Really bad font rendering in Metro!

How did you fix it ?

My text in Metro is GARBAGE !!! Very blurry, looked online, but could not find a fix.
Using nvidia 304.79 drivers for single 670.

Ahh well mine was due to the Morphological Smoothing being enabled by accident in the Catalyst control centre.

However, I have since noticed that font rendering (double pixel shifting on vertical font lines) in Desktop Firefox (14.01) is pretty dreadful too. Hopefully the full version of 8 and the Windows 8 capable version of Firefox will sort it.

Seems Cleartype is having a hard time in Desktop mode some of the time.

Fuzzy%2520Text.jpg

Link to larger image

Last edited:
Yeah as that screen is (I think ) setup for full graphical rendering and can take into account all the GPU features you might want to check any AA or edge smooth settings.

I was surprised when I found that GPU settings affected it. This is what I was getting -

ewwwww.jpg

ewww2.jpg

If this is the case then its going to be a pain if Metro cant be set aside from game settings.

Will we have to setup a profile for it?

The same problem occurs in Windows 7 at the Desktop. (Or at least it did.) I would set a profile for each one of your games because the problem is not metro, but Morphological AA itself as you found.

The same problem occurs in Windows 7 at the Desktop. (Or at least it did.) I would set a profile for each one of your games because the problem is not metro, but Morphological AA itself as you found.

But surely MS should have mitigated this possibility already? Such a thing as system/user testing? Restricted the GPU effects possible to the Metro side, made plans with AMD/Nvidia/Intel?

If you want Metro to be the big hurrahhh of the new OS then you make sure it gets presented in the best possible way. Not potential blurr-o-vision. Support calls ahoy. Yes my issue was the Morpho, not sure about the other guy.

As for seeing that kind of effect in 7. Nope never, not once.

The only time I saw this happen in Win7 was not actually Win7, but Live Messenger, and was fixed by turning off FXAA as a separate profile for that program.

If this is the same issue, then M$ needs to address this quickly and before release day.

Edit: If I turn off the FXAA in global settings, I can't turn it on for BF3.

Last edited:
E^vol, you posted a JPG (with compression artifacts) that appears to be resized as well. Could you post an unresized PNG?

Yeah doesn't make any difference whether jpeg or not it really does look that bad.

It's a real odd one.

I had this issue initially but it went away after I installed the newest NVIDIA drivers.

It appears that WDDM 1.2 drivers are needed in order to get around the crapified Clear Type rendering issue.

Soooo.....I "downgraded" the drivers to 302.82 which are Win8 specific and also have the WDDM1.2 as you mentioned. Guess what....Things are looking much clearer now. :D
I find it odd that the latest drivers are not designed for win8 or are just not compatible with it for whatever reason. :confused:

Yeah seems it all still needs a little tweaking.

Early days.....kinda. :(

I'm just really surprised that there aren't more Win8 specific versions of software out there yet....Win8 is after all, quite different and has different requirements and rules (CPU-Z can't use the "APIC timer" for clocks computation anymore because M$ declared that the timer is "not a shareable resource" and is using it for itself.).

I'm just really surprised that there aren't more Win8 specific versions of software out there yet....Win8 is after all, quite different and has different requirements and rules (CPU-Z can't use the "APIC timer" for clocks computation anymore because M$ declared that the timer is "not a shareable resource" and is using it for itself.).

Actually, it doesn't seem like Windows 8 is the issue here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wdk/thread/5d075378-a45f-433b-a3f7-73f974ec962f

If I've read this correctly this was never a proper way to do this. That said I have CPU Z running on most of my Windows 8 devices and so fat having detected a problem with it. But this issues is definitely beyond my expertise.

As for you Metro font rendering problem I'm running the 304.79 drivers on a 580 and have no issues with font rendering, though I do see some bugs here and there specially around running Metro apps with dual monitors. What I've noticed is that moving some Metro apps from the primary display to the secondary display causes the app to "duplicate" itself on both display. There's literally a duplication of the app on both displays and I have to snap the app to get it right. However this never seems to happen when moving the app from a secondary to primary display.

Now I'm running the 306.02's that just came out. They are for Win8 and I just installed them. I did so after turning on the comp only to see the fuzzy text back again...
Gonna restart a few times to see if it comes back again.

Last edited:
Just installed these drivers on my desktop and so far so good though they don't fix the situation where when moving some Metro apps from the primary to the secondary monitor the app duplicates itself and gets weird until the app is snapped. What so odd about this is that this never happens when moving the app from the secondary to the primary screen and then even back. Still some kinks to work out but stability has been great thus far.

Back