Razer Barracuda AC1 Sound Card

calikool

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone have this card? Do you think it does a better job vs. Creative Labs X-Fi Gamer card?

I saw that it was posted in the hot deals for $60 at buy.com and free shipping. I was wondering if my sound would be any better with this card. I like the point that it doesn't take any system memory but I have plenty to spare right now.

I checked newegg.com and it looks like there can be serveral issues with this card and that they didn't have vista drivers forever. It could be better now. I see a new dirver for Vista on the website Razer Barracuda AC-1 Driver v2.22c (VISTA) Modified: 12 Feb 2008 01:21 AM. Maybe they are trying to get rid of the card as soon as possible by lowering the main suggested price.

Maybe they are trying to get rid of the card as soon as possible by lowering the main suggested price.

If that is the case and they are dropping this card for a new one, than i would wait a little longer. The deal will most likely come around again, and by then the vista drivers should be more mature.

I bought the card on eBay for $61 shipped, NIB, sealed. The current Vista drivers are beta and not signed, so F8 is an option. The card seems to work quite well when running in unsigned driver testing mode, but it's a hassle to have to sit there every time I turn it on and go through the boot menu. I'd go for a nice X-Fi XtremeGamer, just the basic one--no Fatal1ty signed stuff. I'm sure the will get the driver support better, and maybe even the next generation of the card (AC-2?) will be even better. I also have the HD-1 headset, which currently runs off an XtremeGamer, and it works wonderfully with the 5.1 surround sound headphones. The woofers are pretty nice, obviously nothing like a 12" sub, but they sure can rattle your head.

It took a while for me to figure out how to get it running on vista properly. After I figured it out, its as smooth as it can be. No issues with vista x64 whatsoever.

The card is pretty damn good, It wouldn't be the card of my choice, but I got it as a gift, so im not complaining. I'd get the auzentech prelude.

It took a while for me to figure out how to get it running on vista properly. After I figured it out, its as smooth as it can be. No issues with vista x64 whatsoever.

The card is pretty damn good, It wouldn't be the card of my choice, but I got it as a gift, so im not complaining. I'd get the auzentech prelude.

Care to elaborate on how you managed to get it working "smooth as can be" and "No issues with vista x64"? I can get the card working just fine with F8 booting as I stated before. I also want to run it in tandem with a Creative X-Fi XtremeAudio for my old ADA995 THX Certified speakers. (Which are aresome)

Download v2.22c from razerzone

Go to device manager > right click on sound card > update driver > and select the folder downloaded from razer > then go "next" all the way.

That should get the sound card working without a problem.

After that, run the .exe file from the downloaded folder AFTER the drivers were installed, and that will install the control panel problem free.

Tried, done, tried, and done it. As I said before it's NOT a signed driver according to my Vista x64 installation. Therefore it WILL NOT LOAD THE DRIVER without the F8 disable driver signing enforcement boot option.

I dont think I have ever pressed the F8 button on my keyboard, for this and any other instalation :p

It did take me a good 2 days to get it working, turned out the above steps worked for me very well.

nevertheless, razer is absolute disaster when it comes down to driver support.

I've tried numerous things to get this card working, ONLY under the circumstances of disabling driver signing does it work. And it works quite well under that. But, I highly doubt that you just plain installed it under Vista x64 no problem, EVERY time I try it tells me that it encountered an error with the driver and fails to work. Also, the above steps are the standard BASIC ways of installing a driver. The exe also tried to install a driver, along with the software, it says it's successful, but it never ends up working after a reboot.

There driver support taking ages with the drivers and then having a few games that did 5.1 in software mode. They finally fix the problem where settings didnt stick after you reboot. and it took them years to do so.

Plus wasnt happy with it any more is the major reasons why I sold my Razer barracuda AC1 Sold the HP1 along with it and got me a prelude. Never looked back..

I have had mixed thoughts about this card. Firstly I always thought the bass was lacking a bit and it was a bit picky about some games (i.e. prey could only be played in stereo). I got the impression that the razer team were a bit slow in getting good solid drivers out especially signed drivers. Saying that the range of dolby features were excellent for movies/music and I have come to quite like the card. However I paid a pretty penny for it when it first came out and really you could the same chipset on a far cheaper card - but with the low prices at the moment it is certainly worth a look.

Back