Recommend me an Android Phone - Battery life, smallish size, and good updates are priorities

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I've been a Pixel user for several years now, but the battery life of this Pixel 7 I just picked up brand new sucks balls. I have to put on the battery saver just to get a full day out of it. I previously had a 6a and it actually seemed a lot better. I still had 30% or so at the end of the day. Pixel 6a was on a Verizon MVNO, Pixel 7 is on T-mobile. Not sure if the carrier itself is the reason for the poor battery life.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm currently on T-mobile, but I like having the option to use Verizon if I have to.

I don't want anything bigger than a Pixel 7. Honestly, I'd prefer smaller.

So far, I've been primarily looking at the S23. The Asus Zenphone 9 is nice, but Asus only does something minimal like 2 years of support. Maybe the Sony Xperia 10 IV? Any other options?

Last edited:
I'm in for the results of this thread. Also isn't it kinda hard to beat the specs of the pixel 7, isn't that thing like top of the line?

I'm in for the results of this thread. Also isn't it kinda hard to beat the specs of the pixel 7, isn't that thing like top of the line?

The battery life wasn't the greatest. Ideally I am looking for something with better battery life that's also a little smaller.

So far the s23 looks like the best option.

The battery life wasn't the greatest. Ideally I am looking for something with better battery life that's also a little smaller.

So far the s23 looks like the best option.
I just bought my wife a brand new S21 Ultra . It was brand new old stock. Got it for 475. It's gonna be a good mother's day lol.

I want something smaller that fits in my pocket.

Do you really have problems fitting larger phones in your pocket or are you just assuming that it's going to be a problem? My Samsung Note 20 Ultra has a bigger screen (6.9") than any of the S-series Ultra phones (6.8") and I've never had any issues fitting the phone into my pockets. Or are you one of those people that likes to use one of those obnoxiously large OtterBox cases that adds like an inch to the phone? I use a rather slim Incipio DualPro case.

Try turning off 5g. There has been issues on TMO and pixel phones with 5g

Sadly there is just not much in small phones with flagship like specs. PPL want big phones. I would like and red magic and look at what bands are there with a custom OS for consistent patching. Or dare I say apple 🫣🙃

Do you really have problems fitting larger phones in your pocket or are you just assuming that it's going to be a problem? My Samsung Note 20 Ultra has a bigger screen (6.9") than any of the S-series Ultra phones (6.8") and I've never had any issues fitting the phone into my pockets. Or are you one of those people that likes to use one of those obnoxiously large OtterBox cases that adds like an inch to the phone? I use a rather slim Incipio DualPro case.

Shirt pocket in work uniform.

Sadly there is just not much in small phones with flagship like specs. PPL want big phones. I would like and red magic and look at what bands are there with a custom OS for consistent patching. Or dare I say apple 🫣🙃

I know it is kind of sad but the regular pro iPhones fit perfectly. I just don't want one lol.

Battery life, no doubt iPhone 14 pro, software support and updates, no doubt Apple again. Just no comparison when it comes to long term software support compared to anything in the Android world. They also made the best smallish phones with the best specs in comparison, if that size really matters that much.

Not trying to troll. I’d at least check out a Apple phone…. Not the low end stuff tho, you may not be so happy with it.

Battery life, no doubt iPhone 14 pro, software support and updates, no doubt Apple again. Just no comparison when it comes to long term software support compared to anything in the Android world. They also made the best smallish phones with the best specs in comparison, if that size really matters that much.

Not trying to troll. I’d at least check out a Apple phone…. Not the low end stuff tho, you may not be so happy with it.

I get it. But an iPhone just doesn't really work for me. Simple things like plugging it into a computer and being to access files and photos doesn't work because of the walled garden approach. I've tried it within the past year or so, and I just didn't like it.

It's not that the hardware is bad or the size isn't right. It's simply I don't prefer iOS.

I have similar preferences but I don't find phones other than the Pixel phones. Just have to live with the battery life.

I have similar preferences but I don't find phones other than the Pixel phones. Just have to live with the battery life.

I'm sure I could make a s23 look and feel mostly like a pixel without too much effort other than the timely updates. The 6A was definitely smaller than the regular 7 even if it's only a small amount.

Don't get me wrong, I like the pixel, but I feel like Google is shooting themselves in the foot by rebranding/tweaking the Samsung exynos SOC as "Tensor" when even Samsung isn't using it right now.

Try turning off 5g. There has been issues on TMO and pixel phones with 5g

Problem is I don't get as good of service on LTE. I will have more frequent call drops and stuff like that. I'm sure I could always go back to another. Verizon MVNO if I had to though.

Back