Recommendation for a mother board for a 4670K system

diableri

Gawd
Hi guys,

Have a buddy that wants some advice for the last piece of his new computer.

He's already got:

Win 8
EVGA 770
8 Gigs of DD3
850 PSU
Samsung 128 840 Pro
Older HAF case.

General gaming. MMOs, FPS at 1080 to 2560-1440 depending on what he does with his monitor. He's never SLI'd before and is unlikely to do so in the future.

He doesn't want gigabyte after a bad experience with a brand new UD3H and some problems with the 770. I haven't been paying attention to ASUS or MSI because well... Gigabytes have been great for me for many generations now.

Budget no more than $200.

Is anyone running a Z87 and a 770 with Win 8 right now? The driver stuff stumped EVGA and gigabyte. It would not get past the restart of the driver install, not even installing with safe mode. A 260, 680 or 770 would not run on the machine with the GA Z87 UD3H but the 770 worked fine in my Z68 box when I tested it out.

This is the board I'm looking at going with. MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-...TF8&colid=1NC3LVR3DX7MC&coliid=I211ZPCASTLRFA

Ive used MSI for all my builds and have yet to have a problem so I usually go with them.

I'm using a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming with Windows 8 Pro and the experience has been solid. It runs my 4770K at 4.3GHz without issue, the limiting factor being trying to air cool Haswell without delidding it. The Z87-GD65 would have been really nice to have, but it didn't qualify for the $100 off promo from Newegg when I purchased.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm using a MSI Z87-G45 Gaming with Windows 8 Pro and the experience has been solid. It runs my 4770K at 4.3GHz without issue, the limiting factor being trying to air cool Haswell without delidding it. The Z87-GD65 would have been really nice to have, but it didn't qualify for the $100 off promo from Newegg when I purchased.

Which GPU are you using out of curiosity and did you have any hiccups on driver install for it if it's a 700 series nvidia?

Which GPU are you using out of curiosity and did you have any hiccups on driver install for it if it's a 700 series nvidia?

I'm using an EVGA GTX 780 SC (reference cooler) with an EVGA 650Ti SSC as a PhysX card. No driver installation issues whatsoever and am currently running 326.41.

Throwing in another ballot for MSI Z87 GD65. Running it with a MSI GTX 770 2GB. I did it more for matching looks... but it works well.

+1 for MSI Z87-GD65.

MSI has excellent customer service. I have the Z77A-GD65 and GD45 boards and they're stable. I haven't spent much time with them and don't have K cpus in them, but they work great at stock. heh.

I've never had any problems with Gigabyte, but my current Asus board is giving me some audio popping. I didn't do a clean install of Win7 though, so that may fix it. I know it's not my speakers or receivers because it works fine after I restart the comp. The popping only occurs after the computer has been idle for awhile. Anyhow, that's my only major gripe so far.

Thanks guys. He ordered one of the GD65's. Hopefully see how things go tomorrow or Thu.

Just as a follow up, the GD65 is working great. We never did figure out what was up with the Gigabyte board and neither did Gigabyte. It was returned after much head banging.

Thanks for the advice guys.

While Asus remains the safe choice, it seems as though MSI is the bang for the buck leader at the moment. If I was in the market for a motherboard right now MSI would be my top choice.

glad to see you like the GD65 - I love mine ( and the MPOWER) and can echo the fact that MSI has great customer service. I have called in a few times and been handled nicely ( mainly was about my issues with the windows 8 OS that was on my notebook that is such a fail of an OS - went to win 7 :) ). Something that may come up is with the application control of the Killer networking app manhandling the apps. I have it on my notebook as well, and since I have a decent connection I turned off the app control. Now apps that seemed to stall work fine, plus the inconvenience to me of training / app permissions is nada.

Back