Recommendation for 2nd wireless router/switch

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All-

I'm planning on running an ethernet cable from my current Xfinity router and installing a 2nd wifi router/switch to then run ethernet to the rest of my house. Any recommendations for a router to choose for this or should I just look at budget/affordable?

I use the LAN for gaming with the ethernet cables and WIFI for devices/work computer. The goal of the 2nd wifi router is just to boost signal since the current one is only OK.

Cheers and thanks for the input!

Almost any router that has good wifi will make a good access point. I'd buy local so you can easily return and swap if it doesn't do what you want.

What router do you have already? All-in-one Cable Modem/WiFi router? What kind? Sometimes it can matter when you have multiple routers/access points going since sometimes they do better handing off devices between access points if you pair the right ones together. Often that means same brand, though there are standards for WiFi roaming. Also you don't need to get a router. It might be the best choice depending on what you have, but as a general rule WiFi stuff with a wired ethernet port on it can be put in access point mode.

What kind of speed are you looking for? What can your current clients use and any plans for upgrades? Or do you just not care because all you do with WiFi is stream video and browse the web and use a wired connection for anything heavy? IMHO it's kind of a bad time to buy WiFi gear since WiFi 6E (tri-band 2.4GHz + 5Ghz + 6GHz) is just starting to come out but the ones that are available tend to be expensive. Tri-band stuff that supports the big chunk of 6GHz unlicensed spectrum that opened up recently (at least in the US and some other countries) will totally take over in not too long, but for now you're either paying up or buying gear that's already obsolete. I went cheap for that reason and just got what my 2019 model laptop could use. My laptop has 2x2 AC WiFi (aka WiFi 5), so the 4x4 stuff doesn't help me. I did get AX since it doesn't really add to cost, but just AX1800 2x2. By the time I have a 6E or higher client it'll be cheaper and probably faster than what I can get now.

Think you'd have any use for a >1Gbps LAN port in the reasonably near future? Some routers have ethernet ports faster than 1Gb/s. 2.5Gb/s is the most common, though there are a few high end consumer WiFi routers with 10Gb. Generally they only have one fast LAN port though, so don't plan on using one as a switch. Some only have a fast WAN port. Usually actually using a >1Gbps port on a WiFi router involves an internet connection faster than 1Gb/s or a laptop with fast AX WiFi and a NAS/file server/shared drive on a desktop.

What router do you have already? All-in-one Cable Modem/WiFi router? What kind? Sometimes it can matter when you have multiple routers/access points going since sometimes they do better handing off devices between access points if you pair the right ones together. Often that means same brand, though there are standards for WiFi roaming. Also you don't need to get a router. It might be the best choice depending on what you have, but as a general rule WiFi stuff with a wired ethernet port on it can be put in access point mode.

What kind of speed are you looking for? What can your current clients use and any plans for upgrades? Or do you just not care because all you do with WiFi is stream video and browse the web and use a wired connection for anything heavy? IMHO it's kind of a bad time to buy WiFi gear since WiFi 6E (tri-band 2.4GHz + 5Ghz + 6GHz) is just starting to come out but the ones that are available tend to be expensive. Tri-band stuff that supports the big chunk of 6GHz unlicensed spectrum that opened up recently (at least in the US and some other countries) will totally take over in not too long, but for now you're either paying up or buying gear that's already obsolete. I went cheap for that reason and just got what my 2019 model laptop could use. My laptop has 2x2 AC WiFi (aka WiFi 5), so the 4x4 stuff doesn't help me. I did get AX since it doesn't really add to cost, but just AX1800 2x2. By the time I have a 6E or higher client it'll be cheaper and probably faster than what I can get now.

Think you'd have any use for a >1Gbps LAN port in the reasonably near future? Some routers have ethernet ports faster than 1Gb/s. 2.5Gb/s is the most common, though there are a few high end consumer WiFi routers with 10Gb. Generally they only have one fast LAN port though, so don't plan on using one as a switch. Some only have a fast WAN port. Usually actually using a >1Gbps port on a WiFi router involves an internet connection faster than 1Gb/s or a laptop with fast AX WiFi and a NAS/file server/shared drive on a desktop.
Right now it's the Xfinity xfi cable modem/router. I don't have any new devices, laptops are all 3+ years old and so are cellphones so I was really looking at the Wifi router for better range and to have to run ethernet upstairs/downstairs from the middle floor. I have been looking at WiFi 6 stuff but I hear you on the 6E. I suppose I could get away with a simple switch and no WiFi expansion for now.

Yes, I use wired connection for anything heavy including gaming and even streaming to my apple TV. As far as >1Gbps, I sure like the idea but honestly I don't use the LAN for peer-to-peer networking/gaming between my computers, only to have a consistent/fast access to my internet which is currently Xfinity 150mbps service with no prospects of reasonable gigabit ethernet for a while. I use WiFi when I'm working from home with my work laptop but have had no issues so far. I always like to try to 'future-proof' but I'm looking to ideally spend round $150 or less, $200 hard stop.

Access point mode sounds like the way to go. I to need it to be a router, too, so I can have ethernet come out from it. The cable modem/router currently is on the other side of the room so running ethernet from modem to the new wifi/router would require the least amount of cable runs. Do you think it can do both Access point/router at same time?

I was looking at these 2, TP-Link Archer AX50, one but people said there were cooling issues (as [H] member that's unacceptable:

This appears to be the WiFi 6 successor, Tp-Link Archer AX73, with better cooling

There appear to be some complains if you want the extra privacy/security features/app you have to buy a subscription but I'm not sure I care about that immediately (although I will).

What do you think about these?

Thank you for your input, I've not done home networking in a long time (10+ years).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Access point mode sounds like the way to go. I to need it to be a router, too, so I can have ethernet come out from it. The cable modem/router currently is on the other side of the room so running ethernet from modem to the new wifi/router would require the least amount of cable runs. Do you think it can do both Access point/router at same time?
I think you mean it needs to be a switch too as your xfi is your router. And yes, most routers with an access point mode turn the remaining ports into a switch for hardwiring other stuff.

I think you mean it needs to be a switch too as your xfi is your router. And yes, most routers with an access point mode turn the remaining ports into a switch for hardwiring other stuff.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-gui...r-4-set-up-internet-connection#ug-sub-title-3

1644861147891.png

I think my confusion is what i'm hoping for is two wifi access points with:
  1. xfi modem/wifi access point - ethernet going to 2nd router
  2. aftermarket wifi router functing as: wifi access point and ethernet switch connected to #1, sending out 3x ethernet cables
I assume this is possible?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-gui...r-4-set-up-internet-connection#ug-sub-title-3

View attachment 444355

I think my confusion is what i'm hoping for is two wifi access points with:
  1. xfi modem/wifi access point - ethernet going to 2nd router
  2. aftermarket wifi router functing as: wifi access point and ethernet switch connected to #1, sending out 3x ethernet cables
I assume this is possible?
Yep, no problem. Putting a router in access mode just disables the router part and turns it into a combination switch and wireless access point. You may or may not be able to use the WAN port as a LAN port in access point mode, but all the LAN ports will still work. You could also use an actual access point or a range extender. Most range extenders have an access point mode as well, and many of them have an ethernet port. Down side is these two don't generally double as a switch. Gigabit switches are cheap so it's really more of a question of what you want to put where. Router if you want an AP and switch in the same spot. Access point if you want wall or ceiling mount for the WiFi and the switch elsewhere, though really keeping things neat involves power over ethernet so you'll need an injector or PoE switch. Those aren't too much. Maybe $50 for a switch, injectors are less, maybe $10? Wired range extender in AP mode + switch if you want them split up but sitting on a desk, table, etc. I've also seen range extenders that plug into electrical outlets. None of this stuff is expensive if you just want 150Mbps or 400-500 to cover a few Comcast speed increases.

Given your usage it sounds like you don't need much speed on the WiFi since you're not much between computers and your internet is 150Mbps, so I think you should be able to get a suitable router for <$100. I wouldn't bother spending much of anything on future proofing because of the WiFi 6E/new 6GHz band thing. Right now it's either pay up or buy stuff that's already obsolete, so I'd go cheap and just look for stability and sufficient speed. Rebooting routers/access points is annoying. That TP-Link Archer AX73 is probably overkill for some 3+ year old machines but it's only $164 so not too bad.

Yep, what 👆he said. :)

Depending on what your xfi is running, you can probably find a router that can be great as an ap for even cheaper than $100. If you're looking used, probably even less than $50. The Archer c5 I use in ap mode and a switch (just like what you're wanting) can be found be found less than $50 used and so can its brother the c7. At one point these were the darlings of wireless routers. And they still do a great job.

Yep, what 👆he said. :)

Depending on what your xfi is running, you can probably find a router that can be great as an ap for even cheaper than $100. If you're looking used, probably even less than $50. The Archer c5 I use in ap mode and a switch (just like what you're wanting) can be found be found less than $50 used and so can its brother the c7. At one point these were the darlings of wireless routers. And they still do a great job.
It seemed like the range on the AX73 was pretty legit and I don't expect to upgrade my wifi situation for 5+ years (although I do expect to have new computers/cellphones during that span). The aX50 seemed ok (or AX55, too) but apparently had cooling issues.

I'll look into those other C5/C7's you mentioned, the house I'm moving into is pretty big so I thought the extra range on the AX73 could be useful. Thank you both for your help on this one!

Alternative recommendation:

1). Buy your own cable modem and tell Xfinity to shove their cable modem/wifi junk that they "rent" to you for a monthly fee. Your new cable modem would be paid off in months.
2). Buy a good access point to plug into your new cable modem. That AX73 might cover enough of your house to not need a second AP.
3). Run your ethernet cable as you were describing and just buy a cheap 5 port switch to run your gaming boxes.

There is actually quite a bit to be saved each month from having your own modem, especially if getting a used one and not needing the latest model if you don't have 300Mbps+ speeds. Someone here might even have an older one like the sb6141 they'd give you for the cost of shipping. Even a newer model used is typically <$50 ime. With xfinity charging nearly $12/mo, that's less than 5 months for it to pay off. And then you can think of it as each month you have $12 more for the budget of your router and other wireless setup.

There is actually quite a bit to be saved each month from having your own modem, especially if getting a used one and not needing the latest model if you don't have 300Mbps+ speeds. Someone here might even have an older one like the sb6141 they'd give you for the cost of shipping. Even a newer model used is typically <$50 ime. With xfinity charging nearly $12/mo, that's less than 5 months for it to pay off. And then you can think of it as each month you have $12 more for the budget of your router and other wireless setup.
I’ll have to look again but when I signed up a few months ago there was a surcharge to modem so it was cost prohibitive. Plus their router is an access point. I’ll definitely look into this again

I think TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 Smart WiFi Router – 802.11ax Wireless Router, Gigabit Internet Router, Dual Band, OFDMA, MU-MIMO, OneMesh Compatible (Archer AX55) for $115 is the plan.

EDIT, looking at 2x of these now, $89.99 each (before $10 coupon):
TP-Link WiFi 6 Router AX1800 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX21) – Dual Band Gigabit Router

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-best-wi-fi-6-routers-of-2022/
https://www.mbreviews.com/tp-link-ax21-router-review/2/

This modem:
MOTOROLA 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 - $59
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1JCDPLP2335KA&psc=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All set, thanks for the tips!

Ethernet - xfinity router/modem
image.png

Motorola mb7420 - ethernet
image.png

Motorola mb7420/tplink - wifi
image.png

Back