Rebuilding our Companies IT Infrastructure: Need Advice/Ideas/Info

GNNR |AVault|

[H]ard|Gawd
Heyas. I am currently the IT/IS Manager for one of the two offices of my company as some of you know. One office is in NYC (mine), the other is in London. Perhaps 30 employees total. We host our website with a third party host and MX record forward email.

In NYC we are currently running on a scaled T1 link to the outside through a SOHO firewall appliance with Server 2000 on AD inside; workstations are WinXP Pro (13) and we have three servers - all are win2k, one is a baby SQL server which also operates our day to day backups (on HD), one is a file server which also runs our FileMaker 6.0 database system, and the third is Exchange 2000 (upgraded from 5.5) and it's the PDC essentially. The exchange server provides exchangeweb services and the SQL server provides minimal FTP ability under password to our London office. Several of our users connect from home via PCAnywhere and I also have RealVNC setup on all the boxes for some other functionality and remote support from home.

London operates on on older setup of NT4 servers and Win2K workstations and they have a pair of 5mb down and 256K up DSL connections through a firewall appliance. They have an exchange server (5.5), file server, and filemaker server. They currently use exchangeweb services for home/remote users as well as PCAnywhere and RealVNC for things as I do.

We are currently engaging an outside firm to unify our two Filemaker databases (originally developed outside by a third party but now supported and developed in-house by my IT/IS counterpart in London) as well as tack on some features for our corporate website.

Email is handled in a off configuration: All email comes via MX record to the NYC exchange server and I then forward on email from it to the London exchange server which is on a different domain name currently.

Before you point out the flaws and problems and cost issues just don't... I know what they are basically but this is a small, not-for-profit company with limited budgets and resources. I have been successful in keeping my end running with an almost perfect uptime record for over 3 years now - 1 small outage of 4 hours with the network due to a HD failure on the Exchange server in NYC where the file server didn't roll to DC status properly due to a miss-configuration when the network was revamped 3 years ago, now corrected. No viruses, no intrusions (though not for a lack of trying through either the primary pipe as well as our wireless node), no major failures of any kind. Users are logged in with a scripted arrangement that sets up their home and other drives as needed (differs by user and position).

And we are essentially stuck with Exchange given our user base. I might switch some workstation software to free alternatives, but Exchange services such as calendaring and what have you are a must and we lack the time and money to train over to something else (of which there really aren't many alternatives).

Backups are currently a mess but functional. Dailies and multi-dailies are done to HD sequentially (lots of extra storage), weekly and monthly to tape, quarterly and yearly to CD.

I do want to push us into a better setup however. The goal is to cut out redundancies and weaknesses, unify our systems to what ever degree is possible, create a single AD tree and WAN, and share files and services as much as possible. Beyond the computing infrastructure we will be adding VOIP and some other services, but this post is about our network.

My counterpart in London wants to create a very loosely tied together AD tree and WAN with redundant servers (exchange in both locations, Filemaker in both with terminal syncing and what not), etc. As I understand it, he wants to use Cytrix or other terminal software to do connections for the workstations to the databases, have multiple/redundant exchange and Filemaker servers syncing across the WAN and tree. To me this feels and appears very costly as it doesn't eliminate redundant servers and their associated licenses and it introduces additional software such as Cytrix or other terminal software.

I have examined such things as collocating the core servers offsite, renting dedicated servers, offsite exchange services, etc. They don't seem cost effective and it takes support out of our hands and introduces the potential for downtime and delays in restoring service in the case of software or hardware problems.

My idea is to utilize available (or upgraded, as is the case in London given their small outbound link capacity of 512kb total) bandwidth and VPN to create a single AD tree across a WAN structure. I want all the servers in one location (NYC). London would have a beefy file server that has enough power and capacity to also run their local accounting software server setup as well as a synced copy of Filemaker and run local DC functions for log in and authentication should the link between offices go down or some other technical problem creep in that brings down the WAN.

In NYC we would have a suitable managed firewall and router appliance, upgraded links for the servers on a separate router/switch (1GB) via 2nd NICs, very beefy servers (looking to go back to rack mounted with redundant PSUs, high end RAID, tape drives for long term archiving/backups, Win2K or Server 2003). Or file server will move to a NAT device with suitable storage to also handle daily and more than daily backup duties across the separate backplane.

A VPN connection (or as many as is necessary) will connect the London office directly to our servers for DC authentication and place them in our Tree, given them access to Filemaker as well as Exchange. Both offices will retain local file servers however as there is no real need for sharing them due to differences in how each office deals with their day to day work and taskings - I might put up a common drive however to eliminate any need for FTP and to handle the occasional cross file sharing need between offices.

The Filemaker setup will allow the IT/IS guy in London to connect directly for dev duties (or he can dev on the local server I guess, either way is fine... this is one of the murky areas for me really) and sync back to the other office so that there is roll over capability.

The use of VPN also would allow me to eliminate remote access software (PCAnywhere) for home users and put them on a directly WAN connect for minimal lag and access issues (home users are all on Cable internet or DSL, but even still they complain of the lag in typing documents in email via PCAnywhere... this puts everything local to their PC but connects them directly to our network as just another client within the AD structure, speeding everything up for them- they can still use exchangeweb for on the road access to email however).

Am I off my rocker in proposing we do what I want to do here?

Having had an outside support consultant in recently for a very off the wall exchange problem I couldn't figure out I bounced this off of him and he seemed to think it the best route to take given what our current situation is and where we want to go. Our goal is to cut down costs and support time, unify our systems as much as possible to facilitate sharing of information in a timely fashion, increase communication and the timeliness of this communication, reduce licensing costs, etc.

The only major hole I see is no 'roll over' capability for exchange email services, but as a small company we really can't afford nor should be running two servers with all the licences we should have to do it legally... it's damned expensive and in 3 years I have kept our exchange server going and well maintained with less than 5 hours of total down time, no crashes or major issues, full security with no compromises. I only do the filemaker server in 'sync' as a concession to my counterpart in London (the server hardware needed is barely above that of a PC given our limited user base and we already have the licences and software). Having a file server for each office seems redundant but we don't share much of anything in terms of files and documents and if there is some kind of outage in either office for technical reasons the other office will at least have a local network and their files to fall back on.

Here is a link to a primitive network chart I whiped up with paint in a couple of minutes. Not sure if it helps to clarify anything or not so 'for what it's worth'.

I like it.

Seriously, I do these things all the time and I don't see any issues with your plan. WAN link goes down, your users can still function. The only other option that I see would be a redundant internet connection in London with automatic failover. This way the WAN should stay up all the time (because you should have a SLA with your T1). They could also use Outlook over the VPN to keep you from forwarding mail and allow them access to Exchange. Outlook over a VPN isn't too bad. And if you must continue with PCAnywhere type software, I've found RD to be MUCH faster. YMMV.

Craig

there's a lot of information in there, but here are a few bits of feedback.

it seems like this is 2 networks glued together. you are right to want to unify them since there is no business case not to. this is not a partnership between 2 different companies. going to a single domain would be the first idea to stick with. obviously you then want to make sure you have a DC at each site, but since you would then have 2 total and a goal is to cut costs i'm not sure i'd bother with 2 at each site. if the DC at one site goes down you can still get them functioning again if they can connect to the other site.

i am going to have to argue against the use of a single exchange setup. you don't want people traversing a slow link to get their mailboxes. how big are your mailboxes? the guy with the 200MB mailbox is going to ream you every single hour of every day because when he logs in in the morning outlook freezes for 30 minutes. also, what happens when the link between sites goes down? do you want 1 site to be without email? probably not.

you can accept email to a main server in NYC and still keep london user mailboxes on a server in london.

i have to think some of the same logic applies to the file server. as for sql and filemaker pro and the rest- you need to make a decision about how much traffic those are generating and is it more than your pipe between offices can handle. you are really going to have to monitor network usage very closely to make this decision.

also, what kind of connection do you have? do you have an SLA and trust the ISP? can you reasonably expect to get line problems fixed within a couple of hours? this will factor into your decision regarding what can be on one site and what should be replicated across both.

stay away from citrix. i have used it for a year and didn't like it from day 1. i recently replaced it with terminal server and am much happier. if you are going to a thin client setup then maybe it is the way to go, but otherwise look for other ideas. it costs a damn fortune to deploy and yearly maintenance fees are steep.

ccarrigan said:
Outlook over a VPN isn't too bad.
i wish i had your users. mine don't like waiting 5 seconds to log on. seriously, my boss was hibernating his laptop every night simply for the fact that it took 3/10ths of a second quicker to get back to his desktop than if he shutdown completely.

big daddy fatsacks said:
i wish i had your users. mine don't like waiting 5 seconds to log on. seriously, my boss was hibernating his laptop every night simply for the fact that it took 3/10ths of a second quicker to get back to his desktop than if he shutdown completely.

Well, a case can be made for anything. If the BOSS wants it faster, and you outline the costs, and he accepts, that's fine. But if the users are unhappy with the 5 second lag, nobody really cares (at least in management ;) ) I use Outlook over a VPN and have no issues. And I've never seen Outlook over a VPN take a lot of time depending on mailbox size. Since it's database driven, it's typically only when you open something large that can cause an issue. This happens to me when someone sends an attachment.

it seems like this is 2 networks glued together. you are right to want to unify them since there is no business case not to. this is not a partnership between 2 different companies. going to a single domain would be the first idea to stick with. obviously you then want to make sure you have a DC at each site, but since you would then have 2 total and a goal is to cut costs i'm not sure i'd bother with 2 at each site. if the DC at one site goes down you can still get them functioning again if they can connect to the other site.

The current setup is definately very glued together and while functional I am never at ease about it and hate all the redundant costs. I am hoping this structure will stream line some things (account management and creation, server redundancies, single point for a shared database which of course has huge benifits - we are essentially morphing it into a CRM solution with an events management system tacked on with links out to our website). I definately want a DC at each site in case of down time, that's one key point of the crapola network chart I linked up.

i am going to have to argue against the use of a single exchange setup. you don't want people traversing a slow link to get their mailboxes. how big are your mailboxes? the guy with the 200MB mailbox is going to ream you every single hour of every day because when he logs in in the morning outlook freezes for 30 minutes. also, what happens when the link between sites goes down? do you want 1 site to be without email? probably not.

you can accept email to a main server in NYC and still keep london user mailboxes on a server in london.

I hear you... and honestly I am not 100% decided yet. My counterpart wants to have a mirrored server going in london for that. I had thought about moving the user files off the server entirely and into the profile home drives so that everything in that regard is localized; that I would think would cut down any 'lag' in that regard... some of my users in NYC have been here well over 5 years so they have quite extensive stores and archives already, something I am always on them to cull and clean out to reduce size since it's really pushing our tired server these days.

The big sticker, as you point out, is what about an outage. And I agree... what then. This is why I am not 100% sold on the idea of a single server for email as of yet. But man would it save us some headaches and money if we were with one server. An alternative is to go with a colocated or hosted server service, but their costs are not insignificant either.

i have to think some of the same logic applies to the file server. as for sql and filemaker pro and the rest- you need to make a decision about how much traffic those are generating and is it more than your pipe between offices can handle. you are really going to have to monitor network usage very closely to make this decision.

Traffic isn't bad for filemaker - just raw data really and Filemaker is nice and fast. Exchange will cause the most and I have an idea on it (localize the profiles to home drives and keep the user file on the network locally to the city VS on the exchange server). As for the file servers, we have little to know 'cross connection' needs on that end... everything is localized and specialized to the market and team needs in each office and proceedures are different. The little bit of cross over can be handled by a generic drive share on one side shared by both offices for that specific purpose (which would eliminate any FTP needs we currently have, which is rare and minimal).

also, what kind of connection do you have? do you have an SLA and trust the ISP? can you reasonably expect to get line problems fixed within a couple of hours? this will factor into your decision regarding what can be on one site and what should be replicated across both.

The provider currently has a T3 into our building and we are the only big user at 1.5mb up/down. I plan on bumping it up probably... in our 2.5 years with them we have had less than 35 minutes of 'down' time with them; they have lots of redundancy in their network. Better still, they are a member company and have just started out in London so hopefully we can barter out a good deal for London (bandwidth is much more expensive there). I did think about getting in a DSL or cable connect as a fall back but so far I have not done so because they have been so rock solid. Better still, they have left the pipe rather 'unshaped'... we are able to pull a lot more bandwidth than what we are contracted at and they don't mind.

My users are more pained by typing and mouse lag in PCAnywhere than anything else, hence why VPN connects for them too seems optimal... Thankfully the home users all have relatively small exchange stores... would hate to think what would happen for the one person who has a 900MB store right now.

Yeah yeah, why let it get that big... hehe, it was bigger when I got here and I calved off a lot of stuff to archive and am constantly on her to pair it down by deleting old email and saving attachments to the file drives/server. She was at one point over 1.5GB and with a 250MB archive, now she has a 500MB archive and right at 900mb store. Unfortunately she deals with a lot of proof artwork and printer materials and the files can be extensive back and forth. She's set to clean out her 'delete' bin which will clean out like 400mb or so now that she's cleaning and saving files and deleting things... can't wait, my server will probably breath a sigh of relief I can actually hear when she does that this week. Most eveyrone else is well below 200mb, some under 50mb.

stay away from citrix. i have used it for a year and didn't like it from day 1. i recently replaced it with terminal server and am much happier. if you are going to a thin client setup then maybe it is the way to go, but otherwise look for other ideas. it costs a damn fortune to deploy and yearly maintenance fees are steep.

I am hoping we can avoid any kind of complication and cost by not doing anything terminal emulation related with this setup. It will be bandwidth dependent, but as I posted earlier filemaker as it's setup and developed for us doesn't push a lot of network traffic... no files attached to records and with both seperate ones combined in a test setup there isn't quite 150mb of data.

Random thoughts:

2003 AD and Exchange should be on your roadmap. The OWA is much better, and also Outlook over HTTP is quicker than Outlook over VPN.

A single domain is a good idea.

Two domain controllers in each site is a very good idea. In any case all your domain controllers should be global catalog servers as well. AD integrated DNS is also assumed.

Terminal Services are excellent. Citrix may have more bells and whistles, but pure MS Terminal Services usually meets the 80/20 rule. You should consider your requirements carefully before spending extra money on Citrix to determine if you really need the added features that it provides.

VMware is an excellent investment. You have a number of mulitple-purposed servers, and I would look for an effective way to get away from that practice altogether. VMware can allow you to compartmentalize services on the same physical hardware. The added roll-back features alone are money well spent since in a small environment you will likely not have a lab environment setup to test every possible upgrade or migration scenario that comes your way. Your existing hardware may be perfectly suitable with a memory increase alone.

Consider leasing server hardware. With the small number of servers involved, you may be able to manage the leasing lifecycle. Let's face it, leasing companies only start to make money on the 37th month of a 36 month lease. They're betting on the fact that you won't have the foresight to retire your production servers in a timely manner.

2003 AD and Exchange should be on your roadmap. The OWA is much better, and also Outlook over HTTP is quicker than Outlook over VPN.

A single domain is a good idea.

Two domain controllers in each site is a very good idea. In any case all your domain controllers should be global catalog servers as well. AD integrated DNS is also assumed.

Terminal Services are excellent. Citrix may have more bells and whistles, but pur MS Terminal Services usually meets the 80/20 rule. You should consider your requirements carefully before spending extra money on Citrix to determine if you really need the added features that it provides.

VMware is an excellent investment. You have a number of mulitple-purposed servers, and I would look for an effective way to get away from that practice altogether. VMware can allow you to compartmentalize services on the same physical hardware. The added roll-back features alone are money well spend since in a small environment you will likely not have a lab environment setup to test every possible upgrade or migration scenario that comes your way. Your existing hardware may be perfectly suitable with a memory increase alone.

Consider leasing server hardware. With the small number of servers involved, you may be able to manage the leasing lifecycle. Let's face it, leasing companies only start to make money on the 37th month of a 36 month lease. They're betting on the fact that you won't have the foresight to retire your production servers in a timely manner.

So two DCs per office... yeah, makes sense now that I look at it in new light.

We already have DNS as stated.

I really want to avoid any kind of terminal services, at least from a user and employee perspective. If it's needed for back end operations then fine. Bear in mind, I am not a single hat person... I am a IT pocket knife and always have been so my knowledge in anyone area is usually enough but not expert. Perhaps, me being rather noobish, can someone explain to me why I would need it at all in this setup - I assume any syncing outside of AD for something like FileMaker may need it but I don't fully understand how it will play in this setup.

We already lease eveyrthing here... the cost savings long term as well as maintaining a reasonable upgrade cycle is great. Hell the depreciation in our yearly taxes is enough to make it worth considering. We do a dollar buy out at the end then fire sale off what we don't want to keep. With this rebuild i will be replacing half or perhaps all of our existing workstations, keeping a few of the best in 'reserve' for unexpected needs and reusing at least some of our software licences to boot.

VMware sounds interesting. I may give it a hard look. I do know that two of my three servers are getting majore league replacements this time around... our exchange server is really pushed to it's limits just with half the companie's users and no other tasking sans DC duties. I even had to push off DNS duties to another server just to give it enough headroom for when traffic inbound or outbound spikes.

The best use case I could think of for terminal services would be if a user in the UK wanted to use your Filemaker database in the US. You may get a significant performance increase if the user in the UK were to use RDP to connect to a terminal server in the US and run the filemaker client application on that terminal server. All the Filemaker traffic in that scenario would happen at LAN speeds in your US office. The only traffic going across the WAN would be screens and events. Performance boost for databases and other thick applications are one of the prime reasons for terminal services in your case.

In other cases, some folks use terminal servers to run the entire desktop for every user. This helps reduce the cost of replacing client PC's since you can run the RDP client on a really old PC (PII x 266MHz for example) and still get decent performance. Other folks use terminal services for greater centralized control over the user experience. I don't think either of these cases applies to your scenario, but the remote access to databases and applications might.

I by no means intend to push terminal services other than to say in my specific experience I have not been able to justify the cost of Citrix on top of terminal services for the specific use-cases that I have implemented terminal services for.

I am familiar with it as a client 'replacement'... a company I was working with was going that route when I left in fact. This reply of yours, however, is the best I have gotten on the subject and really clears things up.

The best use case I could think of for terminal services would be if a user in the UK wanted to use your Filemaker database in the US. You may get a significant performance increase if the user in the UK were to use RDP to connect to a terminal server in the US and run the filemaker client application on that terminal server. All the Filemaker traffic in that scenario would happen at LAN speeds in your US office. The only traffic going across the WAN would be screens and events. Performance boost for databases and other thick applications are one of the prime reasons for terminal services in your case.

Greatly appreciated. I do wonder if our users will be able to 'pick it up' as it were... surely a training and useage issue, but we have a rather limited user base when it comes to technology and understanding.

GNNR |AVault| said:
I am familiar with it as a client 'replacement'... a company I was working with was going that route when I left in fact. This reply of yours, however, is the best I have gotten on the subject and really clears things up.

Greatly appreciated. I do wonder if our users will be able to 'pick it up' as it were... surely a training and useage issue, but we have a rather limited user base when it comes to technology and understanding.

And thus the niceties of Citrix. You can deploy a single application. The user doesn't even have to log in. They just run what looks like a Filemaker icon, but it is instead a Citrix remote application that logs in with existing credentials. Pretty swift from the installs I've done. But I know you don't want to go to that expense. Just throwing that out there.

Back