Recommend a great 27" Monitor for under $350?

dolorousdave

Limp Gawd
So, I've been browsing the display forum quite a bit and most of what's discussed here is a bit over my head. I'm just looking for a great 27" monitor for gaming under $350.

So far I've found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-091

And this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+27%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LED+HD+Monitor/4880161.p?id=1218564871548&skuId=4880161&cmp=RMX

I'm sure there are better options out there, right? Not interested in any crazy IPS monitor shipped from outside the US.

Opinions welcome!

Stay away from this IPS Monitors i had a IPS234P and it had over 14ms gosting time and not only that it had also aggressive AG Coating and IPS-Glow.
If you want a good 8-bit Monitor then check out the Philips AMVA Panel Monitors for example the Philips 241P4QPYES (2011 Models) has a gosting time of 7ms. But i would say wait for a review for the 2012 models they are also cheaper and i hope also little bit better.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can go to $400 (and a Microcenter is near you), they have a panel similar to the Korean ones. Being local, you also get the benefit of a much easier return if you have any problems with it.

If IPS glow bothers you, then a 27" A-MVA panel may be something to consider. BenQ has some, as does Phillips, I think (Outbreaker mentioned them in another thread). Potential downside is that they are all 1920x1080. Although that could be an upside if your graphics card is not all-powerful. They may be a tad more than $350, however.

As for LED, I can't speak for that specific monitor, and am not entirely sure of the benefits myself. LED should use less power, put off less heat and be thinner. But in some cases may actually reduce the color coverage of the monitor. Some people are also prone to problems with LED flickering.

@outbreaker
Reminds me, have you seen any reviews on the Philips 241P4QPYES in regard to flicker problems? I saw a youtube video showing some flickering, and I think the prad review mentioned it may bother some people if they are prone to it. I expect it's no different than the U2412, etc. as far as LED flickering, but it's something to keep in mind if that sort of thing bothers your eyes.

This is the flicker test I was referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77xwAj0aWXo&feature=relmfu

Not exactly scientific, but if prone to LED flicker, it's something to keep in mind. I thought I read somewhere that flicker on that monitor was a problem for someone, but forgot where I read it. Looking over the Prad review again though, I think the backlight frequency was fine... so probably it'll be fine with most, except for the super sensitive.

Last edited:
I didn't know that this gets also called flicker the only flicker i saw was on my LG IPS235V.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGqSMp6BfzA
But if i do the same on my corrent CRT (iiyama Vision Master Pro) like the guy is donig in the video you posted then i get the same result.

Last edited:
I thought I read that pen (or hand waving) test was useful for determining LED flickering, but I may have been mistaken.

I tried it on my CRT just now, and it wasn't as bad as the review. Although perhaps my pen waving skills are lacking. Again, probably all moot, unless overly sensitive to LED backlights.

Phillips also put out that 27" A-MVA too, right, or has it not been released yet? I believe a 120mhz A-MVA panel may also be in the works, which could be something for the OP to wait for, assuming it comes in 27" sizes. Lack of 1440p could be a problem for some gamers though (unless of course it comes in 1440p too).

Didn't mean to hijack. I only mentioned the Philips 241P4QPYES stuff because it was recommended to you as a possible monitor to consider.

The A-MVA panels are, again, recommendations that may fit what you want, assuming the resolution isn't too low for you.

I believe the HP 2711X is a great monitor - it was on sale recently for $239 - beautiful monitor for the price.

If im not wrong then the HP 2711X is an e-IPS (6-bit) like a TN (6-bit) color Monitor.

I believe it's a TN panel and also 1080p.

To me, the newer VA panels at 1080p would be a better option. I admit I also really hate TN panels due to the angle problems.

Didn't mean to hijack. I only mentioned the Philips 241P4QPYES stuff because it was recommended to you as a possible monitor to consider.

No offense taken whatsoever--I actually thought it was funny how the thread went in a different direction so quickly. Thank you guys for your suggestions--as always, I'm learning a lot.

Back