Raptor 150 Drive Failed - Questions

Sneak

Limp Gawd
Basically this Western Digital drive has gone down. I got a couple of failed write errors on the screen and then a Smart Drive warning at bootup when the machine posted. It halted there and I had to choose to continue or go into the bios.

If I continue, I get a pretty good wait and then the chkdsk screen. I let it go through this once and it never actually booted up after a long time checking. It just stopped in place. There are major records that can't be read. Not all but a lot. If I skip Chkdsk, Windows XP looks like it is loading with the little blue scrolling bar and then the screen goes black but has an arrow cursor which can be moved around with the mouse. It never goes beyond that.

I can turn off the comp and disconnect the Raptor 150 drive and everything boots up fine. But without this drive attached I can not try any data recovery on it. So far I can't get the system up even in Safe Mode with the drive attached.

Any ideas how to have windows come up with this drive attached? Can I leave the power cable attached to this drive the then after the system comes up plug in the SATA data cable hot?

I have a feeling that the drive controller is giving up and maybe I can't recover any data. Sure would like to try though.

I can turn off the comp and disconnect the Raptor 150 drive and everything boots up fine.

Just sounds like the drive is trashed.

Go into the BIOS and remove that drive completely from the boot order or connect it via USB.

Back