Raspberry Pi first batch

THOMO

Gawd
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16316439

The eagerly anticipated Raspberry Pi home computer is about to go into production.
The $25 (£16) machine is being created in the hope that it will inspire a new generation of technology whizz kids.
The Pi uses an Arm chip similar to that found in mobile phones and is intended to run a version of the Linux open source operating system.
Test versions of finished devices are being checked and if all is well volume production will start in January.

Can't wait to get one and play. Also if XBMC comes out with a port I'm duct taping one to my TV and using it as a HTPC :D

Can't wait to get one and play. Also if XBMC comes out with a port I'm duct taping one to my TV and using it as a HTPC :D

Same.

Thanks for the heads up. It's a pity that it wasn't available for the holidays. I had one on my Santa list.

I plan on gutting a NeXTcube and sticking one of these little guys in it. Assuming I can get a decent deal on a NeXTcube, anyway.

I can't wait to play with one of these guys. And if there is a decent xbmc port every TV in my house will get one :D

I am pretty excited about this, I was just telling my nephew about linux and the value of learning it, I may snag him one of these, and a couple for me too.

It will be interesting to see how well this performs with the ARM processor.

It might be time to pick one of these bad boys up.

I do not understand how it is even possible to pay the royalties on the CPU for $25. Let alone make it.

Does anyone else notice it does not appear to have any screw holes to mount it?

there appears to be two holes that you can use for mounting, though they are next each-other, they look like they will hold such a small/light chip still.

Last edited:
I do not understand how it is even possible to pay the royalties on the CPU for $25. Let alone make it.

Does anyone else notice it does not appear to have any screw holes to mount it?

It depends on the CPU model and the license agreement.
To my knowledge, they are not all the same.

It depends on the CPU model and the license agreement.
To my knowledge, they are not all the same.

Ya and I would assume the ones that are decent are more expensive.

Last edited:
Ya an I would assume the ones that are decent are more expensive.

It may also depend on quantity of the processors sold, so the more that are produced/manufactured/sold will have higher royalties to pay.

I already have a sweet project in mind for this. Really looking forward to getting one in my hands.

I'd really like to try one of these things does anyone one know when/where you can order one?

Royalties? These types of processors cost under $20 each and you buy in bulk from suppliers.

For example, I found somebody who claims the processor in the iphone 4S costs apple $15 a pop. I imagine that the Rasberry Pi processor is cheaper.

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/iPhone-4S-Carries-BOM-of-$188,-IHS-iSuppli-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx

I have been stocking there webpage all weekend, it will defiantly be gone with in the first few hours.

This batch is also kinda like a experiment to see how much the demand will be, not everything on the board will be there, like DSI port is most likely not going to be there with this batch. its all to prove to the manufactures that in can make a profit for them,

Good news! they have a "Big" announcement at 0600GMT on Wednesday the 29.

Cant wait!

Am I the only one who thinks "liz" is a bit of a bitch?

Reading through her comments in that post and a few others really makes her come across as a miserable person.

Did you check the time zone? If its 0600 UMT then you need to change it to UMT on the timer. Its not specific. Instead its a countdown to whatever time in the timezone you choose.

It's 6:00 GMT, which is 10:00PM my time.

EDIT: Just to be more clear... It's in 5 hours.

Well, that was fast, they are all sold out already, lol.

I registered for info when the next batch comes. I am super interested in buying some of these to turn into other projects!

So, did anyone get one?

Last edited:
Back