Recomend me a router.

I suggest, especailly for the price at newegg for the linksys that you just go get a Wireless 802.11G Netgear router from BB or something, they'll run you about the same $60 or so. You might have do deal wiht a $20 MIR or something, but it's no big deal. You never know when you'll want wireless, especailly if you have laptops in the house. BTW, you also have a 4 port switch in the router for your wired desktops.

I'm using an SMC Barricade (model no. 7004VBR) router w/ 4 port switch. I had to RMA the first one I got though :/ But, I don't think that's indicitave of SMC's quality or anything, I mean, every product has a failure rate, I just got unlucky lol. Your main concern should honestly be price, because they'll pretty much all do the same things. "You never know when you'll want wireless" is a good point to keep in mind though, especially since ones with WAP's(wireless access points) built in don't cost that much more, and usually come with a PCMCIA wireless card for a laptop.

Originally posted by SB22
I suggest, especailly for the price at newegg for the linksys that you just go get a Wireless 802.11G Netgear router from BB or something, they'll run you about the same $60 or so. You might have do deal wiht a $20 MIR or something, but it's no big deal. You never know when you'll want wireless, especailly if you have laptops in the house. BTW, you also have a 4 port switch in the router for your wired desktops.

No wireless please.
right now im on a 4 port 3com switch..which is really nice..and small (bout the size of a light switch panel and is mounted to the wall unde rmy desk) so the linksys is what im looking at...but if there is something better id like to know :)
which is why im asking for suggestions.
Also since ive never messed with one personally how friggin hard are they to seutp properly and what not? I hate trying to send files to someone over yahoo or what not when they are behind a firewall and gotta turn the bitch off :(

I'd go with a Netgear. We do network installs where I work and recently we have had a rash of bad experiences with Linksys and D-Link routers. The Netgears have never given us a problem. The others would give intermittent drops and reconnects or lose settings like port forwards.

Not a scientific study by an means, but just real-world observation.

I have a Linksys 4 port router and love it. Verrry easy to configure and although it sure gets hot it's never given me one single problem. I love Linksys.

Go with Linksys, hands down, for one simple reason. They're backed by Cisco, which is the uber-networking company of the world. When you have a chance to get Cisco affiliated equipment in your house, don't waste that chance.

Originally posted by djnes
Go with Linksys, hands down, for one simple reason. They're backed by Cisco, which is the uber-networking company of the world. When you have a chance to get Cisco affiliated equipment in your house, don't waste that chance.

thank ya.
that was the first one to catch my eye. :)
but is there anything else anyone can reccomend to me other than the two i listed?

Just because Cisco bought Linksys and slapped their brand name on the router line does not mean that the Cisco engineering team redesigned all the previous Linksys products to meet some higher standard of quality.:rolleyes: They're basically the same product line that they had before the buyout.

The best advice you could go by is to read as many independent reviews as you can find on the potential choices that you look at, and always flash the firmware to the latest version before you go configuring the router.

Back