will work just as well as copper. The big thing here is the bond between the copper and aluminum must not interfere with transferring heat between the alloys. Alpha does this with their cold forging technique, Zalman has a bunch of seperate pieces pressed together regardless of full copper or al-cu combination so the bond is pretty much the same.

If that doesn't make enough sense, think about this. How does the copper that holds heat get a good heat transfer to the aluminum that is supposed to be good at releasing heat. It's all about thermal conductivity, no more, no less.

But, get the AlCu as it should perform the same, with variations for fan performance and heatsink workmanship that will make the real (and very small) difference. Due to the design, both have the middle fins that directly contact the core as copper, these should be transferring most of the heat. The outer fins which absorb heat from the inner copper fins end up transferring less heat do not need the efficiency of copper to dissipate the lesser amount of heat relative to their surface area.

Now you may notice I have the Cu all copper model, but that would be because it cost me $30 and I couldn't find an AlCu for less than that including shipping. :D

but what i did 4 years ago when i was making my own slot 1 waterblocks was put it to the test, when i read about why Alpla uses copper and aluminum.

So i tested it. Cause i didnt believe as you dont. Or just dont know or havnt tested what your read or someone told you.

I had 2 blocks of metal 2x2x4 inches, one copper one aluminum. Both had a 80 watt tec on them. I turned the tecs on on both of them with a Digital doc hooked up to both of them angdgot them both up to 80C each. Turned the tecs off, and watched the temps. No fans blowing on either. The aluminum one cooled down a lot faster!!! The copper one took 72 seconds to get back to room temp. Aluminum does release heat faster than copper

I also noticed that about aluminum on my Race cars in the past, Aluminum heads cool down faster.

Now haveing said that. You may try it on your own if you want. I posted this back in 1999 on here if you would like to search the archives with screen shots and all. I test everything i dont believe. All i used to buy was alpha's back then, I still have my Slot1 Alpha Cpu cooler with the 2 YS tec fans.

Originally posted by Lyle
Try an Alpha 8942 with a Vantec 80mm Stealth fan. This combo is dead silent and more than enough to keep your non-o'ced proc cool. Or go for the Zalman 7000AlCu and use the included fanmate to set rotational speed to its lowest setting.

I'd have to agree with 8942. Keeps my P4 icy cold with a medium speed quiet fan. A stealth fan and you're set.

I Used the Alpha's 8045 for AMD's and the 8942's up until 3 months ago for everything above budget. Till i tried the ALCU. quieter and better than the alpha's. I hated to admit then.

Never liked Zalman much for their past heatsinks of Years ago.

but expecially for intel, the easy mounting. AMD you still have to take the MB out. But then you do on the Alpha also.

Thermalright SP-94. The best there is. Get an uber quiet 92mm fan to slap on it, and you are good to go.

Originally posted by Tedinde
but what i did 4 years ago when i was making my own slot 1 waterblocks was put it to the test, when i read about why Alpla uses copper and aluminum.

So i tested it. Cause i didnt believe as you dont. Or just dont know or havnt tested what your read or someone told you.

I had 2 blocks of metal 2x2x4 inches, one copper one aluminum. Both had a 80 watt tec on them. I turned the tecs on on both of them with a Digital doc hooked up to both of them angdgot them both up to 80C each. Turned the tecs off, and watched the temps. No fans blowing on either. The aluminum one cooled down a lot faster!!! The copper one took 72 seconds to get back to room temp. Aluminum does release heat faster than copper

I also noticed that about aluminum on my Race cars in the past, Aluminum heads cool down faster.

Now haveing said that. You may try it on your own if you want. I posted this back in 1999 on here if you would like to search the archives with screen shots and all. I test everything i dont believe. All i used to buy was alpha's back then, I still have my Slot1 Alpha Cpu cooler with the 2 YS tec fans.

Ok, now I REALLY want to try some further experiments of my own. If I can find the parts without spending much cash, very interesting. I've never seen any similiar results. Don't have the parts for anything like that atm, but definately food for thought! Anyone feel like donating a heatsink fab and some tecs just let me know, maybe a thermal spectrum camera of some sort as well while I'm dreaming. :D

And I changed my 8942 for my 7000 also, at the same noise level it's a better cooler. Also, you might check www.silentpcreview.com , they have a direct comparison between the Zalman and several Thermalright's.

I also noticed that about aluminum on my Race cars in the past, Aluminum heads cool down faster

Tedinde, you say the aluminum heads cooled down on your race car faster. I assume you were comparing them to cast iron heads.

I don't see how comparing aluminum to iron is that same as comparing aluminum to copper... unless you had some copper heads on that race car, and if you did, that was one fancy race car motor:D

Back