Rant - GF's squeeky laptop

AchTuNG!

Gawd
My girlfriend bought a Benq Joybook lappy not too long ago from a big aussie retailer (that I personally dislike)... anyway, The hard drive started making squeeling noises, and I told her to take it back ASAP and get it swapped out.

anyway, she let it go for a little while, and it eventually start BSOD'ing quite frequently on boot up. I checked everything out just to make sure it wasn't software, then she flew back to where she bought it to have it looked at. The dumb nuts told her the noise was a fan and the BSOD was being caused by a software issue. Anyway, she's coming up tonight and I'm going to check it out and ring BenQ direct to try and get it sorted. Wish you could crack em open without voiding warranty...

I'd make it easy on yourself and see if you can run an HDD diagnostic on the machine. If it fails you know you've got a bad HDD. I'm sure there is a way to get them to boot off of a CD.

Squeeling is never a good thing even if it is just a fan but you should be able to hear the difference, especially if you put your ear up to HDD on the laptop.

Hard Drives generally don't squeal, at least not with a high pitch. Their casing generally muffles the worst of any sounds they make. Best guess would be a faulty fan --> overheating --> BSOD

Woofer00 said:
Hard Drives generally don't squeal, at least not with a high pitch. Their casing generally muffles the worst of any sounds they make. Best guess would be a faulty fan --> overheating --> BSOD

agree's
though if it was a intel based notebook
if the chip was overheating it would be automagicly slowing itself down to prevent thermal breakdown and damage. windows would only see the processor get slower and slower and it will not (by itself) cause BSOD's

more likly cause is bad factory windows load
once you start seeing BSOD's without a good reason its a good sign that the instalation has become corrupt. or your just running some funky alpha software ;)

I would run speed fan to chek how hot the CPU and HD are running and the smart status of the HD

if everything checks out good i would go with the bad windows load and try formatting and reinstalling and see how the machine goes after that

Back