Rate this build

overall decent

If your friend plans on overclocking then get the Q6600 G0 SLACR. this one has a picture with SLACR on it (no cpu fan comes with it though) so it should be it but if u want a guarantee then get the one from clubit.com

I would also opt for this gigabyte p35 mobo because its a good oc'er and is only $99.

You could also get by with the corsair hx520 or hx620

and if you do those then u should have extra money to spend on a nice looking case for your friend. :D these are just suggestions though but what u have is already a good build

The Centurion 5 case uses an 80mm fan in the front. You should get something that uses mostly/only 120mm fans, such as the Elite 330 or the http://www.svc.com/rc-690-kkn1-gp.html.

Also, if you haven't bought everything yet, don't get it all from one place (e.g., NewEgg). If you search around, you could save some money by ordering from two or more places. (Check out the sticky on the first page for a list of [H]-approved stores.)

Pretty good build. Change the case to an Antec P182, the power supply to an HX520, the GTS to a GT and the Vista Ultimate to Premium.

yeah, I pulled the trigger on it already.

The thermalright 120 was unavailable, so we went with the tuniq tower instead.

I'll start the work log when I get everything in. It's going to be fun!

Looks like a solid setup. Good work.

Just note that with the Q6600 (B3 or G0 stepping,) the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme does pull ahead of the Tuniq. While they will both cool to a degree of each other at stock, many have found that the TRUE maintains stable temps at higher speeds (and vCore) than the Tuniq.

The Thermalright is in stock at Jab-tech and Petra, both reputable cooling part vendors. If your friend plans to overclock, it may be worthwhile to send back the Tuniq and get the Thermalright from one of these sites.

Note that the Thermalright will need a fan to go with it. The popular Scythe 1600rpm S-Flex fan is available for $20 from all major sites, but a $5 Yate Loon from Petra (and only Petra) will do just as good of a job.

Mark.

The 750W is way overkill. The Corsair 520W is more than enough for that build.

What size monitor does he have? The GT may have been a better buy.

Nice build. I just upgraded one of my PC's with similar parts and was able to OC to 3.4Ghz very easily with just a slight voltage bump. Your friend should be very happy with it.

personally I would still get the 750w (it is overkill but the price is good right now). Get this one instead of the PCPC one though.

Corsair 750TX ($89 after google checkout and mail in rebate)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206178325&ref=lmcd

Despite that being a great deal, I'd still skip it if I was the OP, since he plans on using a Centurion5 midtower case. The cables on that non-modular TX750 are long, so you'd have a bunch of bundled cables in such a small case. Since there's no need for 750W, the HX520 would be a more fitting PSU since its modular.

Back