RDP / Wireless Issues

SAgosto

Limp Gawd
I have spent hours diagnosing my RDP/wireless issues and I have run out of ideas. I have no issues RDP'ing into my hardwired machines which leads me to believe this issue is my machine in the office. I also have this issue RDP'ing from work forcing me to use TeamViewer which is a bit more 'stable'.

Netgear AC1450 on 1st floor (near fridge/oven)
Netgear AC1200 (R6200) on 2nd floor (wide open facing 20' foyer)
connected via TP-LINK TL-PA6010KIT AV600 Powerline Adapter; I have a 2.4GHZ and a 5GHZ network and they have the same SSID but different bands
Consistent www.speedtest.net results of 40-65MBs

PC is in office on the 2nd floor about 20-30' from the AC1450; RDP constantly cuts out using both a Rosewill 802.11b/g/n, N150 150MB (typically connects at 150MBS) and a Linksys AE2500 802.11a/b/g/n 300MBS WiFi Dual-Band Adapter.

I currently see 200-400KBs coping files from shared drive on that machine to my local laptop with a 240-270MBs network connection.

Any ideas?

I'm curious myself. Try teamviewer to see what happens just for the hell of it?

Sounds a lot like you're connecting to the 2.4Ghz network and that it's seriously overloaded, hence the lousy speeds and problems. (the "connection speed" is meaningless, that's just what it could get if the spectrum was empty, which it almost certainly isn't)

I'd suggest changing the SSID on the 5Ghz band and forcing the device to connect to that.

I'm curious myself. Try teamviewer to see what happens just for the hell of it?

Teamviewer works a bit better but still laggy.

I still have dropped connections with the PC in my office. I have moved the AC1450 from top of the fridge to behind the TV on the other side of the wall. It is now less than 25' from the office but I still have RDP lag and dropped connections! I have tried the 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ on both the 1st floor AC1450 and the R6200 on the 2nd floor which is facing a 20' open foyer. I get CONSISTENT 50-75MB d/l speeds from www.speedtest.net. I have both networks using the same SSID but with different channels spaced apart.

Sounds a lot like you're connecting to the 2.4Ghz network and that it's seriously overloaded, hence the lousy speeds and problems. (the "connection speed" is meaningless, that's just what it could get if the spectrum was empty, which it almost certainly isn't)

I'd suggest changing the SSID on the 5Ghz band and forcing the device to connect to that.

No. Maybe 1 or 2 device like a PS2 is on the 2.4GHZ band.

Last edited:
I am finally making progress on this. The 2.4GHZ band on the router seems to be faulty. When I am standing right near the router, the performance appears to be normal. However, when I test from my 2nd floor where I get 50-60MB d/l via speedtests on the 5GHZ band, the 2.4GHZ band reports less than 1MBS and drops constantly. Given the 2.4GHZ travels better than 5GHZ, this is surprising. I have tried numerous different channels but it doesn't make a difference. Any ideas?

I am finally making progress on this. The 2.4GHZ band on the router seems to be faulty. When I am standing right near the router, the performance appears to be normal. However, when I test from my 2nd floor where I get 50-60MB d/l via speedtests on the 5GHZ band, the 2.4GHZ band reports less than 1MBS and drops constantly. Given the 2.4GHZ travels better than 5GHZ, this is surprising. I have tried numerous different channels but it doesn't make a difference. Any ideas?

Firmware update? Do you have anything that could be interfering with the 2.4?

Firmware update? Do you have anything that could be interfering with the 2.4?

Firmware is up to date. I can't imagine anything causing bandwidth to decrease to 1MB or less from 50-60MB. I only have a few devices on the 2.4GHZ band such as my iTouch, wireless printer, and a netbook.

I aleady used inSSIDer and there's little interference from my neighbors. If there is, it doesn't explain why the 95-98% reduction of bandwidth.

microwave nearby?
If so heat some water in the microwave or your lunch and test it with it on and off.

I've seen employee's cheap wireless headphones, microwaves, wireless security cameras, rf remotes, wireless security system sensors, wireless video broadcasters, etc destroy wifi in an office Enviroment. It could be your neighbors with those devices too.

Lots of cheap Chinese wireless devices that people buy online don't conform to fcc standards at all.

This was just a recent problem. No environment changes. I am sitting 6' from the router and d/l'ing at 2MB vs 50-60MB with the 5GHZ. Maybe I just need to swap out the router to rule it out.

Yup. Start from scratch with the basics to narrow down the problem. There's gotta be something going on and you'll run into it soon enough...

I am standing 3" from the router and 1-3MB via speedtest. I removed nearly every device with potential interference and no change. I can't even get NETGEAR on the phone. I am outside newegg's 3 month return policy for refurbished items.

If I want to replace the main router, do I need to use NETGEAR or can I go with a different brand? My setup is fairly easy where I am using the 2nd router as an AP using the same SSID/encryption but different channels.

Last edited:
You can use any brand router. Check out the archer c7.

Bad hardware. Swapped #2 router for #1 and I am back to 50-60MB d/l via 2.4GHZ. It works fine for 5GHZ so I'll sell it cheap.

I guess I might be wrong. I am seeing similar results (1-2MB d/l speeds) with the new router but it is not consistent. It seems to go away after I unplugged the Rocketfish Wireless Speaker Kit (operates on 2.4GHZ). However, it is currently plugged in and I am back to normal download speeds. Is it fair to assume that this device can change channels at will causing interference at random times?

I guess I might be wrong. I am seeing similar results (1-2MB d/l speeds) with the new router but it is not consistent. It seems to go away after I unplugged the Rocketfish Wireless Speaker Kit (operates on 2.4GHZ). However, it is currently plugged in and I am back to normal download speeds. Is it fair to assume that this device can change channels at will causing interference at random times?

Yes, eliminate the wireless speaker kit.

Yes, eliminate the wireless speaker kit.

I need an alternate solution as I can't run wires to the rear speakers. Monoprice has a wireless solution that allows me to specify channels. The best solution is a 5GHZ variant but I don't see too many products on the market.

No, the best solution is to run wires. It is always possible to run wires, just not to have them 100% hidden.

If you get a 5ghz solution your 5ghz wifi won't work.

Fix it the right way, run wires yourself or pay someone to run wires.

No, the best solution is to run wires. It is always possible to run wires, just not to have them 100% hidden.

If you get a 5ghz solution your 5ghz wifi won't work.

Fix it the right way, run wires yourself or pay someone to run wires.

Why? Wouldn't the large 5GHZ spectrum eliminate interference?

I don't see any possible way to run the wires cleanly. It is an open room and I can't just run the wires across the floor. I also have a 7 month old that is starting to be mobile so it needs to be completely safe.

Does it seem to go away or it definitely goes away every single time you eliminate the speakers?

Does it seem to go away or it definitely goes away every single time you eliminate the speakers?

There's an IMMEDIATE improvement. However, after reconnecting, it often takes some time for the speed to decrease. I am attributing that to the speaker transmitter slowly moving into the same frequency causing the interference.

I don't see any possible way to run the wires cleanly. It is an open room and I can't just run the wires across the floor. I also have a 7 month old that is starting to be mobile so it needs to be completely safe.

Would along the walls work? I've seen flat, paintable speaker cable before.
Could also get some of those cable anchors and secure it to the trim on the bottom of the floor.

Would along the walls work? I've seen flat, paintable speaker cable before.
Could also get some of those cable anchors and secure it to the trim on the bottom of the floor.

I have a 6 month old so it's a no-go. The room has an open layout where we have a large sectional against the backwall with the TV on the opposite wall. The left side of the room is completely open and there's an opening to the kitchen on the back wall. There's no easy way to run the cable without it being completely obvious. I have no problem with a 5GHZ solution but even the baby monitor is 2.4GHZ but that is only used at night. I don't have a lot of options here.

Back