Received my 4th 2001fp

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
Well, there's barely any backlight leakage, (just a tad bit, but it's ok) but It still has about 10 stuck pixels, they're not too noticeable, since it's not red like last one.

The manufacture date is December 2003. So I'm guessing this is the newest batch....

*sigh* , should I return it again? but 10 is a bit too much... It may be more, it just glimpsed over it.

:mad:

You better hope Dell doesnt tell you to kiss off. But hey, you spend $800 you want the best right? Did they offer to take any off of the price?

They're gonna send me a 5th one.. =(

This is the last time I'm exchanging, the 6th one I'm not going to open it and sell it on ebay.

I did get a certain amount taken off my price, I'll reveal that once this whole situation is over with.

Why not keep sending them back? Not like customer service gives two craps about how many you sent back.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got mine, but it's issue free. I think you should expect the same.

Dell created their policy to make you happy for a reason.

I know that, but a customer purchasing an $800 monitor shouldn't have to return it 5 times to get a non-defective one.

It's a hassle sending it back and forth. Plus, I have to receive the monitors at work, and I'm starting to get worried about my boss saying something about it. Due to security reasons, I'm not supposed to receive and send too many packages out.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't mind. Since I'm never home, that's the only way it can be done..

I just got off the phone with Dell CS, and I 'm truly starting to hate them. I already talked to Tech support earlier, and before I got to tell her, she just transfered me over without even telling me. I called for a different issue... I waited on hold for 30 minutes for nothing.

I hate these indian reps...

Just sucks. Most people get a great monitor first shot. I usually have your kind of luck. <waiting for the smoke to come from the back of the monitor>

Maybe you could have UPS leave it at their distribution office. I've done that before.

i have a question.

I just got one today and its has no dead pixels.
But a small amount of backlight issue at the top right should i send it back to try to gett a better one or not?

hey guys, if i was paying $800 for a monitor, i'd be damn sure to get the best. you should do the same

Originally posted by enyceexdanny
I just got off the phone with Dell CS, and I 'm truly starting to hate them. I already talked to Tech support earlier, and before I got to tell her, she just transfered me over without even telling me. I called for a different issue... I waited on hold for 30 minutes for nothing.

I hate these indian reps...

I hear ya man. especially the part of the Indian reps which I LITTERALLY HATE TALKING TO CUZ I CAN BARELY FREAKIN' UNDERSTAND THEM! :mad:

that being that, I finally threw in the towel on my fourth or fifth replacement (cant remember which one) and had them issue me a $100 credit making my 2001FP's final price $701.

I can handle $701 for a 20" LCD thats only got 1 dead sub pixel which cannot be seen unless my nose is 2 inches from the monitor and I'm looking at a black screen. otherwise, its invisible.....

If you have no bad pixels and minor backlight issue you may want to keep it, give it a squeeze where the backlight problem is, it cured it for me. Bad pixels for me are not negotiable, they go back, back light if only visible during black screens, I can live with.

Begin rant,

And for those that say how can anyone live with these types of problems on an LCD, I say, how can you live with the blur and distortion of a CRT now matter how good. My Dell is focused edge to edge and no geometric distortion whatsoever without a single tweak. If you want to talk color, this matches my Sony e400 crt side by side dual monitor. Plus I play games and am not graphical artist. And for those that argue color problems on LCD, it is so minor if any, and how many of you whiners are graphic artists anyhow. Oh boy I must have perfect color balance to play Quake or LCD's suck, get real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get the LCD then whine, if you don't like it them you can speak, if not then you have no factual basis for your whining.

End rant.

This rant is not directed at anyone in this thread at all, I just had to vent, sorry all.
Sick of Negative people!

Backlighting issues look like a milky gray puddle on you monitor on an all black screen. Its usual around the edges.

Originally posted by Ramfart RANT RANT

I got my 2001 today and am still pinching myself. . . .

The negative people just don't know what they're missing. So have pity on them :)

Currently Im gathering info for my first build is this monitor 20" viewable? Also measuring with a ruler what do you get vertically and horizontally for the viewable portion AND the monitor overall for space reasons. Thanks.

Currently Im gathering info for my first build is this monitor 20" viewable? Also measuring with a ruler what do you get vertically and horizontally for the viewable portion AND the monitor overall for space reasons. Thanks.

Viewable

Horizontal ---------------Vertical-------------Diagonal

Pixels 1600 -------------1200 ---------------2000
Inches 16.08" -----------12.06"--------------20.1"

Outside dimensions

horizontal17 5/8" vertical 13 7/8", depth 2 1/2" to 3" no stand

Need more go to dells site, stand is adjustable.

Dell says that they can't send me a new monitor until they make sure what's causing the problem. They say that they want to make sure I don't need to call about this issue again.....

This totally blows...

The only reason I'll give it a chance is because of the discount I got, but still - they're seriously pushing it.

So they may not take it back? I call dips.:D But seriously are the problems you mention very apparent or are searching for them? You have had four already, I say just wait it out and go back to your CRT untill the tech improves are something better comes along.. Dell may put you on there permanent do not sell anything to list.:p

It's amazing that you guys over in America can't even think of going to a physical shop anymore... The way I buy monitors is find a smaller comp shop where I can actually connect the monitor to a computer and check its picture before I buy it.

The 2001FP can only be bought from Dell...you cant get it in a regular computer stores. They do have Dell stores but there very rare and only in the big cities.

IMH the technology with LCDs aren't advanced enough for the moment

i'll wait a few year

Originally posted by Due
The negative people just don't know what they're missing. So have pity on them :)
Apparently, I'm missing out on the opportunity to speak with service reps from foreign countries in some quest to get a screen that works properly out of the box. I'm missing out on knowing my UPS guy on a first-name basis from all the LCDs shipped to and from my house. I'm missing out on weeks of frustration, knowing that others are getting a nice screen while mine is a POS, five times over.

Yes, pity me, the poor CRT owner, because I'm missing out on all that. :rolleyes:

Even if I liked LCDs, I've read too many bad threads [H]ere to even remotely consider the Dell 2001FP.

It is indeed alot of hassle for a monitor that costs $800+.
but in some ways, it's worth it because

[1] Even though Dell's CS sucks, they still end up compensating you.
[2] The monitor is really nice, as long as it's not defective. I've sold my Mitsu 22" dp2070 and bought this to save space. but honestly, I favor this monitor much more.

but you're not missing out on anything though, since the longer you wait - the better chance you'll get a better monitor (revision) and for a lower price.

It's amazing that you guys over in America can't even think of going to a physical shop anymore... The way I buy monitors is find a smaller comp shop where I can actually connect the monitor to a computer and check its picture before I buy it.

Damn it sucks to be an American, we are so lazy we can't even go to a store that does not exist. Makes you wonder why people are dying to live here and are arriving in droves requesting asylum. Ungrateful Jealous "Europeeeons" make me want to puke. Next time we will let the Germans take over, then nuke the whole continent. Ungrateful pricks.

Originally posted by Ramfart
Damn it sucks to be an American, we are so lazy we can't even go to a store that does not exist. Makes you wonder why people are dying to live here and are arriving in droves requesting asylum. Ungrateful Jealous "Europeeeons" make me want to puke. Next time we will let the Germans take over, then nuke the whole continent. Ungrateful pricks.

Jeez. Ramfart.

That was out of your character :)

I've been considering ordering the 2001fp from dell with this 25% off deal. Can you return it if it has less than 8 dead pixels? Seems like most places say you can't do anything if it has less than 8 dead pixels...

You can return it if it smells funny.

Look for posts by encyee. . .

Lighten up, Francis.

Laja's point is that if you have a choice between buying a screen that seems to have a good deal of quality problems (the 2001FP) and is a crapshoot of quality or trying one out in person at a store before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, then option B seems to be the better choice. $800 or so is one hell of a lot to pay for a screen that gets replaced 4 times immediately after opening the box. If this were the auto industry, there'd be hell to pay.

I wonder what they do with all the 99.9999999% perfect monitors they get back on RMA. I want to go dumpster surfing at dell sometime.

Jeez. Ramfart.
That was out of your character

Your right, sorry all.

I am just getting sick of all the negative posts around here and that was the final straw that struck a nerve. I was born in another country, came here when I was 12 and really appreciate how great America is and would gladly die for this country. So when someone wants to try and piss on Americans I have that perpective to pull on. Americans are for the most part a great mix of people that just want everyone to live in freedom. Yeah America has its share of problems, but I would rather live here than anywhere else on this planet. I have visited 17 other countries so I have a little idea on how things are.

I miss the days of the Soapbox :)

Some great entertainment. Would have been perfect for this thread.

I just don't get it.

Out of 48 2001 FP's we got at work, we've installed 41 of them. One had a couple of dead pixels, none have any backlighting problems that anyone has complained about.

Granted, I haven't gone over each monitor, but we have some picky ass people that work here. I'd be surprised if they didn't mention dead pixels.

........ 5th replacement received today........
:(

I just do not understand this at all. 2 dead pixels, which is no problem.. but the backlight......... why.........

Top right corner., all the monitors I've replaced had the serious backlight leakage on the top right corner area. Only if I still had my digital camera, I would post a picture up.

During normal desktop use, it's hardly noticeable. but when watching a movie or playing certain games (e.g. COD night level), it's really distracting. It's hard to see clearly with the bright spot on the corner... :mad:

The messed up thing is that my roomies 2001fp (first try), is perfect. only 1 dead pixel and perfectly even backlight.

I feel so unlucky now.

Well, I'm going to receive my 6th one tomorrow. For some reason Dell sent me another one. I really wish the 6th will be the one....

*sigh*

seriously sounds like u guys who are getting replacements are getting ones that were sent back and reinspected.

my #1 had no probs whatsoever(or i have bad eyesight)

but i would seriously be worried about trying to get a good one on a repalcement.

i got mine yesterday, Dec 2003 model. No problems whatsoever, no dead pixels and no backlight leakage. I'm very happy. I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems...is there a Dell store near you? Maybe it's best you drive there and find one that is up to par for you.

Back