Recommend me a router

Pipo

Gawd
Im using some old junky linksys that just isn't cutting it (packetloss, disconnects all day). I really wanted to get one of those nice Dlink ones but I can't afford to throw $100 at a router. Are there any other more affordable options? I like to game a lot.

you know, i've had the exact opposite experience between dlink and linksys. I'm not sure what linksys you have now, but I have a wrt54g and I love it (with modified firmware of course). I think a big think to consider is that both companies make products that work great, and ones that just don't work (stupid dlink pocket router).

Pipo said:
Im using some old junky linksys that just isn't cutting it (packetloss, disconnects all day). I really wanted to get one of those nice Dlink ones but I can't afford to throw $100 at a router. Are there any other more affordable options? I like to game a lot.

Have you tried troubleshooting it? What model is it? Latest firmware? Running wireless? If so...have you done wireless troubleshooting like changing default SSID and channels and locking it down? Latest firmware?

honestly..for under 100 bucks..you get what you pay for...you want top performance, gotta cough up the dough.

I concur. $100 isn't much for a router these days. I mean if you want one to perform and last for years to come. You have to look at it as an investment. You will end up spending more money in the long run and be less satisfied if you buy cheap routers.

I suggest the Netgear FVS 338. For about $150 you get one of the best throughput routers around, which sounds like you like to game, high throughput is great for gaming and anything else you wish to use your network for.

Of course, I concur you should try latest firmware on routers, WAPs, etc before calling it dead or dying. You would be amazed at what it can do for a product.

For instance, Netgear's WAP 302 out of the box seems like a mistake, but once you apply the latest firmware to it, it becomes rock solid and performs like no other WAP for the price. In fact, it changed my mind about purchasing Cisco WAPs. It performs that well, after the firmware update.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob2001

Make sure you stay away from the Netgear FVS318. Looks good on paper, and cheaper than the FVS-338 recommended below, until you read the specs carefully.

Even with the 10/100 WAN port on the Rev 3 version of the FVS318, the internal WAN to LAN thru-put is limited to 12.5mb/sec. I have no idea what Netgear's engineer's were thinking here.

I believe the FVS-318 is good for either 60 or 90 mbit/sec. I forget which, but either is fine and fairly future-proof for now.

-Larry

rsnellma said:
I concur. $100 isn't much for a router these days. I mean if you want one to perform and last for years to come. You have to look at it as an investment. You will end up spending more money in the long run and be less satisfied if you buy cheap routers.

I suggest the Netgear FVS 338. For about $150 you get one of the best throughput routers around, which sounds like you like to game, high throughput is great for gaming and anything else you wish to use your network for.

Of course, I concur you should try latest firmware on routers, WAPs, etc before calling it dead or dying. You would be amazed at what it can do for a product.

For instance, Netgear's WAP 302 out of the box seems like a mistake, but once you apply the latest firmware to it, it becomes rock solid and performs like no other WAP for the price. In fact, it changed my mind about purchasing Cisco WAPs. It performs that well, after the firmware update.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob2001

Back