Random blue screens when playing games.

HRslammR

2[H]4U
system in sig. when playing either ut2k4 or desert combat i get blue screens that lock up the system most of them having "memory dump" somewhere in there. sometimes it's just a blue screen. it just did it three times consecutively when playing desert combat. running windows 2000 with latest everything.

i had heard that blue screens in 2k usually means bad ram? yes? is that what this could be? and can RAM overheating have anything to do with a memory failure?

^ yes, test with memtest. He gave you a link to memtest+, I'm going to give you a link to memtest86.

If this happens in games it's probably a memory error. The main reasons for RAM problems are 1.) the RAM is faulty, no two ways about it; 2.) not enough voltage for the speeds/timings you're running it at; 3.) running it at timings it can't handle.

Overheating shouldn't be that much of a problem, unless your RAM is lower quality or defective and can't handle stresses (which is what programs like games, memtest, and Prime95 can do, they stress RAM (and CPU and such)).

Mine did that when I had my fsb too high, the ram wasnt stable at all and I would get memory dumps ALL THE TIME. Very homosexual.

So... your ram just isnt stable, like they said.

well i run the memtest86 every so often for hours on end and it never gives me a problem. so it probably is crappy RAM.

damn you fry's k-byte val-u-ram. :)

Lots of times the stop errors are due to page file problems. I used to have info on how to check and fix this, but I can't find it. I will take a look and try to find it again.

I had this problem with ram that wasn't bad on a system that I wasn't overclocking and all I had to do was raise the voltage going to the ram... as I raised the voltage slowly I would get less and less blue screens until now, I never get blue screens anymore. Its at 1.8 I think.

Originally posted by HRslammR
well i run the memtest86 every so often for hours on end and it never gives me a problem. so it probably is crappy RAM.

It could be but if you run memtest86 through for 24 hours and dont get one single error then your RAM should be ok.

I would spend more on RAM and PSU though next time and less on whatever else to make that possible. They are the two most important parts in your PC and the two parts that cause the most problems.

Originally posted by HRslammR

you have a gig of ram? (i'm assuming from the sig)

my friend was having similar problems .. though it'd just crash ... check the timing ... toms hardware had an article about it, having that much memory is a bit different than running 128mb :)

article

** might let you just play your games without having to run the test program every day.

Could be ram. Check to make sure your computer is not overheating also.

Back