Random question about propping up case and HDD mounting

clayton006

[H]ard|Gawd
So question,
I've got a few computers that I need to prop up the back end of to make sure the PSU has enough space to breathe (bottom of case has small feet and I'm putting these cases on carpet). With my HDD's installed and the back of the case propped up, is there going to be any harm done to those HDD's by being "mounted" askew? I would imagine note as they are modern disks and I'm not moving the case while the drives have power, but figured I would ask all the same.

I don't think any non 90 degree (meaning horizontal, vertical, or on its side) orientation is recommended by manufacturers. Over time, the bearings could wear unevenly? I have no idea the technical reasons.

According to manufacturers 90 degrees is recommended but in the real world there is no difference. I have seen cases that mount the disk vertically. I think that heat would be more of a problem then mounting the disks askew.
One thing to keep in mind is that you do not want to move the disk while it is spinning. If you have the case propped up in some fashion you will want to make sure it is secure and not going to jolt the disk if it falls.

You know, you could also run some SMART tests on the drives to make sure that they are not being adversely affected by their position.

Most of my hard drives hang from their screws (the side is up). They don't appear to show any wear.

I guess I could take one apart and look.

I've got both cases on the level now and they are secure unless someone tries to really mess with it. Thanks for all of the advice.

Most of my hard drives hang from their screws (the side is up). They don't appear to show any wear.

I guess I could take one apart and look.

If they hang I'd say they would vibrate/move and that wouldn't be great.

As for propping up the back of cases, you could always prop up the front too, and stay level.

Hard drives are orientation independent; you can place a hard drive in any orientation and it will be fine. Laptops have spinning hard disks in them and they fair just fine. Heat and sudden shock are what you want to avoid. Keep the drives cool and make sure the drive won't physically fall, bump, or jostle while powered and you're set.

Back