RDRAM question

On the Lam

Limp Gawd
Can a stick or RDRAM be paired with a CRIMM? I'm asking because I have a pair of RIMMS where I suspect one is bad (errors galore) and want to know if I can use the one good one with a CRIMM...Thanks!

Assuming you're referring to 16 bit RIMM's, yes. You'll be limiting your performance, but since you're just checking the integrity, it should be fine for this purpose.

Checking integrity, yes, but can I actually operate this way? Meaning, 3 RIMMS and 1 CRIMM?

I see what you mean; if I run the above way, I won't be running in dual channel anymore, right?

Nope, doesn't work (3 RIMMS, 1 CRIMM) But I did test each suspect stick with a known good stick, and found my bad stick, and marked it with a Sharpie "X BAD"

Unabomber said:
Assuming you're referring to 16 bit RIMM's, yes. You'll be limiting your performance, but since you're just checking the integrity, it should be fine for this purpose.

Wrong. 16bit RIMMs have to be installed in a pair to work. If installed any other way (or with a defective module), the system will not even boot.

32bit RIMMs can be installed as a single module, with the 2nd memory bank terminated with a C-RIMM.

ajm786 said:
Wrong. 16bit RIMMs have to be installed in a pair to work. If installed any other way (or with a defective module), the system will not even boot.

Thanks. Please disregard my previous statement, as I'm looking at my old manual for an i820-based board, a laughable creation at best.

Unabomber said:
Thanks. Please disregard my previous statement, as I'm looking at my old manual for an i820-based board, a laughable creation at best.

Ah. If you were referring to the i820 chipset, then what you were saying is correct, but only because that chipset had only 1 bank of RDRAM instead of the popular 2 for the i850. I automatically assumed the original poster was referring to an i850 based system. So for the most part, you still have to install RDRAM in pairs to work.

Alright, next question. Can you pair up an unmatched pair? Meaning, can you combine a 64mb stick with a 128mb stick on a single channel?

Back