RealVNC over Internet

Stinger836

Gawd
I can run VNC over my network no prob. But when I had a friend install it on his computer at home I wasn't able to access theserver at all not even to access a password. Can RealVNC only be run over a network or did he set it up wrong/it can be used over the internet?

RealVNC should work across the internet, but there might be a multitude of factors of why you cannot connect to his machine.

Here are a few.

a) Your/His ISP blocks common VNC ports
b) His fw/router blocks incoming vnc ports

Might i also state that running RealVNC wide open like that is quite a dangerous

I know it's dangerous but I was just trying check something. Thanks
(I think its his router) What's linksys's default password for their routers? (His is a BEFSR41)

default password is 'admin' with no username

also, you should consider running an ssh server if that's a possibility

you should try to run vnc using a ssh tunnel over the internet cause vnc is not encrypted over the internet.

this sounds fishy, why cant you call yiur friend and ask him for the password? if im wrong im sorry, but this scenerio just doesnt sound right. does your 'friend' know you are trying to VNC?

Originally posted by Projkt4
this sounds fishy, why cant you call yiur friend and ask him for the password? if im wrong im sorry, but this scenerio just doesnt sound right. does your 'friend' know you are trying to VNC?

Oh uh, installing vnc on his friend's computer?

Yes I am teh l337 haxor. Wtf no. I wasn't sure if he put it in right. When I connected to his IP with the viewed (he gave me his ip from dyndns alias's ip checker) and I entered that into the viewed and it never asked for the password at all. It just stopped and said couldn't connect to the server.

He installed it cause I asked him to. He's right next to me and he doesn't care it was so I could show him how to configure this app.

I couldn't configure an SSH tunnel most likely tbh. And for 2 minutes I doubt it be worth it I just wanted to show him how configure some actions in PS.

Prjkt for future reference don't ever say anything I'm doing is fishy cause it isn't.

sorry man, i guess i just dont trust people. have you tried pinging him, specifically whatever port VNC runs on? test to see if it not only is the correct ip but that the port (default is 5900) is open.

I haven't he's at my house now, but when he goes back home I will try that. If by default the port is blocked on his router than that's probably causing it because he didn't know the pass to it to configure it. So we'll try that.

Sorry for being a little short ^ there.

no problem, i understand how frustrating it is to get this set up properly. you may be able to acess his router from the wan, but if all the defaults are in place it my be set to resrict acess from an wan user.

Also is there any way to get sound from the computer that you are VNC'd to? And is there a way to copy and paste from the computer with the viewer installed to the computer with the server installed? Thanks

no for that you would need another app

but, you could send yourself whatever you need to through email or any p2p, but thats a lot of work, esp. over a VNCconnection.

Originally posted by Stinger836
Also is there any way to get sound from the computer that you are VNC'd to? And is there a way to copy and paste from the computer with the viewer installed to the computer with the server installed? Thanks

Windows XP Pro has a built in remote desktop that does both of these fine, and it's about a million times faster than vnc:) If you have XP on the server machine, I suggest you give it a try. The client comes with XP by default, and you can downloaded the client any Windows OS above 98 from microsoft's website. It uses an encrypted connection from the start, so no worrys about passwords being sniffed. You will also have to forward a port on the router for this to work. Remote Desktop uses port 3389.

I believe Windows 2k also has some sort of built in vnc (terminal services?), but I'm not sure how it works, or which version of win2k it comes with.

Back