Raven 2 Evolution has a lack of airflow?

Please, man, read the article you linked.

In fact, the front of the case was completely blocked, preventing air from passing in or out, and instead packed intake fans mounted in the bottom of the case.

Likewise, the Raven's exhaust fans were located on top instead of in the back. The idea seemed simple: when the internal components such as the CPU and GPU start to heat up, that heat rises creating the stack effect. Rather than fight this natural phenomenon, Silverstone decided to work with it.

I have the RV02, and it works great. Although the buttons are cheap.

LOL.

Silverstone Fail. Let's get our pitchforks and meet up at the town square!!! They must die!

I was being sarcastic - I've owned about six different generations of Silverstone cases over the last 3-4 years so I'm pretty familiar with them. It's actually AMAZING how well the RV02 and FT02 series cool despite not having front intakes! It's as if it's by magic!

King, do you have any intake vents on the front? Fans with air filters?

Come on, dude - just read the damned review you linked to. If you did, you'd understand that Silverstone's been going with a 90* rotated motherboard design for the last couple of years now. The intakes are at the BOTTOM of the case and 3x180mm fans help to move the hot air UP and out of the TOP of the case. It's based on the concept that heat rises. There have been numerous threads on both the RV02 and FT02 cases that show this.

Can we end this thread now?

Doh, my bad. Guess I've been brainwashed by front grills/fans of like... 99% of the case market. A thought though, wouldn't more warm air gather at the bottom of the case, where generally there is less airflow, rather than a front of the case air intake area?

Doh, my bad. Guess I've been brainwashed by front grills/fans of like... 99% of the case market. A thought though, wouldn't more warm air gather at the bottom of the case, where generally there is less airflow, rather than a front of the case air intake area?

Man, you're just not helping your cause at all . . .

Do you see those three HUGE ass 180mm fans at the bottom of the case there? What do you think they do? Even without them, heat typically RISES because hot air is lighter than cold air (that's how hot air balloons work) but with three big ol' fans there blowing upwards, it think it works fine.

Edit: is this a troll thread? I am being suckered into answering these questions??? I need a beer.

Sometimes, it takes a second to be kind, and not be a total elitest douchebag. Think about that the next time someone asks a question.

Mods can now lock this thread if they want. My question about lack of good intake airflow from the bottom of a huge case went unanswered and I was just berated for not knowing about airflow.

Sometimes, it takes a second to be kind, and not be a total elitest douchebag. Think about that the next time someone asks a question.

If it were an innocent question, like linking to the newegg product page or even a generic google image of the case, then sure, it would warrant us to be kind. But you linked a review that clearly explains and shows everything and never bothered to look at it or at the least, read the review, its your own fault really.

The case does not have a lack of intake with 3 180mm intake fans at the bottom, its far greater than most (if not all) front intake cases can achieve.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Mods can now lock this thread if they want. My question about lack of good intake airflow from the bottom of a huge case went unanswered and I was just berated for not knowing about airflow.

But the thing is I DID answer your questions - twice. We all have brain farts from time to time but once you ask a (dumb) question and the answers are pointed out to you, it doesn't help that you compound your error by further refusing to even acknowledge the answers you were already given.

Alright guys.

Mysticode, if you go towards the top of the page, just above the original post, you'll see "Thread Tools." Click on it, and then click "Ok" to close to the thread.

I am still curious of this, and have to ask (save your tomatoes and other random fruit for throwing).

IF fans are below a case, in-taking from below a case, I honestly think it would impede the suction of the intake because its below a large case. If I fan is taking from an unobstructed side of a case, such as the front, wouldn't allow more air to be sucked in?

I am still curious of this, and have to ask (save your tomatoes and other random fruit for throwing).

IF fans are below a case, in-taking from below a case, I honestly think it would impede the suction of the intake because its below a large case. If I fan is taking from an unobstructed side of a case, such as the front, wouldn't allow more air to be sucked in?

IF the bottom of the case sat directly on the floor, I'd understand your concern - but it does not. You can clearly see that the feet on the case provide about 1-2" of clearance at the bottom of the case, which is more than enough room for intake. Provided that such clearance exists, what's the difference if the intake is taken in from the front versus the rear versus the bottom?

Furthermore, most cases give you 1x120mm front intake - which is typically blocked by the HDD drives or some other obstructions. Here you have THREE (3) 180mm (much bigger, higher airflow) fans sucking in cool air from the bottom and blowing directly upwards in a straight path with fewer obstructions. In theory, which do you think would work better?

Fans do not need a lot of space in front of them to effectively draw in air, but they do need some space, which is the why such cases are raised from the ground by rather large feet, in this case (no pun intended), 1". Any case that draws air from the bottom would have large feet and enough space to draw in air, as opposed to front intake cases. E.g. the 800D has large feet to feed air into the PSU and HDDs and the bottom chamber.

The case has four feet raising it 2.5cm off the ground, and this height is important as it allows enough air to be sucked under the case by the internal fans.

Some front air intake cases don't even enjoy that luxury, as they are blocked off from the front for aesthetic reasons (some lian li cases have this) and forced to intake air from the sides.

Thank you for the clear answer yenniedn, I can imagine this thing is quite the vacuum of dust then if there is so much suction from below the case :)

I have mine next to me on a desk. I haven't a computer on the ground for many years. So it helps with dust, plus I feel like I'm degrading my computer by putting it on the ground.

Once again I apologize for not realizing this thing does not NEED grills and fans on the front, due to its flipped innards... been a long day at work, I miss the details!

Back