Receiver pondering

polobear

n00b
So I have an Audigy platinum (the original version, not version 2) and a set of the Promedia GMX 5.1 speakers. I'm currently using the digital coax out on the front panel of the audigy to pipe the signal to the GMXs.

It sounds ok (not great but ok for the most part) when it's playing. But these speakers hiss like the devil. I have tried reducing the output signal by muting pretty much every outbound signal on the PC and it doesn't matter, when they sit idle, they hiss. Klipsh's FAQs addresses the hiss problem w/ these speakers (by saying all speakers hiss--blah). It wasn't a problem until I recently moved the physical location of the PC--this loud pig had been drowning out the hiss.

In any case, I am convinced the hiss is from the DSP in the controller unit for the GMXs. Muting that takes the hiss away (but isn't very convenient). I have tried connecting a pair of the speakers to my regular stereo with encouraging results (no idle hiss). So my quandry is whether or not to toss the GMX controller (and sub) and replace that with a regular receiver and new sub (re-using the sat's until I can afford to upgrade those, too).

I am more or less satisfied with the sound of the GMX sats, but I know they could be improved... It seems to me like getting out of the 'pc speaker sets' would open my options quite a bit as far as upgrades go, but my question is: is my logic flawed? Will the receiver be a fix or was it a poor test because of the difference in signals between a PC and a regular stereo system.

It's not very convenient to haul my stereo equipment within cord's reach of the PC, so any thoughts or experience you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks!
pb

Welcome to the zoo!

Do you have a pop from the speakers when you turn you computer off or on? If you do, the problem is with the electricity going into your speaker amp. It's actually pretty common, especially in older homes and buildings.

There are a couple of solutions. You can run the speakers through a UPS that has automatic voltage regulation. You can also try some inline noise reducers that clean up the signal going to your speakers.

But going to a home audio system for your PC is the way to get the best sound. You'll have to use your analog out jack on the soundcard (not a bad idea anyway) but the signal itself will work great with a home audio setup. We went over the setup of a PC/home audio system a couple of weeks ago in this thread, ironically from another Klipsch owner fed up with hiss. I put some links on the second page to a shop that has really good information on how to set it up.

As I said in the other thread, if you're buying high-end Klipsch, Logitech or Monsoon speakers every couple of years it makes better sense to invest in quality home audio gear for your PC that will last and sound good for decades. Go for it.

BHD

Thanks for the reply and welcome :)

No, there isn't any popping, and yes, the speakers right now are run thru an APC 1500 UPS, so power should be pretty clean. I don't hear the sub (when I shouldn't), but the sat's hiss like an air leak on idle. I can't hear the hiss when sound is coming from them but I'm sure it's there and I just can't discern it.

That thread is what actually started me thinking about the idea of putting in a receiver as 'middleware' and yes, I was figuring to change to the analog inputs... I don't right now because the GMX series only has 2 analog inputs (L/R) and 2 Digital inputs (coax/optical), so I'm sorta stuck there.

Here's a side question, I guess... Is this a common problem with computer-type speakers or did I just make a poor choice on the GMX? I've read some Logitech owners complain of hiss as well and I'm being very careful in searching up reviews on the subs that I am narrowing to in the event that I pull the trigger on this change. Just curious.

Thanks again!
pb

It's a common problem with computer speakers.

The typical audio sources used on a computer, like game sounds, popular music and movie audio, don't demand a lot from a speaker system. These frequencies are easy to reproduce and can sound impressive (if not natural) if you put enough power behind them.

So you don't have to spend a fortune on studio reference monitors for your computer unless you listen to complex works of music on your PC or if you place a really, really high premium on natural sound.

But you do have to spend something or you will compromise quality, reliability or durability. This is where computer audio systems run into trouble. Consider this: The Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultra gives you five two-way satellites, a subwoofer, external control hub and a 500 watt (peak) amp for $369 and everyone involved makes a profit at that price.

Now try to put together a 5.1 system with home stereo components for $369. Unless you buy a low-end home theater-in-a-box, you can't do it. A stroll through Best Buy shows you'd need to spend almost twice as much for a cheap receiver, sub and five sats. To get a decent midrange system would cost more than a thousand bucks.

You know something about audio so none of this is news to you. But it bears mentioning because we computer users have come to believe that everything gets significantly better and less expensive as time goes on. But it's not true for audio equipment. Moore's Law doesn't apply to speaker cones. If it's a lot cheaper there's usually a good reason why.

In the case of the Klipsch hiss you mention, it is quality of construction and components. Hiss is normal if you're making speakers that would probably wholesale at $25 each and powering it with a preamp/amp you could make money on at $80. Also normal at that price range is muddled sound quality and a lifespan measured in months instead of years.

The standards for home audio equipment are a lot higher. A good amp is expected to work well for years and good speakers will sound good decades later. I think it's a smarter investment than any multimedia speaker system.

You can set up a home audio system for your computer on a budget, too. I would begin by searching the pawnshops until I found a vintage (1970's-80's) Marantz, Denon or Pioneer receiver. These have fallen out of favor as most audio users have switched to multichannel HT setups but they still make great sound.

Match this with a good pair of bookshelf speakers. I wouldn't try to cut corners here because you'll build the rest of the system around these speakers. I like Paradigm, but you can find a lot of good candidates in the $200-300 range.

You won't get a sub, not yet, but you probably won't miss it much. I'll bet you a cold beer the sound quality from a pair of decent bookshelf speakers is better than your GMX's with a sub on their best day.

That's the foundation. Replace the old stereo tuner with a new, midrange HT tuner when you can for $350-500, then add another pair of bookshelf speakers for a rear channel when you can afford that. Put a small sub under your desk for games and DVD's. And possibly add a CD jukebox to your tuner so you can enjoy your music without the quality compromise of MP3's. Run it all through your tuner remote. Of course you can mix and match these as you want.

It might take a couple of years to get all the pieces. But two years from now you'll have a great computer audio system while I guarantee someone with a six-month old "good" multimedia system will be in this place talking about hiss on their $300 system.

Sorry for the long answer, but I hope this helped.

BHD

Originally posted by BaldHeadedDork
Now try to put together a 5.1 system with home stereo components for $369. Unless you buy a low-end home theater-in-a-box, you can't do it. A stroll through Best Buy shows you'd need to spend almost twice as much for a cheap receiver, sub and five sats. To get a decent midrange system would cost more than a thousand bucks.

I can't put one together for $369, but I can do $450. You'd have to go with a low-end receiver in the $175-$200 range, but the Tivoli TDHT1 speakers are only $269 for 5 stats and a sub, and they sound as good as many sets costing $600-$800. They're certainly better than any PC speakers.

For low end recievers with high value, at great prices, try ecost.com. Both these models have analog 5.1 inputs and ample power to fill a small to mid-size room.

Denon AVR1403 Dolby Digital Pro Logic II/dts A/V Receiver Factory Refurbished by Denon
For optimum Dolby Digital and DTS reproduction, the AVR-1403 features high quality, wideband audio amplification, providing 70 watts power output for each of the five main channels.
Part # 1861066
Mfg. Part # AVR1403 Rec Refurb Universal $139.00

Onkyo TX-SR500 Home Theater Receiver Factory Refurbished by Onkyo
The unit is fully compatible with Dolby Digital and DTS encoding, and even includes Dolby Pro-Logic II circuitry
Part # 1753134
Mfg. Part # TX-SR500 Universal $129.00

Back