Ready to buy a 120hz/144hz gaming lcd, need advice

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been looking online for a replacement for my Sony FW900 100lb monster CRT.
I like what im seeing from Asus. They currently have the 27in VG278HE that runs at 144hz,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236293

They are also coming out with the new 24 inch version with the new 1ms GTG spec.
http://www.techpowerup.com/176185/A...onitor-with-144-Hz-Refresh-Rate-Detailed.html

Whivh one of these should I get you think? is 27in @1080p too low res? Is going from a 24 to a 27 too big for competetive fps games? (Quake, UT ect..)

What do you think? Any other brands or models I should look into?

I wouldn't sink my teeth into any 144hz models until they are well vetted by reviewers and a strong general census has been reached. Far too often it doesn't really pay to jump into anything with better "numbers" in this display world without a solid and logic review in hand from an unbiased source.

1080p is too low res for 27'' plus 27 inchers bear more 3d ghosting so that you know. Had one myself and sold it after a while.
Wait for the new Asus 24'' VG248QE in my opinion or go for the already available BENQ XL2411T (although i thing Asus is a better choice)

I have a Samsung S27A950D. While at first I did notice the low dot pitch as it's a 27 inch 1080p monitor, after about 2 hours I no longer see it. But I don't understand the above statement why a 27 inch would produce more ghosting than any other size?

The reason I went to a 1080p 27 inch is because I wanted to make sure I could power all 120 frames. Once you up the resolution you need some serious horsepower to keep it going. I'm not ready for tri-anything yet so this was how I made my decision.

Personally, the difference between 144hz and 120hz would be so minimal you really wouldn't notice it all too much. Going from 60-120 is huge, but 120-144 not so much. I did look a the 144hz Asus that you're looking at. It was between that, and this Samsung. I ended up going with the Samsung because of the better color reproduction and glossy screen. Quite a few reviews I read states that this panel is one of the best) TN panels out there as far as color quality.

So if you're looking for 27 inch 1080p 120hz, I'd recommend the Samsung S27A950D. Just remember, it's glossy, so if that's a nono for you then go with the Asus.

1080p is too low res for 27'' plus 27 inchers bear more 3d ghosting so that you know. Had one myself and sold it after a while.
Wait for the new Asus 24'' VG248QE in my opinion or go for the already available BENQ XL2411T (although i thing Asus is a better choice)

The resolution argument subjective. A lot of people have no problem with it at all. Sit 2.5 ft away and you probably won't even notice. I had my 27" Asus next to my 30" Dell and had no problem with 1080P at 27".

With regards to ghosting, the VG278HE has no ghosting. It does have wierd blacks though. What does it being 27" have to do with ghosting? lol

If I were going to get a 27" 1080P display, I would pick up an IPS model. The Asus 27" 144hz panel was nice, but WAY overpriced, IMO.

I don't really advocate ASUS panels because as stated previously, they tend to suffer from heavier backlight bleed/poor black levels/bad color banding/etc than the other brands. I'm not sure who supplies them but if you're sticking with TN monitors, I'd pick either BenQ or Samsung (I don't think LG has any 120hz monitors but they'd be a prime choice too). My S27A750D has been great.

However, if I could do it all again, I'd rather just have taken one of those overclockable Achievas/Crossovers/Yamakasis.

Last edited:
For 2d 144 vs 120hz isn't a big difference, but for 3d 72hz vs 60hz can be a world of difference as it can go right over the sweet spot where things dont flicker/look choppy.

Back