Random reboots - but fixed now

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
I have my wife setup on an inexpensive FM2+ setup w/ R9 270 vidcard and a couple smaller SSD's and an old 320GB laptop drive, 16GB DDR 3.. for awhile now she has been experiencing random reboots.

When I checked the event viewer .. it did not give me any clues as to what was causing the reboots .. it just stated that it rebooted unexpectedly.

ran Prime for several hours to see if loading the system would cause a reboot.. nope

I checked temps on everything and they were all good and low.. updated drivers .. windows .. checked device manager for "unknown" devices .. etc ..

Ran virus/malware/spyware scans .. asked my wife if her computer rebooted when she had something in particular running .. etc .. nothing , no clues as to why it kept rebooting.

I got an older Dell computer in to work on that the PSU died in. Best Buy was having a sale on eVGA 600w PSU's that were as good a price as Newegg's.. so I bought a couple.

I swapped out my wife's Corsair 650w PSU with one of the eVGA's .. it's been a month now and no random reboots.

I am guessing that if I take that Corsair apart, I'll find a bad cap in there... but it would be nice if somehow windows could tell if an unexpected reboot was power related ..

..after thinking about it, I wonder if I would have stressed the video card if that would have triggered a reboot ... hmmm..

something to try "next time" ...

yes stressing the gpu probably would have caused it. glad you got it sorted.

Back